Home Cigar 101
Options

How long should I let them sit in the humi before smoking?

gkargolgkargol Posts: 9
I just got a couple 5 vegas (Gold, Miami). How long do they need to stay in the humidor before I smoke them. And should I take them out of the cello rappers?

Comments

• Options
    coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    up to you my man! Fire one up now see how it is, then let some age a few weeks and try again. You will know if the rest did them well or was a waste of time. I have had several right off the truck and have them after resting a month or so. I am still a newb, but I feel if want to smoke something, I will just go ahead and fire it up. I am not too patient either though. That is why it is a good idea to get at least 5 packs, that way you try one as soon as you get it if you like, and let the other age.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I like to let mine rest a week or two before smoking, though if I'm really excited, I'll fire one up right off the truck. As for cello . . . use the search bar on this forum - this question has a hundred threads about it already and a thousand responses, and generally boils down to personal preference
  • Options
    gkargolgkargol Posts: 9
    im a newb myself and extremly impatient which is why im asking, dont want to ruin something that could be great. I also dont know what to do when it comes to cello rappers.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It's no big deal to ask - we've all asked about the cello at one point or another, it's just that the question pops up about once a week or so, and we've all thrown in our responses, so if you use the search, you'll get tons of answers instead of waiting for a reply on a new thread.

If you're impatient, there's no reason not to fire up a cigar the day you get it; it's jsut that when cigars first get off the truck, depending on your climate, they can smoke a bit harsh and you may not like it (but then again, they may smoke great right off the truck). Just experiment, and if it smokes harsh, just lay the rest of the cigars down for a week or two and they'll taste much better (or maybe they won't if your palate just doesn't care for them)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I usually wait between 1 minute and 1+ year.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I usually smoke one right after I take them outta the ccom box, then let the rest ... umm.. rest.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I typically let my fuller bodied cigars rest longer than my mild cigars. IMO, there isn't much improvement on a mild cigar with more age, but on a fuller bodied cigar I can definitively tell a difference with age.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    whenever i get an order i will let them rest for about a week or so that way they get acclimated to your humi and stabilize. when they are getting shipped, depending on where you live, they can go through fifteen different climate changes. im only in ohio so its not a big weather difference to where c.com is. and like everyone has said and will keep saying its more personal preference. i know a buddy of mine has told me to let a pack rest for a week then pick one up and light it. then let the rest sit for another month and see and keep doing that. that way you are getting the feel in your palate of the aging process. my problem is when i go to my local b&m and get a stick i havent had before i usually only get one. i know shame on me lol but i just cant afford it right now. so in that case i usually light it up either at the shop or right when i get home. wither way its personal preference. hope this helps
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i almost never smoke a cigar that has been in my humidor for less than 6 weeks. that way i know that they are at the RH i want and have a tiny bit of rest to them. i feel that it evens out the burn. (i keep my humi at 65%)
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like everyone else here, I let mine rest. If I get an order of the same sticks, I split it between my aging humi and my smoking one. I rarely smoke anything until it has about 3 or 4 weeks on it, even out of the smoking humi.

I did cheat with my first order of Diesel and smoked one right out of the box!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gkargol:
    I just got a couple 5 vegas (Gold, Miami). How long do they need to stay in the humidor before I smoke them. And should I take them out of the cello rappers?
    Last year I got some of the 5 Vegas Gold that were great right off the truck, a couple months back I picked up some more, really looking forward to them, first one was like smoking paper-towels. 5-6 weeks later, they were quite good again. I remove the cellophane myself, although I learned here that cellophane does indeed 'breathe'. I've found that if your first cigar out of a batch was very dry, give the rest a good long time before smoking, too early seems to have been the source of splitting and cracking that I've experienced with some, apparently the inner leaf will re-humidify more quickly than the outer. Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I usually smoke one right after I take them outta the ccom box, then let the rest ... umm.. rest.
    lol... I tend to agree. I rarely get just one of a cigar and if I do I try to smoke it asap just to see if I want more. I've smoked some cigars right after getting them (AF Opus Lost City, ****, GOF, Gurkha Turk, Nub Connie) and they were pretty good, then I've smoked others (MOW's, ccom red label..) and they didn't strike my fancy. But with several months on them I really enjoyed them. MOW's are one of my favorite blends so it's always good to try them first then sit on the others. Just don't write off a cigar right away unless you think it's a dog rocket (rest/age won't make a bad cigar good).
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I got in two boxes of Rockys 10th anniversary cigars, they started to crack when lit. Those I'm setting aside for a few months. I've been digging into some 1990/92s that I've had for 6-9 months, now those are burning just perfect. I drove down from the cities the other day with a fresh cup of Starbucks, a 90 and a slice of lemon loaf.....heaven.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    i almost never smoke a cigar that has been in my humidor for less than 6 weeks. that way i know that they are at the RH i want and have a tiny bit of rest to them. i feel that it evens out the burn. (i keep my humi at 65%)

Totally agree with Kuzi here
    I find that if I smoke out of the box or without 4-6 weeks resting time, I totally increase the % of having a bad stick (bad burn, bad flavors etc).

When I smoke cigars that I have kept in the humi for at least the 4-6 week time, I rarely, rarely have any burn problems.

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I like to let them rest for at least a month before I smoke them, though I have been known to break this rule if I get really antsy.
    cabinetmaker:
    then let the rest ... umm.. rest.
    "allow myself to introduce... myself..."
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    I like to let them rest for at least a month before I smoke them, though I have been known to break this rule if I get really antsy.
    cabinetmaker:
    then let the rest ... umm.. rest.
    "allow myself to introduce... myself..."
    same here, I usually let them rest 4-6 weeks in the humi...especially if it's winter time and they came through the mail.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I begrudgingly agree with the no less than 4 week rule. Even though it REALLY makes me angry. As someone with more limited funds and smaller humi's, it sucks to not smoke when you really want to either A)relax with a cigar or B) try a cigar thats new. I don't understand why it should take more than a week to settle into the humi, but it does. Damn you mother nature!!
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    kuzi16:

I agree with kuzi, though when I go cigar shopping I will get something at my local that I haven't tried and I will smoke while I'm there. If I like it a lot, I will get four or more sticks. If its so-so but seems like it would do well with some age, I get two to take home and let rest. One for about a month to six weeks. If it seems to improve, I let the last go for another two to four months up to a year and in the interm, when I go back to the shop I might get some more of them. Some I like so much at the B & M when I first try them, I buy a box. I do have some cigars that I enjoy immensely that I have been aging three to six years so far, and over six years, forget it....I get too impatient