Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone been to Madrid and/or Paris?

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
I book my honeymoon over the weekend... we are doing 5 days in Madrid then taking an overnight train to Paris and staying there for 5 days...
just curious if any of you guys have been to either place... I haven't, in fact it will be my first trip out of the country, so I'm pretty excited about it...

I speak a little Spanish, but not a lick of french... thinking about getting Rosetta Stone

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    My best friend's lived in England for the past 3 years, and he's been to Paris a few times. Needless to say, you don't want to hear his opinions on Paris. Unfortunately, I have not been outside the country and have no input of my own. I'm sure you'll enjoy your honeymoon though - sounds pretty cool!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Paris is great! Only bad thing - Parisians ;)... Make sure you are nice to the people and don't sound like a clueless American. Otherwise you might be in for a treat. Especially if you can't afford to be in high-class places where things are more professional...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I've been to Paris several times, and am... workably fluent in French, so that may have changed my experience. I love it there. I think it is one of the greatest cities in the world. Regardless of politics, France is truly one of the finest places to vacation in the world.

Take one of the day long bus tours of the city. That way you will get to see all of the outdoor sites in one go, and you won't have to spend all day trying to find spots you want to see. Make sure to make it to Montemartre, especially to see the Basilique du Sacr
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    that side door sounds key... like something out of the movie Swingers...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I found people in Paris pretty much the complete opposite of how everyone said they'd be. I spoke French, or at least tried to, and people were nice and polite. You have to keep in mind their mindset. They pride themselves on their culture and how well they speak is very important to them. They are often very shy about the way they speak English, but if they see you trying to speak French they will be much more accommodating and nice and will often try to speak English.

As far as stuff to do in Paris....5 days isn't enough. Hell, a month isn't enough. Plan on going back. I don't know what all you like to do, but if it's Museums and art galleries get yourself a Museum pass. It lets you bypass the long lines in front of the places and get in for free, or at least for a massive discount. That saves you so much time it's unbelievable. Rick Steves puts out some excellent books on Europe, I would go to his site and order the one on Paris and Madrid. Great, great guides. They will make your trip ten times better if you read them. I could talk about stuff to do in Paris for days. It really depends on what you like to do. I could probably spend a week in the Louvre alone. It's an amazing city.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I found people in Paris pretty much the complete opposite of how everyone said they'd be. I spoke French, or at least tried to, and people were nice and polite. You have to keep in mind their mindset. They pride themselves on their culture and how well they speak is very important to them. They are often very shy about the way they speak English, but if they see you trying to speak French they will be much more accommodating and nice and will often try to speak English.

As far as stuff to do in Paris....5 days isn't enough. Hell, a month isn't enough. Plan on going back. I don't know what all you like to do, but if it's Museums and art galleries get yourself a Museum pass. It lets you bypass the long lines in front of the places and get in for free, or at least for a massive discount. That saves you so much time it's unbelievable. Rick Steves puts out some excellent books on Europe, I would go to his site and order the one on Paris and Madrid. Great, great guides. They will make your trip ten times better if you read them. I could talk about stuff to do in Paris for days. It really depends on what you like to do. I could probably spend a week in the Louvre alone. It's an amazing city.
    Absolutely right on Russ. It has been over twenty years since I visited, but found, if I just said hello and how are you in french, the smiles would form on their face and they would be very friendly and helpfull. I miss Paris!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been to Madrid, through Paris, but it was many years ago. I really enjoyed Madrid, went to the Del Prado Art museum, learned that a bidet is NOT for washing your feet, (her: what are you doing, honey? Me: using the foot washer... her: oh for goodness sake, I'm glad I came back in time, next you'd have been brushing your teeth!) Also learned that you don't buy new bottles of wine, just take your bottle to the bar and ask them to fill it up, "Tinto Vino por favor", and you'll save about 80% on your wine purchases. Have fun!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    robbyras:
    that side door sounds key... like something out of the movie Swingers...
    "this place is dead anyway..."
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    No, but I saw One Night In Paris! Does that count....?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ and Dark Roast. Went to Paris with my ex a few years ago and as long as you respect their culture and at least attempt to speak French (even if it's bonjour - then ask if they speak english), they will be very accomodating and gladly speak english to you.

Check out Harry's New York bar for a cozy little place with some great bar tenders. Get lunch or at least snacks from some of the street vendors (crepes were amazing and I got a bag of roasted chestnuts - awesome). See the Louvre for sure and Versailles is worth the trip. We spent almost a week and it wasn't long enough. Check out some of the churches (I'm not religious, but it was worth it for the history and architecture) - actually, just walking around the city, I was amazed by the architecture - everything is a work of art.