Home General Discussion
Options

WTF?

Alright so I went to the Ashton event at the B&M where I grew up. Got a few sticks, not much due to I already blew my cigar budget for the week! Loved the VSG!

NOW for the WTF part

I leave the event to meet the wife at our favorite bar by the river. They have an out side bar with a smoking section. Now EVERYONE is smoking their nasty cigs. I go ahead and light the Heritage I just picked up.

Now needless to say I"m about 3/4 inch into it, really starting to decide that I'm gonna really enjoy this stick..
Next thing you know the manager is at my table asking me to put out my cigar because they don't allow cigars there. THIS IS OUTSIDE IN THE SMOKING SECTION!!! My wife smoking her cig at the time has nothing said to her at all.

Not exactally the way I wanted to start my night. BTW you can still smoke in bars in WI for another month or so, luckily the next 2bars didn't mind my cigars and even let me smoke inside. Anybody else have this happen? I was shocked that the "SMOKING SECTION" doesn't include cigars.

Comments

• Options
    gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Some restaurants are like this, but never heard something like this happening at a bar??? I guess some owners forget that there are plenty of other bars & restaurants, probably within a half mile, that WILL allow their customers to actually enjoy themselves in their establishments.

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Man, that sucks. Really loving those double-standards they have in place. Did the manager give you a reason why cigars weren't allowed?
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    it would no longer get a DIME from Me! F them!
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Redtailhawkoz:
    They said some people don't like the way they smell. My response ofcourse was I hate the smell of cigarettes.

The other issue was I planned to relight it once our friends arrived. Problem is the waitress threw it away while I was in the restroom. I will not be returning any time soon!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sirfoster83:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    They said some people don't like the way they smell. My response ofcourse was I hate the smell of cigarettes.

The other issue was I planned to relight it once our friends arrived. Problem is the waitress threw it away while I was in the restroom. I will not be returning any time soon!
    at that point i would have asked for compensation.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    kuzi16:
    sirfoster83:
    Redtailhawkoz:

When the manager apologized I told him he could send some one to the shop to replace it.. The shops backdoor is right next to the bars parking lot. What DID I get from him a Miller Lite! Not a few but 1. I didn"t even know how to respond> i was not happy~
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    +1!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    sirfoster83:
    kuzi16:
    sirfoster83:
    Redtailhawkoz:

When the manager apologized I told him he could send some one to the shop to replace it.. The shops backdoor is right next to the bars parking lot. What DID I get from him a Miller Lite! Not a few but 1. I didn"t even know how to respond> i was not happy~
    What I would have done with after I ordered my food, I would have walked out. Let them eat that bill.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    yes, I would have ordered somthing of equal value, dumped an ashtray on it and leave it on the table having not paid the bill.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    That sucks man! I would have told the manager that you hate cigg. smoke and to tell everyone to put theirs out as well. I'd be pissed as well
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I would have told him to suck it. I did that at a place a while ago. I had half a drink too, but I told the assistant mgr to go F himself after I tried talking to him about it. I left, didn't even pay for my drink.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I have been in several places that were posted as smoking sections, but had a notice "no cigar smoking". That's fine, if I know in advance. If I'd have lit up, without a sign, I'd have told him to shove off. They can't enforce rules against you and not everyone else. Let everyone else get up and leave.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    yes, I would have ordered somthing of equal value, dumped an ashtray on it and leave it on the table having not paid the bill.
    haha, that's awesome!
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    The whole thing sounds like BS to me. Can't believe they tossed your smoke, A-holes!
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I would have found out what thier bouncers looked like first hand and tested thier skills.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    You defintely should have gotten more than a Miller Lite out of the deal and had a right to press further since the restaurant damaged your personal property and was guilty of false advertising.

It was definitely not fair that they did that, but it's not uncommon. It all boils down to profit here and for the manager he'd rather lose your business than that of the patrons that complained (whether or not he's actually done the math, which he probably hasn't).

You shouldn't have spent a dime there. You had every right to have your entire bill to that point as well as the price of the cigar refunded to you on the premise of false advertising. You chose that establishment based on their providing a smoking section and you were technically baited and switched.

Never be afraid to stand up for your rights or your money. In capitalism we vote with our dollars and when someone rips you off they're silencing your voice. I would personally never go back there and steer anyone away that asked about it.

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I agree with doromath, but I would advise a few things.

Firstly, if the place says 'no smoking cigarss, I would totally understand that. Additionally, if I light up around a few people, I usually ask those in the closest proximity if they mind. I know I don't HAVE to do this, but it's a courtesy. Even if I smoked cigarettes, I would ask the person with a lit cigarette next to me if they minded. I can't remember who on here said it, but it's up to us as cigar smokers to be a better breed then those who aren't. We will need to work twice as hard to enjoy our pasttime half as much, and even though others might be dicks, we need to behave nicer then anybody else would ever need to. If something calls you an *** for smoking a cigar, you have to grit your teeth and bear it, to an extent. It's a fine line, but we need to be better then them.

At the same time, if push comes to shove, you need to be ready to shove. That was a smoking section. It wasn't a cigarette section. I would see about filing a complaint with the BBB, for both the false advertising, and the fact that the waitress destroyed your property and there was no real compensation. Additionally, you could probably contact the owner or corporate office. Don't let them step on you.