Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Umpires in Baseball

Anyone else just see that blue blow the perfect game bid with that call at first? The runner is off the bag by a step, the pitcher has the ball in his glove and the blue calls safe. That pitcher probably won't ever have that chance again...

Aside from that, it seems like umpires are getting a bit more involved in the game than they should be lately. For instance, Mark Buerhle and his manager getting thrown out over blown balk calls, Roy Oswalt getting thrown out when he is clearly throwing over the plate and the umpire refuses to call a strike, etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    What's his face spouting off about the Red Sox-Yankees, and he won't quit running his mouth. He does seem like they're getting a little too involved. That call in Detroit was just horrible. I just can't see how he thought that runner was safe.
  • Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Garen B:
    Anyone else just see that blue blow the perfect game bid with that call at first? The runner is off the bag by a step, the pitcher has the ball in his glove and the blue calls safe. That pitcher probably won't ever have that chance again...

Aside from that, it seems like umpires are getting a bit more involved in the game than they should be lately. For instance, Mark Buerhle and his manager getting thrown out over blown balk calls, Roy Oswalt getting thrown out when he is clearly throwing over the plate and the umpire refuses to call a strike, etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on the subject?

Weird. The Sox get a pitcher and their manager ejected by the first base ump when playing the Indians. Now the Tigers are robbed by the first base up while playing the Indians. Hmmmm...

Seriously though, I was talking to a guy at work about the game. Sometime in the 6th inning, I told him that in the 9th, with 2 outs, Jason would get a hit and ruin the perfect game. When I saw it on the box score update, I got excited. When I saw the replay at home, I felt bad.

I sucks for Gallarraga, and I hope the MLB offices overturn the call and give him credit for the perfect game (not sure if they can or not...), but I think the actions of the ump after the game, when he saw the replay, show there was no malicious intent. The other things you mentioned, it does make you wonder if there's some motive with the umps.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a limited number of replays allowed, like pro football. I can see not wanting to slow down the game, but in this case a man's place in history was taken away from him on a horrible call!
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

All the human F ups w refs & umps are good for the business.
    It drives up ratings for the sport, it drives up ratings for all the sports shows and sports talk radio

Totally the reason it isnt fixed properly!

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Fourtotheflush:

It drives up ratings for the sport, it drives up ratings for all the sports shows and sports talk radio

There you have it.... Do you really think we would have all these NEWS Channels if they reported GOOD news.... 98% of all news is Negative...... It gets ratings ... Americans Love to see Failure and Death and Destruction.... It is what is wrong with Society , If we went back to the old ways of being neighborly, Helping others, Respecting Nature and others Life would be good.......
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Did anyone else see how they just did a vote with the players and they still voted Jim Joyce the best ump in the league? To vote him that after he blew the perfect game shows that he is a stand up ump and has all the players respect even after a horrible call like that.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Fourtotheflush:

There you have it.... Do you really think we would have all these NEWS Channels if they reported GOOD news.... 98% of all news is Negative...... It gets ratings ... Americans Love to see Failure and Death and Destruction.... It is what is wrong with Society , If we went back to the old ways of being neighborly, Helping others, Respecting Nature and others Life would be good.......
    Amen Oz - you just got my vote for President!