Home Cigar 101
Options

Humi Seal

FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
Humididty has dropped to 60 over the last week.
The seal in my humidor doesnt even seen to be there as there is no 'friction' when I close the lid.

Im thinking that this is due to the increased heat.

Any suggestions? Should I re season the area where the humi seals?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    re-seasoning will cause the wood to swell, but only temporarily. You might try moving it to a different part of your house if the problem is just the heat, but it sounds like the seal is busted.

One thing you might try if you're desperate enough, is to buy some aquarium sealant (odorless, and non-toxic), and put it around the lid lips - once it dries, cut/sand it down so the lid can close, and that may give you a seal (I've never tried this before, so I've got no idea how this'll work)
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    Humididty has dropped to 60 over the last week.
    The seal in my humidor doesnt even seen to be there as there is no 'friction' when I close the lid.

Im thinking that this is due to the increased heat.

Any suggestions? Should I re season the area where the humi seals?

Did you do the dollar test?
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I have a 3-drawer humi that had some gaps between the drawers that I thought was contributing to low humidity (in the winter). Fiance and I went to the craft store and I picked up some adhesive backed felt. Cut it into strips and used it to create a tight seal when the drawers were closed.

It's not a 100% vapor-proof seal but it certainly worked. The great thing is that the felt has some give to it, so even though it was VERY tight at the start, it formed down to a good seal. It also gives the drawers a nice feel when they close, as it feels like they "lock" in.

Worse case the stuff just pulls off.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I have a similar problem apparently developing in my office humi. Humiditity is dropping slowly but surely inspite of recharging the humidifier, it is currently at 64%, not too much to worry about at the moment, but I do like to aim for 70%. It's a small 20 count ccom humi, I 'hurried' the seasoning a bit, so I could stock it to save me carrying sticks to and fro between home and work. I did try the "whoosh" test as well as the $ bill test and the seal seems to be okay all the way round. I might just be that I did not season it enough. Also, my office is heavily air conditioned and the temp is typically 68 - 72 degrees but with the seal being okay I didn't think that could be a factor. I'm going to try reseasoning (being more patient this time) and fitting a gel humidifier see if that fixes it.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I USED THIS. It works great.

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

So I lightly re seasoned the seal area of the humi, recharged the beads ( I didnt think the beads really needed re charging, but did so anyway). It held 70 nicely for a week. I will check again later this week and see if it is still holding up.