Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Credit Cards

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I'm wondering what company you people have. I have capital one right now and they piss me off. I hate membership fees and even though they waive them it's still a pain. I'm looking for a good card and company and no member fees. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I recommend going through your local credit union, since they are not formed for profit, savings typically gets passed down to members.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    sightunseen:
    I recommend going through your local credit union, since they are not formed for profit, savings typically gets passed down to members.
    +2
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    agreed.
    i have one card... and it is from my favorite clothing store. i have it because i can get a low rate through them. not only that but their customer service is fantastic. i dont think that will help you at this point. the store card started out with a crazy high interest rate. i had to have it for a few years to get it low. my wife has a capitol one card. she hasnt had many problems with it... yet. we also have a credit union card that we like too. of course, we dont use any of these cards anymore. we are working on getting and staying out of debt.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I have an american express blue that gets me 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drugstores which is nice. I also have a bank of america card incase people dont take AMEX but BoA kinda sucks compared to amex. Example, when trying to pay a bill, amex allows you to pay same day while BoA requires 3 days of processing time, aka, forget to pay the bill till 2 days before its due and its late. AMEX also has a better website.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    USAA, only problem is they often decline payment to online cigar joints (read ccom). Other than that they are ok.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    agreed.
    i have one card... and it is from my favorite clothing store. i have it because i can get a low rate through them. not only that but their customer service is fantastic. i dont think that will help you at this point. the store card started out with a crazy high interest rate. i had to have it for a few years to get it low. my wife has a capitol one card. she hasnt had many problems with it... yet. we also have a credit union card that we like too. of course, we dont use any of these cards anymore. we are working on getting and staying out of debt.
    Ok, here I go---and I already know it will be accused of a personal attack---but I must.

The man asked about what credit card to use....thats it. You told him about your favorite clothing store card and how great your rate is...then said it wont help him. You made a point Capitol One treats you better. Then you had to say that, and you no longer use them and are being financially stable and responsible.

Where does this answer any of Squirrels question, and how does it do anything tout your own successes and decisions as opposed to trying to help someone with an issue?..........BTW, I have been very happy with my rate and lack of fees with my Discover card. Only trouble is it not being as widely accepted as the big 2.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Credit Unions are best... Also Chase, but only cause I worked for them once...
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    agreed.
    Ok, here I go---and I already know it will be accused of a personal attack---but I must.

The man asked about what credit card to use....thats it. You told him about your favorite clothing store card and how great your rate is...then said it wont help him. You made a point Capitol One treats you better. Then you had to say that, and you no longer use them and are being financially stable and responsible.

Where does this answer any of Squirrels question, and how does it do anything tout your own successes and decisions as opposed to trying to help someone with an issue?
    did you see my first line? i said i agreed with the other two posters. credit union cards are the way to go. i also said in my last lines that i have a credit union card as well.
    in between i explained how i was unable to help him instantly and why. i was telling him how i was successful and maybe that could help a BOTL. how will this help? a little reading between the lines may help here. get a card with great customer service, keep it paid up, and in time, you can have a card that is great to you. this is why i said it may not help "at this point"

we stopped using our capitol one card not because they were treating us poorly, but because we are trying to stay out of debt... or not to add to our existing debt... so i dont know if they are actually treating us better. we hardly have contact with them anymore so i cant help there at all. wish i could

does that make sense?

sorry if i didnt clearly state my intentions fully.

ill be glad to take blame for this one. my point was as clear as mud.

as to if this is a personal attack... i didnt think so... but if you are concerned as if i was thinking it was ... it could have been worded better.
  • Options
    another thing you can do is get a personal loan from a bank (if you have good credit). often times these will have lower rates than credit cards. there are bank loans out there that have a card attached to them if you need the card. if you get that loan, you can transfer the balance from Capitol One to the bank card (often without a fee) and be done with CO once and for all.

hows that for help?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    another thing you can do is get a personal loan from a bank (if you have good credit). often times these will have lower rates than credit cards. there are bank loans out there that have a card attached to them if you need the card. if you get that loan, you can transfer the balance from Capitol One to the bank card (often without a fee) and be done with CO once and for all.

hows that for help?
    I would also add that banks typically take loan size into consideration in regards to pricing. The rule is the smaller the loan, the higher the rate. Depending on the size of your loan, the loan rate may in some instances exceed your credit card rate. If you go this route, make sure you find the "sweet spot" combination of loan size and rate.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    The only credit card we have now is a C1. Not very happy with the interest rate but have a large limit that is there if needed. Got rid of two other c cards with our tax return, they were excessive interest ( I found out if I just paid the minimum payment, the next month the minimum payment was higher...what's up with that?!?!?)

Anyway, I switched to a credit union a couple of years ago because my local bank wouldn't loan us money to help us to get out of debt even though we had a plan in writing. Took the same plan to the cu and got the loan. In addition, we have a Mastercard debit card that can also be used as a credit card that we like.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Citi and I pay off 100% of the balance every month to avoid any fees.
  • Options
    poypoykingpoypoyking Posts: 55
    There isn't a good credit card company. If you don't have cash for something you should not buy it. The exception to this is a mortgage for a home. There is over $850 billion in credit card debt in this nation. The average household (that has credit cards) has almost $16,000 in credit card debt. How is that a good idea? Your visa check card can do pretty much anything that your credit card can do. I only ran into a problem one time where a hotel did not want to take the check card for a deposit, and I just went right across the street and got a better room for the same price. Sorry if I came on a little strong, I have seen too many family members' and friends' lives ruined by credit cards. Feel free to ignore me, just my opinion.
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    The vast majority of the time I use my debit card I have with the local bank. On top of that I have a Capital One Student Rewards card that I use on purchases such as food and clothing top earn the cash back. I keep the balance low, pay it off in full every month and only have it to help build my credit score up. I've never had any problems with Capital One, and I'm sure most every company is a great credit card company if you get one with no annual fees and only use it when you have the funding to pay it off in full every month.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I'll just go a head and get one through my credit union then. Never really thought of it.
  • Options
    poypoyking:
    There isn't a good credit card company. If you don't have cash for something you should not buy it. The exception to this is a mortgage for a home. There is over $850 billion in credit card debt in this nation. The average household (that has credit cards) has almost $16,000 in credit card debt. How is that a good idea? Your visa check card can do pretty much anything that your credit card can do. I only ran into a problem one time where a hotel did not want to take the check card for a deposit, and I just went right across the street and got a better room for the same price. Sorry if I came on a little strong, I have seen too many family members' and friends' lives ruined by credit cards. Feel free to ignore me, just my opinion.
    true, very true. I like the rewards for travel though..
  • Options
    poypoykingpoypoyking Posts: 55
    I don't know why my formatting disappears every time I submit my post :P
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    None! Payed off, and gone. Never again will I use a credit card. Those things are evil. Actually, I think we still have a shell card now that I think about it. I never use it, but it's there I guess. I like the credit union idea though. We need to change banks. We had wa mu, but then it got gobbled up by Chase. I think I hate chase more than I hated BofA. I'm tired and rambling.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I used to have major credit card debt. Had like three cards maxed out at one point. I finally paid them all off and canceled them all. I fixed my credit and brought my score up. But my score could never get above 780 for some reason. Then someone suggested I get one credit card and just never use it or use it minimally. I guess it's good to have open lines of credit. So, I have one card that gets me airline miles and I keep it paid off and now my credit score is well over 800. I have a US Airways Dividend Card, not sure what bank it is. No annual fee and I think a 12% interest rate. I think once I use the miles, I'm gonna switch to a Cabela's or a GM card. Might as well get some rewards points that I can use for stuff I like! My bank card also gets me a ton of points through citibank. I'm saving those up for a Disney World trip with the kids in a couple years.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..