Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My Boat Restoration

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Ever since I was the youngest kid, I've wanted to sail. I daydreamed about fighting the winds, touching down on shores, carousing the bars and chasing the women ;-).... Over the past couple months I've been learning to sail, and today I finally got my hands on a boat of my own! Officially, it is a 1965 Cal 25' sloop, in desperate need of cosmetic attention. There's some major history with this boat, however - it is fully rigged and ready for racing, and a previous owner won two major national racing championships in this boat. The last owner hasn't sailed it in over 2-3 years, and just didn't want to deal with it anymore... So I got it for free! All I paid was $250 for the slip fee (it's currently berthed in Berkeley, CA) through the end of May, until I can find another (cheaper) slip. Needless to say, I'm fully stoked. Pictures below in varying quality:

My Blue Mistress
'Tis a pensive event
This night
As I turn the dark bent
To fight
A draw to cast away
To turn
Aside my love today
I yearn
For lofty shores afar
To find
Myself where'er they are
To bind
That melody so sweet
I know
To pulse that roaring beat
And go
Into my lover's brest
I must
Descend into the crest
I ****
To sail the sultry swell
To rail
Against the fiery spell
Avail
Myself of thundr'ous sky
And seek
Out sandy slopes to lie
I speak
My soul in such distress
Of you
My lovely blue mistress
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Ok that's it!!! I'm coming over there!! That's ducking awesome man!!!!! Sooo happy for you and I know you will smoke some great cigars on that beauty!
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    Ok that's it!!! I'm coming over there!! That's ducking awesome man!!!!! Sooo happy for you and I know you will smoke some great cigars on that beauty!
    Thanks, and most certainly...it will have an onboard humi for sure. I'll just have to pack it full of beads to account for the outside humidity. You are more than welcome Alex - come on out!

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see some restoration work and your on board humi when you get things done.
  • Options
    She needs some work, but Free is not such a bad price :) Send me a PM with your stuff and you might just have a humi for that boat (decided to make my own). Grats!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Can anyone say Boat Herf? Because I can say Man o War overboard. Smile [:)]
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    That is seriously awesome, man. That looks like some serious fun in store for you!!! /jealousy

And for only 250$? ....Man....
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Holy crap man. I have been sailing a few times in my life, and few things are as much fun, and provide the opportunity for as much relaxation as a boat. Congratulations Hays. Smoke something good as your first stick on that beauty!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Congrats, Hays! Put a little sweat into her and she'll truly be yours. (Yes, I'm talking about the boat.)

How's the other boat thing coming along, btw?
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Congrats man and enjoy!!! That really does look like a dream come true!
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Congrats!!! Looks like dreams really can come true!

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! You do have little cosmetic work to do, but when it's on your own boat, it will be fun. Too bad you're on the wrong coast, a boat herf sounds like fun! Enjoy!
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Big congrats to you Hays! You've got lots of good sailing ahead of you, and the elbow grease between here and there will just make it that much more rewarding.

I can't say how nice it is to see good things happen to good people.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had a boat exactly like that in Lake Michigan. Good times had on that boat. If you thought THIS hobby was an obsession, you ain't seen nuthin yet.....

Congrats bro. Yur livin the dream.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    This is funking awesome man!!! Damn... I am thinking about taking some vacation this summer - can I come sail on it ;)? I'll bring a 20count humi...
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    AHOY!!
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! It's so cool when lifelong dreams come true-doesn't happen that often. Enjoy!
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

Congrats buddy! I am totally jealous of your boat, but not the work that you have in front of you!

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Now your girlfriend can't tell you to quit playing with your dingey.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the well-wishes...I know she isn't that purty right now, but the pictures also just don't give the best impression - she's slightly prettier in person (lol), and a good scrubdown alone will do wonders for her. Don't know if I mentioned it, but right now her name is Cinnabar...I have another name that I knew I wanted for my boat, but I haven't decided yet if I'll rename her. Even if I do, it won't be till she's fully restored. And let it be known - once she's all dolled up and ready to sail, I'd be more than happy to take any one of ya out on her. She'll sleep 4, though it'd be a bit crowded.

• Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Awesome. Grats bro. Post some updated pics as you get her cleaned up.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    congrats! I think it would be cool to see how you fix her up as well. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays I think your boat looks good already. Yeah she needs some work and TLC but I would love to have her as is.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey bro, many congrats!!! You must be on cloud NINE
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Hays:
    Thanks guys for all the well-wishes...I know she isn't that purty right now, but the pictures also just don't give the best impression - she's slightly prettier in person (lol), and a good scrubdown alone will do wonders for her. Don't know if I mentioned it, but right now her name is Cinnabar...I have another name that I knew I wanted for my boat, but I haven't decided yet if I'll rename her. Even if I do, it won't be till she's fully restored. And let it be known - once she's all dolled up and ready to sail, I'd be more than happy to take any one of ya out on her. She'll sleep 4, though it'd be a bit crowded.
    We can sleep on top of each other! As long as we keep our sticks away from each other...
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Congrats, Hays. Happy to know that you were able to make your dream a reality. Next is to have Ccom sponsor you in races.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Hays! How relaxing is it going to be takin her out and havin a nice stogie away from land, and nothing but the ocean around!

enjoy!!!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That's awesome brother! Congrats! Seriously awesome!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    What a find! The next pic we expect to see is your mug with that boat and a big fat stick burning. I know you will start a thread so we can enjoy the renovation with you.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Congrats bro thats awsome !!!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wow, that's frickin awesome. $250? Did you threaten to kill him? ;)

Can't wait to see what you can do with her. Congrats on the new toy!