Home Cigar 101
Options

Over humidified?

OrangeOrange Posts: 18
I have a 40 or so count humidor with 2 bovida 72s in there. I have noticed some of my cigars toward the end of the smoke, the wrapper is breaking up on me. Not all of them but a few. Now where I live is humid so I was thinking, maybe going outside and adding heat plus outdoor humidity is the problem.

I don't know though. My rh stays about 68 in humidor and between 67-71 degrees.

Comments

• Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    should be ok
  • Options
    It's probably those yard sticks you bought bro ;) They dont seem to have the greatest roll on them.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have the same problem occasionaly. I live in south texas, so it is humid here as well, but I don't think the humidity is what is causing it. I had it happen to a man o war ruination yesterday, and have had it happen to quite a few different cigars. What I have always attributed it to is my initial cut being too deep sometimes. It seems when I cut it too far the wrap on the cigar is loose, and i find myself rolling it back on.
  • Options
    It's not really an un-rolling problem, more of a cracking wrapper problem. I may squeeze them too much toward the nub trying not to burn my fat fingers getting every last draw. But it happens on non yard sticks too.

But you're right sherlock, my La Carolinas are. Not the best this batch. I think I left em outside too long when they were delivered. UPS man hid em so they stayed out side for 24 hours, whoops.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    It also could easily be how much you are cutting of the head when you clip them. The more you cut off the more likely a 'gar is to unravel or crack... at least that's the case in my experience.

You doing the good ol' "cut as little as you possibly can in order to still get draw" method?
  • Options
    Could be, I can be cut happy sometimes. I'll tone it down some an see if I have better luck.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    GadwinDuil:
    It also could easily be how much you are cutting of the head when you clip them. The more you cut off the more likely a 'gar is to unravel or crack... at least that's the case in my experience.

You doing the good ol' "cut as little as you possibly can in order to still get draw" method?
    I've had that happen. I've also noticed if they are in heat ie.. I forgot them in the car for a few hours... If I try to cut and light up they usually crack. If they have been exposed to great temp or rH swings I let them rest for another few weeks to try to save the stick. Just my opinion though. Might just be in my head
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    sirfoster83:
    GadwinDuil:

I've had that happen. I've also noticed if they are in heat ie.. I forgot them in the car for a few hours... If I try to cut and light up they usually crack. If they have been exposed to great temp or rH swings I let them rest for another few weeks to try to save the stick. Just my opinion though. Might just be in my head
    If you have a wrapper start to unroll on your stick you can use Liquid Pectin to help re-seal the wrapper. It is just basically fruit glue, no taste and you don't have to use very much at all.

I keep my jar in the fridge just because it is a food product with a little brush to apply it. I figure I will be able to pass this bottle with about half the contents still inside to my son when I die. LMAO. Work great for those times when you make a bad cut, or un unusually dry stick starts to un-roll.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orange:
    I have a 40 or so count humidor with 2 bovida 72s in there. I have noticed some of my cigars toward the end of the smoke, the wrapper is breaking up on me. Not all of them but a few. Now where I live is humid so I was thinking, maybe going outside and adding heat plus outdoor humidity is the problem. I don't know though. My rh stays about 68 in humidor and between 67-71 degrees.
    I've had this too, I'm thinking that the inside of the cigar is taking up more humidity/faster than the wrapper can handle, add heat and...you see. I'm not sure if time will even things out, or if you need to give these a little dry time before smoking. Still working on the same issue, both seem to help.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    Amos Umwhat:
    Orange:
    I have a 40 or so count humidor with 2 bovida 72s in there. I have noticed some of my cigars toward the end of the smoke, the wrapper is breaking up on me. Not all of them but a few. Now where I live is humid so I was thinking, maybe going outside and adding heat plus outdoor humidity is the problem. I don't know though. My rh stays about 68 in humidor and between 67-71 degrees.
    I've had this too, I'm thinking that the inside of the cigar is taking up more humidity/faster than the wrapper can handle, add heat and...you see. I'm not sure if time will even things out, or if you need to give these a little dry time before smoking. Still working on the same issue, both seem to help.
    i would try both first. when you cut them make sure you are cutting off as little as possible. thats why i like the punch cut on any stick that is under 5" and not torpedo tipped. if you punch anything longer than that in my opinion you start to get the hole clogged and then you get the tar in your mouth. nothing worse that tasting the tar from a 'gar. i had a airbender and i punched it. i ended up getting a clog in the hole and tried to guillotine it to get it to open back up. needless to say that didnt happen. when i smoke i tend to the wrapper wet from my saliva. when i guillotined it i ended up tearing the whole wrapper off not even half way through the 'gar. it was a train-wreck after that. ended up tossing it with more than half of it still left. be careful to that you are not smoking too fast as well. the quicker you smoke the faster the heat will come through the stick and expand the filler. hope this helps