Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Movie Reboots

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
This is the current trend in Hollywood, because they have run out of original ideas and they got tired of turning books into movies. The bright side is that there are some movies I wouldn't mind being rebooted since the first attempts were so botched. These are movies that I thought had a lot of potential to be at least decent and worth a matinee.

Eragon
Superman Returns
Congo
Troy
Star Wars I, II, III (especially II)

Any other movies that fit the bill?

Comments

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    call it an odd question why reboot the best Star Wars series ever? Some movies are better in their original form
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    call it an odd question why reboot the best Star Wars series ever? Some movies are better in their original form
    To clarify, the "original" Star Wars are episodes IV, V, and VI and I absolutely love them The one's I'm referring to are the prequels (with George Lucas' terrible attempt at writing romance and of course, Jar Jar Binks).
  • Options
    lol nvm I totally misread what you intended I think of 4 5 6 as 1 2 3
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Punisher (the 2000's version).... Marvel does much better when they make their own movies.

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Congo would be a nice remake... what about The Neverending story? (but somehow I think this is already happening)... how about some 80's remakes... Karate Kid, Red Dawn.... oh wait....
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I'd love to see Starship Troopers made faithfully to the book, not just using the title and some of the character names.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I'd love to see Starship Troopers made faithfully to the book, not just using the title and some of the character names.
    Yes, please!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm excited yet hesitant about the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I haven't had a chance to go see it yet but I'm a huge Freddy fan and hope that they didn't ruin the series. They changed the names of the characters, except Freddy obviously. Plus Robert Englund not being Freddy is what makes me hesitant about it.
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    I'm excited yet hesitant about the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I haven't had a chance to go see it yet but I'm a huge Freddy fan and hope that they didn't ruin the series. They changed the names of the characters, except Freddy obviously. Plus Robert Englund not being Freddy is what makes me hesitant about it.
    +1 no Robert Englund makes me ifffy
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    actually I tend to think along side other fans of star wars in that yes the prequels were flawed, however if you really watch A new hope you'll see that it's not as masterful as some would point out. Also ROTJ is also very flawed, more so than A new hope, though I love the Luke/Vader scenes. I however feel it is that GL doesn't know how to make a move. Plain and simple. ESB is sort of given the best of the 6 and GL didn't direct it, and even ROTS had help from Steven SPielburg. I had my problems with Phantom for sure, however that time period was very much different and I do think that they did a good job on pinning how well the senate works, even in the galactic senate and how war can be used to gain power. i think if it wasn't for JarJar and the long time spent on Tatooine it would have really helped the film. AOTC for the most part I felt was done rather well, and captured how lame teen love is, which is what GL was going for and I think he nailed it. i dunno, I'm a huge SW fan and have been as long as I can remember so for me take parts out of PM and I'm pretty much sold. Then again I liked the added stuff in the SE of the OT, well minus Haiden's face behind vader's mask... lol.

But in general I think reboots are a bad idea. I have yet to see many that are any good and those that I do like more are short and few. I can think of the HIlls Have Eyes as one of them.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Squirrels arn't allowed in our, or the Galaxy's senate. gtfo!
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    ENFIDL:
    I kind of like the guy they chose though - Rorschach from Watchmen ;)... He fits the bill nicely...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:
    Squirrels arn't allowed in our, or the Galaxy's senate. gtfo!
    Ah, don't make me gnaw you down to a pile of ash!!!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    robbyras:
    Congo would be a nice remake... what about The Neverending story? (but somehow I think this is already happening)... how about some 80's remakes... Karate Kid, Red Dawn.... oh wait....

While it would be nice to see a more faithful adaptation of Congo, that keeps with the tone of the novel better... it's still one of Michael Crichton's weaker efforts, and would inevitably be just as campy as the original film.

I am 100% opposed to remakes 99% of the time ;)

Some of the best films in a few genres have been remakes (most notably The Fly (1986, Cronenberg) and The Thing (1982, Carpenter)) but recently the remake craze seems only to exist to show off CGI, and make money off of audiences who are unaware of the original. Clash of the Titans comes to mind. As a kid I LOVED the Harryhausen film. I appreciated the nod to the mechanical owl in the remake, but otherwise is was horrendous. No one that I went to see the remake with knew what the Owl was, and half of them didn't even realize it was a remake. I think this is a shame. On one hand, yes, a filmgoer should be able to walk into a theatre and enjoy a movie without knowing the history behind its production, and all of the intertextual statements being made, but at the same time, there is a lack of quality and depth of production and artistry in American cinema today. Everything is a cut and paste hack and slash in and out production.

I don't see a lot of films in theatres these days, simply because so much of what Hollywood is doing is crap, and I prefer to weed through the drivel once DVDs are available, and save my money (for cigars).
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hayblet:
    ENFIDL:
    I kind of like the guy they chose though - Rorschach from Watchmen ;)... He fits the bill nicely...
    Jackie Earle Haley!!!! Moocher from Breaking Away!!! One of my all-time favorites!!!!

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    lilwing88:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hayblet:
    ENFIDL:
    Jackie Earle Haley!!!! Moocher from Breaking Away!!! One of my all-time favorites!!!!

He was out of the biz for as long time battling addiction and caught a break for a comback. He also has horrible acne scars that done really help actors out much.