Home General Discussion

Every time the son shows up, I am 4 sticks lighter

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
How many have this problem? LOL. The oldest has started indulging in some milder smokes and every time he comes over I end up 4 sticks shorter. Of course, I don't really mind, he is a good kid (30 yo) and I like talking sticks with him and educating him a little more. How many of you have a similar situation?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I don't have kids, but I can imagine you will draw your line in the sand the day your kid touches your MOWs.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    sightunseen:
    I don't have kids, but I can imagine you will draw your line in the sand the day your kid touches your MOWs.
    I love this kid, he gave me a MOW tin sampler for my B-day. Automatic fav son status! LOL
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    sightunseen:
    I love this kid, he gave me a MOW tin sampler for my B-day. Automatic fav son status! LOL
    I guess his place on the will is safe.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our son is the one who got ME started with cigars. We had both quit cigarettes a long while back and he offered me a cigar one day while we were on his boat fishing for stripers. That was about three years ago and we both really enjoy sharing a smoke, talking stogies, and comparing notes on this cigar or that one.

It's great and I really enjoy the camaraderie cigars have helped establish. He even has his own shelf in my coolidor in case he forgets to bring one when he comes over.

Marty

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    fla-gypsy:
    every time he comes over I end up 4 sticks shorter.
    beat the brat! beat the brat! Beat the brat with a baseball bat!

luckily, i dont have anyone who mooches off me like that. I give my brother stuff when we smoke just because he only does it on occassion. I am starting to get him into it a lot though! He is contemplating buying a humi after the sampler i just had tim send him.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I mooch off my Dad when I go to visit, but I also typically bring some new sticks that I think he'll like :)

I gotta say, the best cigars I've ever smoked in my life have been ones with just me and my Dad sitting near a grill with a few beers, just talking about whatever
    Talking leaf with the boy is certainly enjoyable!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Do you wear the hat when you herf with your son?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    My son's too young for cigars, but when I have one with my Dad I have to bring my own since he's got such a limited palate. For years the only thing he'd smoke was the sancho panza primeroso. I finally got him to branch out a little into CAO golds. He's picky as hell, and has no clue what, or why he likes what he likes. Mild connecticuts seem to be working though....But I guess that's not what you asked, sorry for rambling.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the one supplying my pop with the cigars. I would much rather see him smoking a cigar with me than the NASTY cigarette's he normally does. I cannot think of a better time that I have with my pops than being able to shoot the "stuff" over a couple of good stogies and getting an "education": my pops is 72 and I am so focused on spending as much quality time as I can with him. Thanks to Cigar.com I can buy some nice mild to medium sticks or coffee flavors at a great price and keep them stocked just for him.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My dad unfortunately does not get it. My older brother and I smoke together whenever we see each other (he has great taste in cigars as well) and we used to offer one to my dad. Sadly the only thing accomplished is a bunch of complaining the next 24 hours about how his mouth tastes terrible. I really wish I could get him into it, I think it would help get us to talk more openly.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I smoke with my mom's boyfriend the few times I've seen him. She likes him, they're happy, so I make an effort. I gave him a Diesel and a Ruination when I was home at Christmas and he really enjoyed them. Most of my smoking experiences are with buddies though, and I always provide. I just ordered a 5'er of the RP 1990 on the DD a few days ago strictly to take home to one of them for Memorial Day. Gotta get all these people of cigarettes and into cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats funny...
    every time my DAD comes over im 4 sticks lighter.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    thats funny...
    every time my DAD comes over im 4 sticks lighter.
    +1..... every time I see either of my Father-in-laws (wife's parents are divorced), I'm a few sticks lighter. They don't mooch, I offer. I'm generous with my sticks. What's mine is theirs.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    Hayblet:
    Do you wear the hat when you herf with your son?
    I wear the hat off and on, I have another that I wear more often.
    TatuajeVI:
    My dad unfortunately does not get it. My older brother and I smoke together whenever we see each other (he has great taste in cigars as well) and we used to offer one to my dad. Sadly the only thing accomplished is a bunch of complaining the next 24 hours about how his mouth tastes terrible. I really wish I could get him into it, I think it would help get us to talk more openly.
    I indulge with my bro too, we get together a few times a year trade sticks and burn premiums
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Posts: 46 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    I mooch off my Dad when I go to visit, but I also typically bring some new sticks that I think he'll like :)

I gotta say, the best cigars I've ever smoked in my life have been ones with just me and my Dad sitting near a grill with a few beers, just talking about whatever
    I would say we all let it go at that.
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son was also the one who got me into man made cigars. We went to Cigar Fest together and had a blast. Now that he has a supply of his onw smokes and humidor, my humidors stay a little better stocked!

We do talk a lot about cigars and he is in the food business and has a great palet. He is much better at picking out flavors than I am.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Considering my boy is 2 and I have another still cooking, I don't have that problem...yet :)

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Considering my boy is 2 and I have another still cooking, I don't have that problem...yet :)
    "Yet" being the key word