Home Cigar 101
Options

An interesting find!

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
I went camping for the long weekend and smoked up some great inventory. I was cleaning out some stuff from the camper when I got back including an old cigar box I used to put my sticks in while camping. I now just take a 20 ct humi with me. Anyway, when I picked up the box something thumped in there. Holy smokes I found a stick in there that has been in for at least 6 months, maybe much longer, with no climate control. A bizarre winter and now 90+ heat with no humidification. The thing is the stick looks perfect! I cannot believe how good it looks. I immediately went into rescue mode and am now nursing it and it is in the ICU box. I was just impressed with how good of condition the wrapper is and the stick seems to have plenty of weight like it has not dried out. I cannot ever remember smoking this label so I have no idea what to expect. It is an Etiqua Azul, anyone ever heard of it? I have nothing to compare it to when I do smoke it.

Comments

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    That happened to me one time. My buddy gave me a nice stick at a golf outing. I obviously brought my own and figured he wouldn't know what I was smoking so I figured I would age it a little. On my way home, it fell under seat and due to the radio just announcing that a funnel cloud was spotted, I pulled into the garage and booked it for the basement. I forgot about the cigar. Every time I vacuumed my car I missed it because it was tucked way down there. Well, after a winter and blazing summer, I found it. I put it in the humidor for a year and finally took it out for another golf outing. After two puffs I threw it as far as I could. It was so bad that it actually ruined every stick I had that day because I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. I hope your outcome is different.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    undulac:
    That happened to me one time. My buddy gave me a nice stick at a golf outing. I obviously brought my own and figured he wouldn't know what I was smoking so I figured I would age it a little. On my way home, it fell under seat and due to the radio just announcing that a funnel cloud was spotted, I pulled into the garage and booked it for the basement. I forgot about the cigar. Every time I vacuumed my car I missed it because it was tucked way down there. Well, after a winter and blazing summer, I found it. I put it in the humidor for a year and finally took it out for another golf outing. After two puffs I threw it as far as I could. It was so bad that it actually ruined every stick I had that day because I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. I hope your outcome is different.
    rofl. I was hoping for a happier ending. "After a year in the humidor, it actually tasted decent!" Heh, that didn't work out so well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    undulac:
    rofl. I was hoping for a happier ending. "After a year in the humidor, it actually tasted decent!" Heh, that didn't work out so well.
    man... i have a cigar thats been in the humidor for about 3 years after being out for 4 months. its a CAO black.

maybe i should just chuck it.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    TatuajeVI:
    undulac:
    man... i have a cigar thats been in the humidor for about 3 years after being out for 4 months. its a CAO black.

maybe i should just chuck it.
    No way! you gotta at least light her up!
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I have no regrets lighting it up. It was about a $15 Fuente from the B&M so I had to give it a shot. If you are in a similar situation, smoke it. If it sucks, oh well. I'd do it again.
  • Options
    I found an H. Upmann that had been sitting on top of a bookshelf for three years, the celo being its only protection. It was fine. Not bad at all, actually. Must've been built like a tank.

If the Etiqueta Azul tastes weird to you, it's because it's a weird cigar, not necessarily because of the storage. It's infused with mysterious herbs and stuff. They're fun to smoke until a friend catches you.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Blackguard:
    If the Etiqueta Azul tastes weird to you, it's because it's a weird cigar, not necessarily because of the storage. It's infused with mysterious herbs and stuff. They're fun to smoke until a friend catches you.

+1 I think this is a DE value line smoke. The gar smelled more like pipe tobacco pre - light. I only had one but also remember it being a bit funky.

• Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i would definitely let it sit and see if you can nurse it back but you have to try and light it. its a 'gar. if it is bad toss. if not you know you did well in bringing it back to life