Home General Discussion

A few thoughts and questions about 5 Vegas Miami

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
I have smoked 10 or 12 of these over the last couple of years without a lot of success. They either had burn or draw issues. The flavor was always there but the problems did not lend itself to enjoyment. I know they are a DPG creation and recognize that they are considered good sticks. That was until today. I smoked one today that just blew me away. This thing screamed DPG all the way. The burn and draw were perfect. The experience mind numbing, along with the punch in the gut it delivered. My questions are these, why so many issues with this stick? Are the burn/draw issues with it common? How come some have different labels on them? The one I had today had the large 5 Vegas label and foot band. Are they all made at the same factory?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, what sizes have you been having troubles with and what size burned great?
  • I had a sampler of Miamis and every one of them was dead on good.  Mine had the large label and the foot band.

When they come on special again, I'm buying some more.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I hadn't had great luck with the Miami until they released the Knuckle, that size takes everything great about the Miami and serves it up on a platter. Also the M5 has been good to me, seems that for me the bigger the ring gauge on a Miami, the better.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    seems that for me the bigger the ring gauge on a Miami, the better.
    there are very few cigars that have this attribute. this is probably due to the Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper being toned down to the correct degree on the larger rings. since there is more filler to wrapper on the larger rings, the Cuban seed Dominican grown wrapper will be able to smooth out the spice of the wrapper and binder. A true Nicaraguan Corojo is spicy and woody, and too much of this will give a "harshing" effect. the sweet earth, leather and general roundness of Dominican tobacco, in the right proportions calm this down quite a bit.

i would venture to say that the DPG Cuban Classic is similar that the larger the ring brings a bit better smoke out. i wouldnt know because i have only had one of them. (robusto if i remember correctly)

though i personally dont dig on the Miami, i can see why fans of spicy cigars would. the spice in this cigar is the complex part. it keeps people that like spice interested throughout the cigar.

my experience with the Miami is that its decent all the way to the last third then it almost always turns bad on me. not so sure why on that.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The Miami is my fave 5 Vegas.....The last one I had however (Toro) I could not even draw off so it got tossed within 5 minutes...that is really the only poor one I have had...I have 10 Torps on the way, I enjoy larger ring sizes in my sticks...
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I have had about a dozen of both the torpedo and toro. I've never had a problem with any of them other than a minor touch up here and there which you can expect with almost any cigar. I'm not a huge robusto guy but the first time a had a Miami it was a robusto and still the best one I've had.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I hadn't had great luck with the Miami until they released the Knuckle, that size takes everything great about the Miami and serves it up on a platter. Also the M5 has been good to me, seems that for me the bigger the ring gauge on a Miami, the better.
    Joe took the words right out of my mouth.

....and I don't appreciate you putting your hands in my mouth. :-p
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    j0z3r:
    Joe took the words right out of my mouth.

....and I don't appreciate you putting your hands in my mouth. :-p
    And you think I appreciate having to put my hands in there, what with all the slime and half-chewed food-stuffs? Big Smile [:D]
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Hmm I had a similar experience. Had several of the torps last year and didnt get much out of it. Recently had the 5.5x55 and was amazed.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    After studying the sizes I realized that most of my problems have been with the torp and toro. The one that delivered big time was the M5. The M5 embodied what a good DPG cigar is IMO. Spicy, complex, well made, packs a punch
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have only had one of these, but really enjoyed it. Hmm...maybe I will dig through this humi this weekend and find my last one.

"Long ashes my friends."