Home Cigar 101
Options

Reverse osmosis

The Boveda packs use reverse osmosis, I was dissapointed to find out that they recommend leaving it in your box for14 days before putting the cigars in. I would think this would be the most efficient way but like I said, my gars would have to be plucked out and put in bags in the meantime. I would think over a given time the reverse osmosis would eventually balance out the box naturally, even with the gars inside it should do the job Meganerd

Comments

• Options
    kgonepostlkgonepostl Posts: 3
    It would theoretically take much longer but I'm fine with that. Thoughts?
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I'd just use a shallow dish of water. You are trying to season your humidor, right? After 24-48 hours with the dish in your humidor, just stick the Boveda pack and the cigars in the box and they'll be fine.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Seasoning typically takes anywhere from 3 days to a week, less if you have a 20-count. The reason is that the wood is absorbing water/humidity. If you put your cigars in too early, then the wood will still absorb humidity/water, but it'll absorb the humidity from your cigars, instead of that bowl of water bacon.jay recommended
  • Options
    kgonepostlkgonepostl Posts: 3
    bacon.jay:
    I'd just use a shallow dish of water. You are trying to season your humidor, right? After 24-48 hours with the dish in your humidor, just stick the Boveda pack and the cigars in the box and they'll be fine.

I like this idea a lot, it's a 50 count so two days?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kgonepostl:
    bacon.jay:

there really is no set time. its really when it reaches 70% RH that your good to go.

i like to get it to 75% RH then bring it back down to 70 or 65 depending on what you want then add the cigars.

take the time to season correctly. if you dont you could be sorry.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kgonepostl:
    The Boveda packs use reverse osmosis, I was dissapointed to find out that they recommend leaving it in your box for14 days before putting the cigars in. I would think this would be the most efficient way but like I said, my gars would have to be plucked out and put in bags in the meantime. I would think over a given time the reverse osmosis would eventually balance out the box naturally, even with the gars inside it should do the job Meganerd
    Every time I've seasoned with the Boveda seasoning kit (twice) it only takes a day or two to reach 70. The manufacturer says to leave it in there for ten days though. I don't know if all that extra time is really necessary for a small desktop. Maybe it is. I dunno. No matter what method you use, patience is your friend here.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yeah patience is important. I've never used the season packs only the hygro packs.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    kgonepostl:
    bacon.jay:

there really is no set time. its really when it reaches 70% RH that your good to go.

i like to get it to 75% RH then bring it back down to 70 or 65 depending on what you want then add the cigars.

take the time to season correctly. if you dont you could be sorry.

Kuzi knows all. I should have added that to my original post:

bacon.jay:

I leave the dish in my humi until it has been at least 70% or more for a day without the cigars.

Hey Kuz, we should get together again some time since I missed the MI/OH herf at your place.

• Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    when i got my humi, i got the boveda seasoning pack with it. when i read the pack and it said 14 days i almost died lol. i didnt want to wait that long. so i let it rest in there for 48 hrs and then put a shot glass of distilled water in there with the boveda pack and let it sit for another 24 hrs. i got home and looked at the shot glass to see if any water was missing and there was a very small amount actually absorbed. i filled it back up again and this time took the boveda pack out. i let it sit for another 24 hrs and looked in it again and no water was missing. i put my humi gel in and my sticks in. ever since then my humidity has been as stable as it could be until i ended up getting it over half full.
  • Options
    doesn't it make a difference the RH of the room in which you store your humidor?

My house in January has a RH of about 20%. In the spring before the AC kicks on the RH is about 65% indoors, then in the summer the AC is on, and doors / windows closed and the RH goes down again.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    aspinallar@comcast.net:
    doesn't it make a difference the RH of the room in which you store your humidor? My house in January has a RH of about 20%. In the spring before the AC kicks on the RH is about 65% indoors, then in the summer the AC is on, and doors / windows closed and the RH goes down again.
    Answer - it depends. In a perfect world, no, your room RH wouldn't make any difference since your humidor would have a perfect seal and only leak out enough humidity to keep the ammonia out (remember that humidors are supposed to leak some humidity, mostly to exchange air and get rid of ammonia that can accumulate from the aging process)

But we don't live in a perfect world, and the seal on your humidor isn't perfect . . . the exception is if you have a tupperdor or coolerdor lined with spanish cedar, in which case you have an airtight seal and don't need to worry about room RH at all. Otherwise, the answer is yes - if the RH is low, your humi will not only take longer to season since all the humidity is being sucked out, but once it's seasoned, you'll have to refill your humidification device much more often than you will in the spring.

How often will you have to refill? That depends on how good your humi seal is, so just play it by ear and check your humi once a day until you know how long a refill lasts. For me in Florida, the humidity is high in summer, low in winter, so I'm refilling once every week or two in the summer and once every day or two in the winter when my room RH drops to 40% or so