Home General Discussion

Cigar of the Month Questions

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Ok, so I'm getting rather tempted to give this a whirl, but I have a few questions for anyone currently in it:

1) Can you give me a few names of cigars you've gotten in the past few months? I'm hoping the COTM mixes cigars of different strengths, but I know most herfers on these boards prefer full, yet I generally like mild or mediums, so I wanna be sure that I'll get a decent sampler

2) The subscription model - is it month-to-month, or can I designate it to run for a certain number of months (say 6mo), pay in full, and then just forget about it?

3) Is renewal automatic or not? One of the things I hate is subscribing to something, and then being billed automatically because I forgot to cancel it.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    xmacro:
    Ok, so I'm getting rather tempted to give this a whirl, but I have a few questions for anyone currently in it:

1) Can you give me a few names of cigars you've gotten in the past few months? I'm hoping the COTM mixes cigars of different strengths, but I know most herfers on these boards prefer full, yet I generally like mild or mediums, so I wanna be sure that I'll get a decent sampler

2) The subscription model - is it month-to-month, or can I designate it to run for a certain number of months (say 6mo), pay in full, and then just forget about it?

3) Is renewal automatic or not? One of the things I hate is subscribing to something, and then being billed automatically because I forgot to cancel it.

Thanks for the help

1) When I was in it, they first sent me a bunch of super premiums. The next month was fullbodied Dominicans, and the next was best of 2009. I was only in it for 3 months.

2/3) You pay for X amount of months upfront, then it will cancel unless you renew it.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've had ccom's cotm for 1 year. I tried to answer to the best of my recollection. I concentrated on the first question since that's the speculative one, and the others can be answered by the rep when/if you sign up.

xmacro:

Well, this month it was specifically a full bodied theme, so that one might not have pleased you. Here's a list just off the top of my head:

Padilla '32 Robusto
    GAR
    La Flor Dominicana Ligero
    5 vegas AAA
    DPG JJ Maduro
    Graycliff Professionale
    Joya de Nic Fuerte Corona Gorda
    La Gloria Cubana sumatra wavell
    CAO Brazilla
    Cuba Libre
    Perdomo lot 23
    Perdomo Patriarch
    Perdomo Habano - maduro and corojo
    Perdomo 10th champagne
    5 vegas relic
    La Aurora 1495 Robusto
    La Aurora Maduro
    Fonseca habana selecion
    RP Puro Cubano
    Decade
    Padilla Miami
    AB Tempus Terra Novo
    Oliva MB 3 Torpedo
    DPG Cuban Classic

Now that was most of the sticks back until January I think. Prior to that it was lots of Rocky Patel and AJ Fernandez with the occasional other brand. CAO, Padilla, Oliva. I've yet to see a single stick from Fuente or Camacho. Hint, hint. But I've rarely seen crap. 1 or 2 months I didn't care for, but they were still good, trade-able sticks mostly. As you can see you're going to get a lot of medium full, and full bodied sticks. When I first got it I only smoked medium and mild sticks and was a bit intimidated by stronger sticks. That changed over time, but before it did I would just let the really full stuff rest for a good 6 months before trying it. It's all about trying new sticks. And the discount.

xmacro:
    I think you can designate how many months you want, and pay as you go, or up front. I pay as I go and it runs for a year, but I think you can set it to go however you want. The people on the phone at ccom can answer this better.

xmacro:
    3)Is renewal automatic or not? One of the things I hate is subscribing to something, and then being billed automatically because I forgot to cancel it.
    See question two.

Hope that helps.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Much appreciated guys :) I'm thinking I may give it a few months to see what I get and go from there
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I joined on the month to month since the 'set period' option offered no additional discount other than the free humi with a 12 month subscription. The 10% discount is nice, especially when combined with 2 of the deal of the day for free shipping, problem is am spending too much and filling my humi too quick, faster than I can smoke em, I've been in the COTM for two months now this is what I have received. April Ernesto Padilla Miami Salomon Habano 7 1/4 57 $18.99 April Graycliff 1666 Presidente Maduro 7 48 $10.00 April Gurkha Legend Robusto Maduro 6 50 $14.40 April Gurkha Centurion Perfecto Connecticut 6 60 $14.99 April Tabacalera Fernandez Man O' War Special Edition Figurado Maduro 7 58 $8.00 May La Flor Dominicana Ligero Ligero L-250 Sumatra 4 5/7 48 $5.12 May 5 Vegas Triple A Maduro 5 56 $5.00 May Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Selectos Maduro 5 50 $7.58 May George A. Rico G.A.R. Robusto Habano 5 50 $6.00 May Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto Habano 5 50 $10.80 Note: each stick costs $6.78 ($29.95 + $3.95 S&H / 5) The price I have listed here is the cost of the same stick if bought from CCOM by the box. Note the value for the 1st month falls well short of the 'over $100' they quote, they are obviously quoting MSRP, some of the sticks come out at $6 or less, but it it still represents good value overall, in my opinion and does give you an opportunity to sample 5 different sticks in a month, in fact I was thinking about opting for the 'double option where you get 2 of each for $49.95 which would push the cost / stick down to $5.39 . I am finding smoking a single stick doesn't really give you a good overall impression of the gar, you have to smoke 2 at least ..... anyhow, that's my excuse !!!
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    xmacro:
    Much appreciated guys :) I'm thinking I may give it a few months to see what I get and go from there
    my brother got COTM for 6 months for christmas...I am going to miss it very badly...it has turned me on to quite a few great cigars and jogged my memory on a few that I had in the past but had forgot about. Very very worth the price....not to mention the 10% discount you get on all your orders after you join COTM.