Home General Discussion

Best cigar/alcohol pairing I've had in quite a long time...

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
WELLLLL.....

I'm pretty well buzzed from a full bottle of Menage a Trois 2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and I had a Camacho Corojo Torpedo and it was an AWESOME pairing. Gotta say...

Anyone else have a fantastic wine/cigar pairing?

P.S. I had some MAJOR trouble typing this...

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    LOL.... you the man Jay! We get great wine from the western slope here in Colorado. The Carlson vinyard has some of he best wine I have ever had. I love wine with a stick, have no realy tired to get a "pairing" as of yet.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I really love earthy cigars with a Cabernet or Merlot. MoW Ruination, CAO Brazilia, Camacho Corojo Ltd, DPG Cuban Classic are a few real earthy cigars that I'd pair with a nice dry red. Some of my favorite reds(all from California): Franciscan Merlot, Copola (diamond series) Cab, Cinnabar Merlot, and many more. I love wine!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I'd say that anything that you put together is a "pairing", whether or not it's a GOOD "pairing" is subjective.

I'm going to bed. I'm volunteering at Hbitat forHumanity at 7:45. Good luckguysd.

Hooray for wine! I'm the happiest wine-drunk in the world FYI

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I love wine but have never tried pairing wine with stogies. I pretty much drink scotch, rum, or bourbon with cigars. Anyone recommend any major brands, available nation wide?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I find that a CAO Italia goes really well with red wine. I've only had it with a Malbec, but I think next time I'll try it with a Chianti.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    docbp87:
    I love wine but have never tried pairing wine with stogies. I pretty much drink scotch, rum, or bourbon with cigars. Anyone recommend any major brands, available nation wide?
    My favorite rum to drink with cigars is Flor de Cano. It's available nationwide, just gotta look for it. It's not cheap either. As far as bourbon, I like Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark. Both go really well with stogies.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    lilwing88:
    docbp87:
    My favorite rum to drink with cigars is Flor de Cano. It's available nationwide, just gotta look for it. It's not cheap either. As far as bourbon, I like Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark. Both go really well with stogies.
    Ah, I meant wines. Thanks though.
    docbp87:
    lilwing88:
    docbp87:

Ravenswood is a great reasonably priced red wine and it's all over the place. The Menage I had last night is available nationwide, and if you can find it, Provenance is an awesome red, but it is a bit more expensive. Maybe about $30-45 depending on vintage? I had a bottle of 2004 Provenance Cabernet last year and it was delicious. The key I think is in the vintage: 2004-vintage red wines from the Napa Valley region of CA are some of the best red wines since 2000.

docbp87:
    lilwing88:
    docbp87:
    Sorry. In that case, I second the Ravenswood. Zinfandel is my favorite. I also like Coppola wines, but they're on the pricey side.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I pretty much gave up everything except water. If I leave my mouth and lips a little wet after a drink of water I find the flavors to really pop from my cigar. Had a horrible pairing last night wich I expected. A 601 Red and a Sierra Nevada porter. Was really in the mood for a gar and a beer though.

I remember an Oliva V and Old Rasputin imperial stout being pretty good. Ive also enjoyed some ipa's with a smoke. Nothing beats water though.
  • brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73
    Ok, I'm sure you all don't want to hear this... I drink highlife with about 90% of sticks I smoke. I don't know what it is, but it works for me. I enjoy the taste of the cigar and the beer doesn't really interfere that much. Double buzz.
    brainfrz:
    Ok, I'm sure you all don't want to hear this... I drink highlife with about 90% of sticks I smoke. I don't know what it is, but it works for me. I enjoy the taste of the cigar and the beer doesn't really interfere that much. Double buzz.
    It's the champagne of beers!

God I hate that stuff, lol. To each his own!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Blah Jay! You didn't say it was 'Menage et Trois' that you were drinking...I used to like that stuff, but it has totally gone south for me.

Tat - where did you get that Cinnabar Merlot? And where can I get some? That's the name of my boat!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Here you go, my man: Cinnabar winery in Saratoga, CA. I've had a couple different years, and as I think someone stated before, the 2004 year is the best - a real vintage year for many wineries in California.
    Hays:
    Blah Jay! You didn't say it was 'Menage et Trois' that you were drinking...I used to like that stuff, but it has totally gone south for me.

Tat - where did you get that Cinnabar Merlot? And where can I get some? That's the name of my boat!

I liked it pretty well Hays, it wasn't too dry and the tannins had settled down. Of course, with as much selection as you have access to, I probably would have gone with something different too.

F**k me if that Provenance wasn't good though, I LOVED that stuff.

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I know the appeal Jay..like I said, I've downed many a bottle of it. My tastes have just taken me in a different direction. BevMo is your friend!

Tat - thanks brotha! I'm gonna pick some up!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨