Home Ratings & Reviews

Tatuaje Verocu Tubos (The red one)

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Nicaraguan Puro 6.1 x 54 Torpedo

I received this one in a bomb from a great BOTL (Alex, you da man!). I let it rest in my humi for 3 very long painstaking weeks. I wanted to wait a whole month just for posterity, but I snapped today and lit it up.

Pre light: This stick is beautifully constructed. Dark chocolate brown wrapper. Some visible veins and seams. Firmly packed. Very nice rich tobacco aromas from the wrapper. I cut it using a double guillotine and draw test is a little on the tight side.

First draw: I toast it using a single flame Bugatti B! torch lighter. First draw is smooth tobacco with pepper finish. Draw is pretty tight so I trim the cut a bit to open it up.

First Third: I'm not getting a lot of smoke production and the flavors are not very strong. I'm getting a lot of spice and pepper and some bitterness on the finish. It's pretty smooth, though. The burn is nice, but a little wavy. The draw is still pretty tight. The strength is medium right now and I'm picking up notes of cinnamon and earth. The ash is holding on nicely, but I have to make another cut to open up the draw, so I lose my ash.

Second third: The burn is pretty wavy and I have to make a few corrections here and there, but smoke production is picking up and the flavors are intensifying. I'm getting more rich tobacco flavors with hints of coffee and sweet spice. Strength has picked up to full now. Very smooth overall. I encounter a bit of a problem near the label. After I remove it, the wrapper starts to unravel a bit, making the the burn a little testy. I have to make more corrections, but smoke out put and flavors are still good.

Last third: After a few issues, the cigar really starts coming together at this point. I'm getting really thick chewy smoke. Lots of flavors, including cocoa, coffee and pepper. Now I'm really enjoying it. All the minor issues to this point have been worth it. If only the burn was a little sharper, this would have been a flawless cigar. I get it down to a nice nub and finally call it quits.

Hindsight is 20/20. A little rest out of the Tubo would probably have helped to avoid all the "issues". Despite the minor issues I had with the burn, this was a great smoke. The flavors were really intense and enjoyable. These are hard to come by for a decent price. But are definitely worth it for a "splurge" cigar. I would highly recommend it for anybody who has yet to try a Tatuaje. I'm definitely going to be adding these to my humi on a regular basis.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great pics, and review. I find myself wanting to like these cigars but I've had 2 thus far with major burn issues. I've enjoyed the one's I've had but near the last 1/3 or so I keep having one side go out on me and it ruins the flavor. I have 8 more and since taking off the caps I'm hoping it will help.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. Beautiful day in Chicago!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great pics, and review. I find myself wanting to like these cigars but I've had 2 thus far with major burn issues. I've enjoyed the one's I've had but near the last 1/3 or so I keep having one side go out on me and it ruins the flavor. I have 8 more and since taking off the caps I'm hoping it will help.
    If you end up hating them, I'd love to work out a trade!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I'm looking forward to the few I have.

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    smoked mine last night, i really enjoyed it. it had a couple burn issues but nothing big. very tasty. overall a stick I wouldn't have trouble paying the price for.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    dennisking:
    smoked mine last night, i really enjoyed it. it had a couple burn issues but nothing big. very tasty. overall a stick I wouldn't have trouble paying the price for.
    Glad you liked it dennis!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    and I'm glad you sent it Alex. thanks again, what a phenomenal gift