Home General Discussion
Options

Whats you excuse?

Hopefully you don't have the same problem. My wife likes to harass me about my cigars so I usually make a good excuse to get out of the house for half hour/ hour. Just wondering what everyone else with this problem uses. In case she finally realizes why I enjoy taking the dog for long walks. Thanks Dempsey, you were the best purchase I've made in a long time!

Comments

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm not married but I have a live in gf and I'm like I'm goin outside to smoke a cigar. Only come get me if the house is on fire or you died....lol
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I'll have to try that one.... Part of me thinks alot of pain may follow though
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I don't have any excuses, but she has reasons. Two of them. One on each eye.

Of course I jest...my girlfriend is actually very supportive of my hobby and was very excited that I found something I was passionate about. She does get annoyed sometimes because I have one everyday and it takes away from "us" time. I'm trying to be better about it.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    sightunseen:
    I don't have any excuses, but she has reasons. Two of them. One on each eye.

Of course I jest...my girlfriend is actually very supportive of my hobby and was very excited that I found something I was passionate about. She does get annoyed sometimes because I have one everyday and it takes away from "us" time. I'm trying to be better about it.

I'm in the same boat man, my gf supprts my hobby but sometimes I feel like she secretly hates it.. I even feel guilty for saying I wanna go smoke a cigar if we're hanging out
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    My wife sort of supports my cigar thing, though she gets annoyed because I take 2 hours or so to smoke. She likes spending time with me so whenever it's cold or rainy outside I smoke inside in my computer room so she's out in the livingroom or something. During the summer I can go outside and smoke and she usually joins me.
  • Options
    My wife is "fairly" supportive. Its mostly the everyday cigar that does it. I'll take a few days from smoking if I sense its getting to her. It makes her happy but I loose my hour long vacation, that is much needed some days!
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    phobicsquirrel:
    My wife sort of supports my cigar thing, though she gets annoyed because I take 2 hours or so to smoke. She likes spending time with me so whenever it's cold or rainy outside I smoke inside in my computer room so she's out in the livingroom or something. During the summer I can go outside and smoke and she usually joins me.
    Both of my last two gf's would smoke with me. I didn't mind. The girl I'm seeing now has no problem with it, and sits outside with me while I smoke when she's here. Otherwise, it's a bachelor's life, so no worries!
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    sirfoster83:
    My wife is "fairly" supportive. Its mostly the everyday cigar that does it. I'll take a few days from smoking if I sense its getting to her. It makes her happy but I loose my hour long vacation, that is much needed some days!
    I've developed an inner alarm that warns me if it's a bad time to choose to go smoke a cigar. Now mind, this alarm was developed through numerous trials and errors.
  • Options
    I would say the times I KNOW she doesn't want me to go smoke ALWAYS seems to be those days were its what I've been waiting for all day
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Since the arrival of our new baby, it's been actually pretty awesome. We've got two dogs that are pretty obnoxious, so I can always say "I'm going to take the dogs out for a while" and she loves it. I'm also taking a few classes right now, so it's a good excuse to go to the shed and smoke and study. I do actually study, too, so it helps my grades and my sanity.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    My gf is pretty supportive as well. She actually got me a box of Diesel Unholy Cocktails for my bday a few weeks back. If it's warm she will usually join me for the first 30 min then after that I'm on my own.
  • Options
    Our little one just turned 1 so I feel a little guilty running out to smoke. Now hopefully it stays nice up here, they are saying chance of snow this week! Once the weathers better I think it will get a lot easier.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The other half tolerates it but does not like it. I threw down the gauntlet a long time ago and told her I was smoking cigars, she was welcome to join me on the porch, or not. her call.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    sightunseen:
    sirfoster83:
    I've developed an inner alarm that warns me if it's a bad time to choose to go smoke a cigar. Now mind, this alarm was developed through numerous trials and errors.
    +1 to both of you guys, lol...exactly
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife supports cigars 100%. If I start smoking everyday she gets a little concerned and says so. If I want to smoke outside the house no problem. Trying to get away to the B&M is another story. I travel for work so when I am home it is family time.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Well, I live by myself, so I never have to have an excuse, but fortunately my women tend to like the smell of cigar smoke. Now if only I could get them to smoke as well!
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    docbp87:
    Well, I live by myself, so I never have to have an excuse, but fortunately my women tend to like the smell of cigar smoke. Now if only I could get them to smoke as well!

women?? You are my hero...lol
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I keep a harem fuller than my humi. ;)
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    9 times out of ten when I have a cigar it goes like this:

Wife: I'm going outside to do x,y, or z, want to come out with me and have a cigar?
    Me: Ok.

I probably smoke more because of the wife.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont make excuses.

i say:
    "WOMAN! im gunna have a cigar!
    ...and there better be pie waiting for me when i get back in!"

then the next day i get up to go to work and someone keyed my car....

ok... only a tiny part of that story is true.

the
    kuzi16:
    i dont make excuses.

i say:
    "WOMAN! im gunna have a cigar!
    part

shes ok with it. she came to the last herf....
  • Options
    docbp87:
    You may be my new hero. The good thing is the wife likes the smell. Its we hide it from the kids so she hates when I do my vanishing act. My sister-in-law had a smoke with me the other night though. I was very surprised when she asked for one.
  • Options
    AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    First off, I don't smoke in my house, office or car. My wife wouldn't allow it and my #1 job is keeping her happy (b/c that's the only way I'll be happy, dig?). My daughter is a toddler and I try to spend as much time with her as possible so since I already have enough things pulling me from home, I don't want to bunk out for a smoke. In the evenings and on the weekends we like to do as much as possible as a family. On occasion when I needed a mental health break on a weekend I'll take a run to "Home Depot" which means I sit on the beach with a cup of coffee and enjoy a cigar (and that is usually in lieu of finding a deserted part of the beach, putting a gun in my mouth and pulling the trigger). But I tend to feel guilty and think I should be home with my wife and kid. So, what I try to do is find some time during the week when my daughter is in daycare and my wife is at work, to relax for an hour or so, enjoy a smoke and meditate on it, so-to-speak. If I'm out of the office for a meeting I'll swing by my local B&M on the way back, turn off my cell phone and go off the grid. I find this is a great and effective way for me to relieve stress. Honestly, smoking a cigar is a huge experience for me and it is one of the things that keeps my bloodpressure down, my wits about me, my life in perspective and allows me to recharge.
  • Options
    EXACTALLY!!! Pretty much the same situation here. I also tend to wait until everyones sound asleep, thats when I make my move and head out to the garage.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    lets see... i have a few! I have to go to work/ class early or stay late. I have to go get gas. I have to go work out... Those are my go tos
  • Options
    Where do you live that it takes a half hour min. to get gas? I do like the work out one. Would it look too weird seeing guy jogging smoking a cigar?
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife usually reminds me that I haven't had a cigar in a while and that I should go out and enjoy one. Not only does she support me and my hobby she makes it tough not to buy some when she points them out and says " Hey you don't have one of these" Sometimes life is tough..........................
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    sirfoster83:
    Where do you live that it takes a half hour min. to get gas? I do like the work out one. Would it look too weird seeing guy jogging smoking a cigar?
    Well it takes ten minutes to get to Sams club and then I get pizza and chill in the back of my truck in an abandoned parking lot And finish my stoagie. The working out one I will do the same and THEN work out.