Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity

How can you tell if a cigar is over/ under humidified BEFORE you light it up? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Under: hard as a rock. Over: Spongy and squishy, not to be confused with the slight give from a properly humidified cigar. At least that has been my experience.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I can never really tell myself. So, just to be safe, I always let a stick rest for at least two weeks in my humi (which is always around 65% rh). Takes the guess work out of it.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Under: hard as a rock. Over: Spongy and squishy, not to be confused with the slight give from a properly humidified cigar. At least that has been my experience.
    there is also a texture difference. im not sure how to describe that one.

and when you clip it may flake a bit.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    there is also a texture difference. im not sure how to describe that one.

and when you clip it may flake a bit.
    Had to add a drymistat to the bottom section of my humi. When I would cut my sticks they were starting to flake a little and I wanted to nip it in the bud before it got worse.

No more issues so far. But I have trouble telling before I cut.Unless its hard as a rock
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the subject came up. I have a drymistat tube in my 20 ct humi. It's been at 65 RH. I also have three water pillows in there with it. It's been going down to about 63-62. Should I remove the water pillows and just leave the tube by itself. I checked the tube and it's still charged pretty good. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Pacman84:
    Since the subject came up. I have a drymistat tube in my 20 ct humi. It's been at 65 RH. I also have three water pillows in there with it. It's been going down to about 63-62. Should I remove the water pillows and just leave the tube by itself. I checked the tube and it's still charged pretty good. Thanks in advance.
    That sounds strange. Those water pillows are usually 67 %, so I'm guessing it may be that they are low on water and they may be pulling some of that moisture from the Drymistat tube. Try removing them and see if the RH goes up again. Or add some distilled water to them and put them back in and watch the RH. That would be my guess.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I was thinking too I'm gonna try that when I get home. Thanks again laker. By the way I ordered the Brazilian Churchill and the Cuban blend.