Home Ratings & Reviews

Perdomo Lot 23

Here I am, sitting in my local B&M at 1:00pm all by myself aside from the newly hired young lady working behind the bar (whom seems to know absolutely nothing about cigars but bless her heart she has tried really hard to hold conversations with me about them). I brought with me a Perdomo 23 which I just received on Saturday from a DD last week. The price seemed right (a little over 2 per stick) so I picked them up in order to get some free shipping for some other things I wanted to pick up...

The cigar had great, consistent construction. Not one hard or soft spot throughout. It burned perfectly even the entire way and didn't seem to ever burn too hot or risk going out (except maybe from the long periods between draws occasionally).

The pre-light draw was uneventful. Just slightly tight but nothing worth complaining about. The taste was just a very light tobacco taste.

In my limited opinion, I would call this a stereotypical mild. Reminded me a lot of a 5 Vegas Gold.
Of course, that's not to say it was a bad cigar in any respect. The construction was consistent, the flavor was consistent, and the flavor was a soft and smooth tobacco taste. When I tried blowing it out of my nose (my first cigar to ever try this with - thanks to the thread "Using your nose..." lol) it gave a very slight spicy taste which was altogether very different from the taste I was used to from this cigar. I'm very new to the whole using your nose smoking concept so I can't really rate this cigar from that angle but it was a taste I would like to try again.

My basic conclusion of this cigar is that it is definitely worth its cost, but I doubt it will ever be something I would jones after or jump on if I saw the deal come around again. (Unless I was out
Of course, this is coming from a guy who's "go to mild" is a 5 Vegas Gold, so take my review with a grain of salt because I'm sure a lot of people could disagree with me :-D

Post Script - I realize it is almost 7 PST, but I actually wrote this out on my phone while I was at the B&M and just didn't post it until now :-P

Comments

• coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    I had my first Perdomo Lot 23 on Saturday night. It was a Torpedo and I liked it a lot! I like Mild sticks though and love the 5 Vegas Gold so I guess makes sense that I liked it.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've smoked one Lot 23 Robusto and while I liked the flavors, the cigar literally smoked in less than 20 minutes. I sparked one up on the golf course at the first tee and by the second tee it was done. Guess I need to try another one soon.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    I'm gonna have to give this one another shot too. Had one and liked the beginning and end, but the middle was just eh for me.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I thought the Lot 23 in the bigger sizes was a decent smoke.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I had a Lot 23 Robusto last week and loved it. Really nice flavors and a perfect burn.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've tried a couple and they didn't do it for me. Not bad, but not good either. Pretty forgettable. There's a few different wrappers though I think, so I should probably try all of them before I write this one off.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    coachjamie:
    I like Mild sticks though and love the 5 Vegas Gold so I guess makes sense that I liked it.
    I like full cigars and still love the 5 vegas gold! It is so tasty I don't care about the body.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    clearlysuspect:
    I've smoked one Lot 23 Robusto and while I liked the flavors, the cigar literally smoked in less than 20 minutes. I sparked one up on the golf course at the first tee and by the second tee it was done. Guess I need to try another one soon.
    The one I had was a toro and lasted well over and hour and a half - but I've come to believe that I may smoke pretty slow - so I can't promise you the toro would last you as long as it did me, but it'll DEFINITELY last a bit longer than a robusto :-P

Also I agree with it being sort of a forgettable cigar. But in my opinion this thing sure wasn't bad - and there is a F**K ton more 'gars out there that are waaaaay worse than this puppy. So that's worth something!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I feel ya on the the nose thing brother. I just recently started doing this. I'd say about a month ago. So probably 6 sticks or so since I've started. It def changes things alot...lol I figured it would some but was really amazed by how much difference it made.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scored a Perdomo Lot 23 at the new B&M which I recently stumbled onto. I just liked the real earthy look of the cigar, despite the over sized band. Kindled it last night. Smoked just about the way it looks: hearty, earthy, good meat and potatoes cigar.
    Looks like my fave 30 year old Vanson motorcycle jacket, dunnit?

This cigar out puros a puro. All the tobacco in or on it comes from a single plot of land. Aged a year then baled five years before rolling. The wrapper was oily, with an odd feel, tending to stick to my lips. Wrapper had no odor; but tasted real hearty earthy tobacco flavor. Uncapped easily, drew very freely, lit quickly with one match, and boom, out burst thick white clouds of smoke. Again, hearty meaty earthy tobacco flavors. A fine aroma. A mild finish despite how flavorful it was. What's odd is how fast it burnt. Not evenly, but no canoe, no tunnel; just a wavy pattern on the end. We have had rain for several days. It was dribbling outside as I stood in the garage burning this. I just scored it a couple days ago. It came from the Persian Pocket -- not as wet as Otter's Pocket, but still a damp walk in. Nevertheless, it still burnt freely. This would be ab excellent cigar for a rainy day when other sticks might studge up and die. As it was, I never had a worry whether it would go out. In fact, I barely got a scant hour out of it, even puffing patiently down to the nub. And it never turned sour. So this might be a solution to my Dull-Aware rainy day conundrum. The ash was loose, and fell off short again and again. Despite this quick burn and unstable ash, it didn't feel dry or light. I'm not sure why it wants to burn so readily.

It left me with an entrancing stink finger which lasted through this morning, and a hearty morning mouth that's going right well with my coffee now. However, I also woke up with a squeaking wheeze from it.

Three and a half stars. I'll be back and score another one today.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Burning the nub of a Lot 23 again tonight. The secret to succulence with this stick appears to be simple: Go as slow as you can. The slower you go, the better it tastes. That's hard to do. It tastes so good you want to hit it again. But to get the best out of it, you have to let it sit between puffs.

I'm in the garage. It's raining outside again. Once again, it burns perfectly in the dampest conditions. I'm going to drop by the Persian Pocket and pick up all they have. It's the solution to a rainy day smoke.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Okay, that's it... I gotta up the star rating on this stick. The more of them I smoke the more I like them. Rich leather, hint of cedar, wholesome tobacco... and best of all, they burn like crazy even standing the the garage with Sandy's howling torrential rain AND THE DOORS OPEN! Never have to worry that they'll turn studgy sour and plug up i8n the damp. Of course, the flip side of that is they burn quick. One hour max. But that's the whole idea, is flammability.

Four and a half stars.

Look, if any of you BOTLs live in a wet place and have a similar problem with your cigars crapping out in the damp, shoot me a PM and I'll send the first guy a couple to try. Well worth the experiment. Wish I could send to all, but I am having trouble trying to locate more. Everyone seems sold out. I bought the last box from Persian Pocket, and it only had sixteen left. Back ordered there and elsewhere. If I can get more, I'll shoot out more.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Okay, that's it... I gotta up the star rating on this stick. The more of them I smoke the more I like them. Rich leather, hint of cedar, wholesome tobacco... and best of all, they burn like crazy even standing the the garage with Sandy's howling torrential rain AND THE DOORS OPEN! Never have to worry that they'll turn studgy sour and plug up i8n the damp. Of course, the flip side of that is they burn quick. One hour max. But that's the whole idea, is flammability.

Four and a half stars.

Look, if any of you BOTLs live in a wet place and have a similar problem with your cigars crapping out in the damp, shoot me a PM and I'll send the first guy a couple to try. Well worth the experiment. Wish I could send to all, but I am having trouble trying to locate more. Everyone seems sold out. I bought the last box from Persian Pocket, and it only had sixteen left. Back ordered there and elsewhere. If I can get more, I'll shoot out more.

you have a pm
    The Persian Pocket got more of these in. If you want to try a couple to cure rainy day plugged smokes shoot me a PM.

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I love them, I used to grab one every time after I had bad smoke. You can't go wrong with them, just a good all around cigar :).
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree. This is a solid stick. One of those under-rated cigars that most people forget is there.
    It has a good reasonable price.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    The maduro version is good as well
    The Kid:
    The maduro version is good as well
    Holy Cripes you got that right!

The last thing I am is a maduro fan. But BOTL igmembo shot me a Lot 23 maddy the other day when he loaned me a book. Burnt it last night. My word. The wrapper is both salty and sweet. The burn is razor sharp. The ash is snow white, though it falls off darn short. The wrapper complements the leathery filler perfectly. I think it's that touch of salt does the trick. Great to roll in your mouth while smoking.

I would buy a box EXCEPT for the fact that TOWMBO reports this stick delivers the worst morning mouth ever. I myself am quite content with the mm. Looking forward to mixing this with my morning espresso latte right now, in fact. But The One Who Must Be Obeyed must be obeyed. Maybe I'll buy some just to take camping, when she's not around.

Dynamite stick.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the approach they did with this stick!! The concept is really awesome but the exicution...well IMO it's a solid stick. It's pretty much a tad above average for me. I really wanted to like it a lot more and guess I will have to revisit it. I'm not a huge perdomo fan but do appreciate one here and there. Thanks for the review!! Next time I'm in my b&m ill have to grab one!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Had my first one a few weeks ago (maduro). Definitely a solid stick, I enjoyed it very much. Didn't exactly knock my socks off but I'd definitely smoke it again.