Home Cigar 101

101 Things Every Cigar Novice or Enthusiast Should Know

Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
So I've been working on this for a while now. I wanted to put the knowledge I got from here in one "concise" and hopefully useful for others list. Check it out and tell me what you think! Feel free to contribute more "things" in the comments. What are some of the stuff you think everybody should know?

http://wbfiller.com/101-things-every-cigar-novice-or-enthusiast-should-know-by-stan-bogdanov/

Cheers!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the 102nd thing to know is my address... so you can send me cigars.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Don't leave your humi open when you go to bed. Haha.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    104. Don't scratch your ear (or any other sensitive area) while you have a lit cigar in your hand! :)
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the 102nd thing to know is my address... so you can send me cigars.
    sightunseen:
    Don't leave your humi open when you go to bed. Haha.
    MrMoke:
    104. Don't scratch your ear (or any other sensitive area) while you have a lit cigar in your hand! :)
    LMAO - These are some very good suggestions! I can't believe I didn't think of the "don't leave your humi open" one taken my recent experience... Going after Mr.Moke, how about:

Be careful which end of the cigar you put in your mouth after its lit :)!
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    MrMoke:
    maybe a little side note to pay closer attention while enjoying adult beverages.... At least I needed a haircut anyway.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I really liked your list. It is a great thing for every novice to read. Kudos
    sirfoster83:
    I really liked your list. It is a great thing for every novice to read. Kudos
    Thanks, Sir Foster! However, I must say the list was only possible after I learnt all of this through this very forum... It really IS the answers to questions I had asked people here and off-forum... I hope it proves helpful for others so we don't repeat the same questions and mistakes...
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Awesome list. I passed it along to some of my new smoker friends. Thanks for sharing.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    #105 - When grilling and having a good time, make sure you look at your cigar before putting it in your mouth. In the midst of having a fun time at the grill, one can put the wrong end in
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Don't keep burros in your humi, no matter how fond of them you may be.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    #105 - When grilling and having a good time, make sure you look at your cigar before putting it in your mouth. In the midst of having a fun time at the grill, one can put the wrong end in
    ^ cracked me up
    #106 try not to drop your Diesel in a drink
    #107 While sitting on your front step smoking make sure you are aware of insect life nearby (mainly ants they tend to sneak up on you while you're not paying attention)
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    urbino:
    What if you made a separate divider or compartment for the burros?
    Garen B:
    urbino:
    What if you made a separate divider or compartment for the burros?
    LMFAO! Send them burros to me - I have a special compartment in my basement for them...
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Hey Stan, you ought to start working on a cigar/tobacco glossary now.

bacon.jay:

We are looking into it Jay ;)... In the mean time - you can help by starting the list :P! I am not sure where or how to start... Aren't there already some glossaries out there?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'd like to see a list of the 5 levels of the tobacco plant, as well as the different strains and what their characteristics are. Also, I know that certain soils contribute to the tobacco more than just altering taste, like a high magnesium concentrate gives a white ash (contrary to popular opinion, which says white ash is a symbol of quality - it's not, it's just a higher concentration of a few elements), etc - stuff like that would be cool
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    great site sir, truly amazing. to be honest I wish I would have had that about three to four moths ago when I started. I still did learn some stuff though. good job!!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    bacon.jay:

We are looking into it Jay ;)... In the mean time - you can help by starting the list :P! I am not sure where or how to start... Aren't there already some glossaries out there?
    I'll see what I can do. I'll probably cruise through the forums for a while and look at all the informational threads and start putting them into an Excel spreadsheet. I'm thinking that would be the easiest way to organize them, because you would be able to sort alphabetically.

I'd also suggest keeping a separate glossary for internet-specific stuff like abbreviations and acronyms, i.e. B&M, ROTT.

bacon.jay:
    Renaissance_Man:
    bacon.jay:

I'll see what I can do. I'll probably cruise through the forums for a while and look at all the informational threads and start putting them into an Excel spreadsheet. I'm thinking that would be the easiest way to organize them, because you would be able to sort alphabetically.

I'd also suggest keeping a separate glossary for internet-specific stuff like abbreviations and acronyms, i.e. B&M, ROTT.

If you do end up having some time to do something - PM me... I will eventually work on this towards the end of the month since I do think its a good idea. I tried searching for comprehensive glossaries, but couldn't find any. I guess a big questions is - how do we get authoritative data? Which means - if I say something is what I think it is, but it actually isn't - where do I get reliable data from? I mean we can't even agree on what's the "perfect" humidity level ;)... I guess this should be a collaborative effort where people can check the validity of the terms...
    BUMP for all the Newbs :)
    Bumping this up cause I see it referenced in some threads. I hope everybody still finds the list useful... I should probably try to organize it a bit...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    here's one: When filling up your torch lighter, don't hold it next to your ear to hear if you have enough gas in it...

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    here's one: When filling up your torch lighter, don't hold it next to your ear to hear if you have enough gas in it...
    Oh boy... I've done that to bad consequences...
    my regular bump...
  • this definitely helped alot.. im new to the cigar/pipe world but love it.. i have a small herf a dor, and have smoked several CAO and Drew Estates and Romeo y Juliets and love em. im looking into buying a bigger humidor and that gave me some pretty good general knowledge on what to do with a bigger humidor.. and not to use a zippo to light my cigars lol. tyvm!!

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    lol just read some of these and I have one to add. Do not swing a golf club with a lit gar in your mouth. I have a scar on my forearm still =p.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
    LithiumJake:

this definitely helped alot.. im new to the cigar/pipe world but love it.. i have a small herf a dor, and have smoked several CAO and Drew Estates and Romeo y Juliets and love em. im looking into buying a bigger humidor and that gave me some pretty good general knowledge on what to do with a bigger humidor.. and not to use a zippo to light my cigars lol. tyvm!!

I'm glad it was handy! This forum has been one of the best resources on the net for anything related to cigars! I feel like one day - a book could be compiled from all the useful postings here. I'd sure buy it lol!
    JSaint:
    lol just read some of these and I have one to add. Do not swing a golf club with a lit gar in your mouth. I have a scar on my forearm still =p.
    I am thinking about doing another list or reorganizing this one and adding more to it. I will be sure to add this ;) lol
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Good one Stan, love the website, keep up the good work!
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree great list bro.
  • Great post good sir