Home Cigar 101
Options

Cellophane wrapper question?

At cigarfest 2010 more than half of the cigar manufactures said to take them out of cellphane, I know this is big debate wheather to keep them in or out of wrapper. Will mild and maduro cigars blend? If it is better to acclimate them out of cellaphane for aging, what about keeping cellaphane on and cutting it down at bottom of cigar to open it up to humidity, but still have cellophane on to protect cigar?

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    It's one of those "age old" questions here on Ccom. If you do a search of "cellophane" you'll find numerous topics and opinions. It all depends on numerous factors and different situations. Each member will have developed their own preference.

Me? I keep them the way I bought them. I'm a "digger". Meaning I dig around my humi in search of what I want to smoke that day. So, the cello helps to protect my sticks from this bad habit.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Like lilwing said, do a search - opinions are all over the place, and it most often comes down to preference and your own habits.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As everyone has said, this is an age old topic here. When I first started, I had a tendency to take off the cello. I have an "aging" humidor, but I tend to forget how long they've been in there.

I didn't want to write on the cellophane, but I got an idea from another BOTL, and I now put small labels which I cut from computer labels, and list the date I put it in the aging humidor. If I take the cello off, I can't do it, so I am now firmly in the "keep the cello on" camp. It does come down to personal choice though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I would say if your storing cigars in their box in a humi or cabinet then cello doesn't really matter but for humi storing in singles cello keeps the sticks from getting damaged. I prefer cello really, just to keep them from any damage. I also feel it gives them a bit more protection from mold and other things... just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I just hate to see the guys in there all wrapped up. I let them go naked. I also think it contributes to that stunning smell you get when you open the box.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    fla-gypsy:
    I just hate to see the guys in there all wrapped up. I let them go naked. I also think it contributes to that stunning smell you get when you open the box.
    +1. The Smell you get from naked 'gars when you open your humi is really a great thing to have :-P I too put mine in w/out the cello
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I've been experimenting with this and am finding I really like to let them go naked. For longer storage of singles in the coolerdors I keep the cello on for protection, but when I take them out to put them in the humi to rest for smoking I unwrap them. They seem to acclimate better and faster. It might be purely psychological, but I think they smoke better after resting in the buff for a while :^)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    while at the davidoff event this weekend i hear someone ask the davidoff rep if they "should take the plastic off before putting them in the humidor" (she was buying for her non-present husband)

he said to leave them in the cello for protection.

its just personal preference in the end
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    while at the davidoff event this weekend i hear someone ask the davidoff rep if they "should take the plastic off before putting them in the humidor" (she was buying for her non-present husband)

very true but nothing is worse than having your sticks get all dinged up and split or torn from not having protection, well I guess beetles are worse.. but you know.. Though I think it's interesting to hear one rep from a company say one thing then another say the opposite on the same subject. You think it would be a general answer.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

very true but nothing is worse than having your sticks get all dinged up and split or torn from not having protection, well I guess beetles are worse.. but you know.. Though I think it's interesting to hear one rep from a company say one thing then another say the opposite on the same subject. You think it would be a general answer.
    im sorry, where was the opposite? i missed it?

that is interesting though. it just goes to show that even guys that "know what they are doing" have a personal taste on it and there is no "exclusive right way" of doing things.
  • Options
    Just that the guy from davidoff said to keep them on and others at cigarfest were saying take them off.. I believe a rep with perdomo said cello should be kept on as well when he was at my local shop.
  • Options
    brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73
    fla-gypsy:
    I second that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Just that the guy from davidoff said to keep them on and others at cigarfest were saying take them off.. I believe a rep with perdomo said cello should be kept on as well when he was at my local shop.
    ah, i was thinking it was on this thread or another active thread that i missed.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ah, i was thinking it was on this thread or another active thread that i missed.
    nope your all good..
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    fla-gypsy:
    I do this as well.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have a 20ct office humi that has 10 of each of 2 different types of cigars. So since I won't need to be digging, I decided to try the naked storage and see what I think about it. My 2 humis at home though, I have the cello on since I am always digging.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Here is the definitive answer on cellophane.

There is no definitive answer on cellophane.

• Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I had the same Question when I started filling my humi. My solution was some have the cello some don't. Hopefully I'll come up with the answer that works for me at least. Just another option to see if it wakes a difference to you.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i have an opus x in mine im aging in the bottom still in the cello because thats the way it came. when i first started i was researching a lot and found that like smoke fire said, there is no definite answer. it is alll personal preference. jut depends on what you would like to do, see, and smell. i personally leave mine the way they come from the local b&m. again thats my personal preference. whatever your choice may be, make sure you don't damage you 'gars without the cello. as we all know they are fragile.
  • Options
    rruffmanrruffman Posts: 16
    I searched high and low for a solution as i think optimal humidity is gained with the wrappers off I stumbled across these cigar dividers http://cgi.ebay.com/CIGAR-DIVIDERS-5-x-2up-x-7-Inch-Premium-Spanish-Cedar-/150447815492?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2307637b44 I followed the instructions and seasoned them and placed them in between each type of my cigars in my humidor they work well eBay currently seems to be the only place i have found them..
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    YankeeMan:
    I didn't want to write on the cellophane, but I got an idea from another BOTL, and I now put small labels which I cut from computer labels, and list the date I put it in the aging humidor. If I take the cello off, I can't do it, so I am now firmly in the "keep the cello on" camp. It does come down to personal choice though.
    This is what I do, too. I cannot keep track of which cigar came in when, and I like to rest my cigars as long as possible before smoking. I always find myself ordering more of certain cigars, so I have some that came in months ago, and new ones right off the truck. Keeping the cello on and labeling them with a date is a prefect way to keep track. And like others said, it doesn't do any harm.