Home Cigar 101

how big of a threat is mold?

gkargolgkargol Posts: 9
Got my new humidor today and ive begun the seasoning process. Do i need to do something to prevent mold growth or should i just not worry.

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    As long as you keep the humidity and temperature where it's supposed to, you'll never have to worry about mold. General consensus here is 70/70, so if you stick to that, you're good. Some people even shoot for somewheres between 65% and 70% rH.

• gkargolgkargol Posts: 9
    well i can keep the humidity right around 70, but my house temp is around 76 so thats what the humi will be at also...
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Trying to invest in a tiny fan may not be such a bad idea for ya. I can't really give any leads atm though because the oust fans arn't in production anymore and I'm not really away of a great automatic alternative atm :-/

Also I've never tried this myself, but I've read somewhere that to help lower the temp in a humi is to put a few ice cubes in a zip lock bag in your humi and change them out every so often. Again, haven't tried myself, but may be worth a try if you're really concerned.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The biggest thing is to make sure the humidity stays in check, a temp of 76 is not going to cause mold by itself, my humidors stay at that temp or higher pretty much all summer long and I've only ever had mold on one cigar, and that happened in the winter due to a humidifier malfunction (read as operator failure). So yes mold is a possibility, but as long as you keep within certain parameters you should be fine, just try not to go above 72% RH and try to keep the temp between 70-75 or so, basically not 80+ degrees.
  • gkargolgkargol Posts: 9
    Alright, thats good to hear. Ive got a few more days before my humi is cigar ready so just gonna try to keep it 70% RH or below to be safe. Thanks
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    My house is extremely hot and my coolerdor sits at a constant 79-81 degrees. However the humidity is stable at 65. Is mold not a concern in these conditions?
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    mrpillow:
    My house is extremely hot and my coolerdor sits at a constant 79-81 degrees. However the humidity is stable at 65. Is mold not a concern in these conditions?

I'd say probably not if it's a consistent 65% rH. My humi is usually around 67% and it gets hot with mine in the summer, 75+ normally, and I've never gotten any mold.

• Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    The one thing I would add to all the good advice given so far is that if you plan on using a foam humidifier puck, save yourself some trouble and throw it directly into the trash and get some beads, gel jar, bovida packs, or drymistat tubes. Beads would be my preference. The pucks almost always mold eventually.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    mrpillow:

I'd say probably not if it's a consistent 65% rH. My humi is usually around 67% and it gets hot with mine in the summer, 75+ normally, and I've never gotten any mold.

mold has more to do with RH than temp. i wouldnt worry if you are at 65%
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Duder2:
    The one thing I would add to all the good advice given so far is that if you plan on using a foam humidifier puck, save yourself some trouble and throw it directly into the trash and get some beads, gel jar, bovida packs, or drymistat tubes. Beads would be my preference. The pucks almost always mold eventually.
    +1

I had a puck that got some mold twice. Bought a jar of Humicare gel and haven't had a problem with mold or my humidity since. It works great with my 50 ct. humidor, keeps the humidity consistant. If I had a larger one, I would be investing in some beads.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    watch out for tubes, you might get a surprise...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    +1, since your house is that hot, I would NEVER use a foam puck because it would only take a short time to have an issue if you forget to check on it for a little while.

"Long ashes my friends."