Home Non Cigar Related
Options

1998 Dodge Dakota SLT

Hey guys I'm takin a long shot here... Anyone in the forum community own one of these? My moms bf has one that he never uses that's in great shape. I would get it for free if I just trade her back the car I bought from her last year that I'm still making payments on.

The car I have now is a 2006 Ford Taurus SE, and since I'm a landscaper it seems more practical to have a truck. This one is a little smaller than I'd like in a truck, but it seems like a good deal. Anyone got one?

Comments

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    got an 2006 durango, being my first suv i do so much with it loading stuff in back and added the hitch and load racks on top for towing and carring ladders and stuff on top,you might have more fun with it
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    cannot go wrong with a dodge IMO. I have owned 2 rams and love/loved both.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    My uncle had a 99 or 2000 Dakota. He had alot of issues with it. The rear end and tranny had major issues. I'm not saying they are all like that by any means as I love Dodge just saying what his experience was.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    What kind of mileage does it have? I like Dodge, but unless it is their diesel I stay away. Even then they have issues that really shouldn't arise. I have 109K on my 01 Tundra and the only thing I have had to replace that wasn't ordinary maintenance was a brake booster.

This may be just fine depending on it history too. Check for oil leaks in the engine, how often fluids were changed (and not just the engine oil); check the history of the trans, rear diff, and if it's 4 wheel drive the front diff and transfer case. Transmissions on Dodge's are notorious for going out quickly. I would suggest flushing it if it hasn't been done in a while. Keep that fluid looking clean and it will increase the odds of the truck staying on the road. One of my friends had an 98 Dodge R/T sport truck with the 5.9 V8 in it. It had gobs of torque, but it ate through gas and not only leaked oil like crazy, but it burned up to 2 quarts every 3000 miles. And that was apparently "normal" according to Dodge. This was only at 58K on the truck.

If you think the truck may serve you well, then get it. Just make sure it is a good shape and keep up with the maintenance.