Home Ratings & Reviews

Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Antano El Martillo

Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Antano El Martillo 5.5 X 54. Wrapper -Nicaraguan Corojo (Jalapa region), Binder - Nicaragua, Filler - Nicaragua. Full bodied. Initial lighting taste was woody with some leather. Into the first third of this cigar, spice picks up right away with leather, wood and notes of cinnamon. Towards the end of the first third, a sweetness begins to emerge as well. At the halfway point, the sweetness really picks up - a syrupy sweetness that coats the palate along with a strong flavor of spicey leather and cedar and the notes of cinnamon as well. Final third of the cigar reveals the same flavors as the halfway point with the sweet spicey leather dominating the profile. The cinnamon picks up to become a constant flavor. I did not taste the cedar anymore at this point. Long tasty finish of syrupy sweet leather filling the palate. Construction was good but the wrapper was very delicate. Burn and Draw were perfect - razor sharp burn with a light gray ash. A strong full-bodied complex cigar that had nice balance as well. I enjoyed this cigar very much. MSRP on this vitola is $7.75 which I believe this cigar is worthy of, and I recommend it for an experienced smoker who enjoys a full bodied, full flavored cigar.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Mmm, sounds yummy. I was looking around for these at some local shops and haven't found any yet. I'll keep looking.

And I know I saw this in everyone of your reviews, but line breaks are your friend! They are simple to use and make your posts sooo much easier to read. Go here to learn how to insert them. It is the first command it teaches you to use.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Sounds tasty!!!!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I picked this up twice today in my B&M, but put it back down in favor of the Antano. Maybe I should've picked it up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I love this cigar, each time I smoke one I break out in a stupid grin and slink down in my chair.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    This is a damn good cigar! I tried one actually before they came out, then I tried a couple more after they were released and every one I've had was fantastic.
  • Scott1966Scott1966 Posts: 40
    TatuajeVI:
    Mmm, sounds yummy. I was looking around for these at some local shops and haven't found any yet. I'll keep looking.

And I know I saw this in everyone of your reviews, but line breaks are your friend! They are simple to use and make your posts sooo much easier to read. Go here to learn how to insert them. It is the first command it teaches you to use.

I know I see this in many of YOUR posts - its evey one (space between the two words!) not everyone Spell Check is YOUR FRIEND. I belong to many more cigar board sites than you and how I post my reviews is NEVER a problem.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Scott1966:
    TatuajeVI:

I know I see this in many of YOUR posts - its evey one (space between the two words!) not everyone Spell Check is YOUR FRIEND. I belong to many more cigar board sites than you and how I post my reviews is NEVER a problem.
    I think Tat was just trying to be helpful. Unfortunately, the tech on this forum isn't as sophisticated as it should be so the line breaks help the posts to be more easily read.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Scott1966:
    its evey one ... not everyone Spell Check is YOUR FRIEND.
    Maybe spell check is your friend as well?? It's every, not evey. just sayin...

Tat was strictly trying to be helpful. This is the only forum I'm on where html coding is needed. The rest automatically insert line breaks when you enter. The review is good, but you'll find many more guys around here will actually read them if there are some breaks. It's hard to follow when it's all run together. Just trying to help.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    cholmes8310:
    Scott1966:

Tat was strictly trying to be helpful. This is the only forum I'm on where html coding is needed. The rest automatically insert line breaks when you enter. The review is good, but you'll find many more guys around here will actually read them if there are some breaks. It's hard to follow when it's all run together. Just trying to help.
    Yep, just trying to be helpful. Your reviews are great, I enjoy reading them, but it hurts my brain when it is all in one gigantic paragraph. Take two seconds to learn to insert html line breaks and everyone will be happy!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Man these sound good. Not having any luck finding them right now. I begged a few Antanos off the Beard and they are good, may have to practice that grin / sink into chair move before I do get one of these around (lol)!
    cholmes8310:
    Scott1966:

Cholmes he can speak for himself (and he did) so go back to lurking. Don't make me go back and have to look at EVERY post you made for a spelling error. Maybe you can post a review and add something to this board instead of butting in.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    No one is addressing the content of your review in any way whatsoever, merely that formatting it using appropriate HTML line breaks would make is easier for everyone involved to read.

No need to get your panties in a knot ;)
    mrpillow:
    No one is addressing the content of your review in any way whatsoever, merely that formatting it using appropriate HTML line breaks would make is easier for everyone involved to read.

No need to get your panties in a knot ;)
    There in a knot as much as the other two gentlemen. No more, no less. Thanks for your opinion. Now lets get back to the reason for my posting. I enjoyed this cigar and I would like to hear more feedback as to what other people think about this cigar. Particularly as compared to the JDN Antano regular line. I enjoyed this cigar more than the Reg. Antano line, I found it more complex.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just got done smoking my first one of these, found the thread and had to post.

After readign the rest of this thread (and LOL I have to admit - we are SUCH a bunch of old women on here sometimes!) I was surprised nobody mentioned something about this cigar...

The incredible RAW POWER of it.

I dont consider myself a lightweight by any stretch, but boy I tell ya - this cigar kicked my a$$ like like Apollo Creed! Most powereful thing BY FAR that Ive ever smoked, and that includes the LFD Double Ligero (which gave me a nice little buzz) and Cain's (which many claim to be power for power's sake but I disagree with that). Halfway thru the first third I was HIGH - not buzzed, HIGH!

As for the flavor profile, Scott1966's review was mostly spot-on. I didnt get the cinnamon, but I did get some nice hints of oak.

Had a few burn issues which needed to be corrected, but this cigar had an oily wrapper so Im guessing maybe dry-boxing it before lighting it up may take care of that - will post back here after the next one and let you know how that worked out.

Due to the power of this baby, Im also guessing some serious aging would mellow it out a bit and perhaps turn a good smoke into a great one - again, I'll let you know how that works out.

Alright fellas, anyone else get their butt handed to them from the power of this thing like I did? And before anyone asks, YES I had eaten recently before sparking it...

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The Sniper:
    Just got done smoking my first one of these, found the thread and had to post.

After readign the rest of this thread (and LOL I have to admit - we are SUCH a bunch of old women on here sometimes!) I was surprised nobody mentioned something about this cigar...

The incredible RAW POWER of it.

I dont consider myself a lightweight by any stretch, but boy I tell ya - this cigar kicked my a$$ like like Apollo Creed! Most powereful thing BY FAR that Ive ever smoked, and that includes the LFD Double Ligero (which gave me a nice little buzz) and Cain's (which many claim to be power for power's sake but I disagree with that). Halfway thru the first third I was HIGH - not buzzed, HIGH!

As for the flavor profile, Scott1966's review was mostly spot-on. I didnt get the cinnamon, but I did get some nice hints of oak.

Had a few burn issues which needed to be corrected, but this cigar had an oily wrapper so Im guessing maybe dry-boxing it before lighting it up may take care of that - will post back here after the next one and let you know how that worked out.

Due to the power of this baby, Im also guessing some serious aging would mellow it out a bit and perhaps turn a good smoke into a great one - again, I'll let you know how that works out.

Alright fellas, anyone else get their butt handed to them from the power of this thing like I did? And before anyone asks, YES I had eaten recently before sparking it...

75% ligero, very little combustable tobacco in this thing...
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    JAlright fellas, anyone else get their butt handed to them from the power of this thing like I did? And before anyone asks, YES I had eaten recently before sparking it...

Nancy....

I JOKE! I haven't even had one yet, have one resting in my humi. Hope this doesn't come back to bite me late on....lol
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I really need to get my hands on some of these and try it out, Sounds like something I will enjoy!
    ENFIDL:
    Nancy....
    LMAOOOOOOO!!!! Nicely played brother, nicely played... BUT if you question my manhood again I swear to GAWD I will hit you with my purse! :-D

Fire up that one you've got resting and post up here what you think about it.

Diamondog:
    75% ligero, very little combustable tobacco in this thing...
    Well, that would explain the butt-whoopin I took. LOL Still, with that much ligero in it I have to say it was a REALLY smooth draw.

Boys, I **** you not - next time you're in the mood for a "punch in the teeth" type smoke, reach for one of these. I dont think you'll be disappointed!

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome to the club Glen. I've had the Dark Corojo sit me right down more than a few times and I keep coming back for more. Is that a sign of masochism? Wink [;)]
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Just got a box of these in (wrong vitola grrr) have to get that sorted out with ccom...
    j0z3r:
    Welcome to the club Glen. I've had the Dark Corojo sit me right down more than a few times and I keep coming back for more. Is that a sign of masochism? Wink [;)]
    Or hard-headed-ism, one of the two. LOL I just cant get over the power of that thing - I seriously havent had ANYTHING hit me like that since I quit drinking alcohol.

To tell the truth Joe, the idea of you sitting up against a wall with your eyeballs going round and round and round a Dark Corojo nub in your hand makes me chuckle... :-D

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    no... just the sign of a good cigar.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:
    Nancy....
    LMAOOOOOOO!!!! Nicely played brother, nicely played... BUT if you question my manhood again I swear to GAWD I will hit you with my purse! :-D

Fire up that one you've got resting and post up here what you think about it.

Noted! lol I'll have to sit down and smoke it this weekend!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I will also revive this old thread - just had my first one.
    It has been resting in my humi (Kuzi will appreciate this I'm sure) a whole 9 days - ha!
    Couldn't wait - had to try one - and it is truly a powerhouse - but as smooth as the underside of a well endowed woman's boobie - buttery smooth - with a nice kick....a strong kick.

When I first took it out, it felt a bit "moist" and I was worried about burn issues...but it wasn't "moist"...just oily.
    Wonderful prelite aroma, toasted it and then did a double 90 degree v-cut, and the draw was feather lite, producing tons of rich flavorful smoke.
    Needed only one minor touch-up, and burned perfect to the nub.
    I scored 10 of these at sprintsale at a great price - gonna be looking to score more!

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Glad you revived this thread! This is my go to cigar right now... breakfast, lunch, dinner. I am in love with JdN DC!!!