Home General Discussion
Options

Flying with Cigars

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
All right you seasoned business class travellers, who bring your GoF's and HMR's along for the ride. What are the rules of the air for traveling with Cigars? I am heading down to Fresno to visit Dad, herf a tad, and want to bring a few sticks in a Cigar Caddy. Do the friendly and cheerful staff of the TSA allow such things to pass them by, without "seizing and destroying for the safety of other travelers"? image

Obviously, my cutter, punch, and or lighter is out, but an inexpensive (read "disposable") Bic will do once I get there. And specifically, I have a Gurkha Grand Reserve that I am going to bring, to broach with Dad...so, are glass tubed cigars considered a weapon, and thereby banned? image

Comments

• Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    bringing cigars on the plane won't be a problem....If you have a herf-a-dor...even better.....you'll be fine....and enjoy your trip....
  • Options
    When I fly from LAX to Vegas I always bring my cigars on the plane with me. If your punch is on a keyring just add it to your car/house keys and put them in the tray and if you have a cheap cutter thats all plastic but the blades, you can do the same thing. ( I have both on there with no problem) Lighter is out unless you check in bags, but you can get bic and/or matches etc. oh and Im not sure on the glass tubes, sorry.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Carry them on. I travel quite a bit and bring sticks all the time. I have never had trouble. You can bring a cutter and lighter, I just tuck them in a pair of sock in my lugguage under the plane. Again, never had any trouble.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Definitely put your sticks in your carry on. I stick one of my disposable cutters in my shaving kit (checked). From TSA:

Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.

Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm