Home Non Cigar Related
Options

It's summer. We need a BBQ thread!

2»

Comments

• Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Jetmech_63:
    Tri tip.... I was just about to post about that! Seems californians take their tri tip pretty seriously...I know I do. I use a kenmore 4 burner grill. It's large enough that when I want to add smoke I can use one side for meat and the other for soaked wood wrapped in foil with holes poked in it. It may be ghetto by Kansas city standards but it works really well. I also soak the wood chips in Evan Williams whiskey overnight. But normally I just rub it with minced garlic, thyme, a little brown sugar and salt then finish it up with sweet baby rays sauce.

Nice. Seems that I've only heard us Cali folks talk about tri tip. I don't know what it is, and I know it's not BBQ in the traditional sense, but I love the stuff. I'm going to have to stop by the meat market and get a sandwich next time I'm in town.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    undulac:
    Less talkie talkie and more recipes!!
    Amen Brother ! +1
    Oh and Pheebs, still need a hot and spicy BBQ sauce recipe? I have one that I've been playing around with. It's hot, spicy and chunky. I'll post it late today or manana.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    The Northwest isn't known for BBQ, but we can hold our own when it comes to smoked salmon. w00t.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    ive been all over the states. love the baby backs in memphis. but texas smoke house brisket and hot links.... rule period. and in NY i had some steak marinaded in spiedie sauce. it was soooo good . wish i could find that sauce out here in the west.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    minibeezy:
    Jetmech_63:
    Tri tip.... I was just about to post about that! Seems californians take their tri tip pretty seriously...I know I do. I use a kenmore 4 burner grill. It's large enough that when I want to add smoke I can use one side for meat and the other for soaked wood wrapped in foil with holes poked in it. It may be ghetto by Kansas city standards but it works really well. I also soak the wood chips in Evan Williams whiskey overnight. But normally I just rub it with minced garlic, thyme, a little brown sugar and salt then finish it up with sweet baby rays sauce.

Nice. Seems that I've only heard us Cali folks talk about tri tip. I don't know what it is, and I know it's not BBQ in the traditional sense, but I love the stuff. I'm going to have to stop by the meat market and get a sandwich next time I'm in town.
    I love tri tip. Makes a killer sandwich. But you're right, it's not common at all in Southern BBQ joints. I've cooked it a few times myself.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    CHICKEN

Yes, I said it.

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've gotten to eat in quite a few towns traveling for work. I have to say that my favorite pork is from Oklahoma Joe's in KC. I also do some up on my own that is pretty dang good.
    porksam
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I don't really give a flying F$%^ about what you retards consider BBQ or not BBQ. It's all delicious.

Here's a recipe I stole from Alton Brown on "Good Eats" for grilled chicken with a spicy dry rub.

Chop up a whole chicken (about 4.5 pounds) into it's individual pieces. Place them in a large zip-lock bag. Brine the pieces in the bag with the following:
    1 quart water
    6 oz honey
    3 ounces of kosher salt (if you use table salt, I'll kill you)

Leave them in the brine in the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes.

Remove pieces from the brine and pat them dry (do not wash them!) with paper towels. Get out a rack (or grab your rack from your oven and place it on the counter). Combine the following spices into a clean bag:
    1 T Chili powder
    1 T Curry powder
    2 tsps cocoa powder
    1 tsp each of Adobo, Cumin and Hot smoked paprika (if you don't have HOT paprika, add in a bit of cayenne pepper for some extra heat)

Squish the chicken parts around and coat thoroughly with the rub. Place individual pieces on the rack and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.

Grill them like you normally would do chicken - I like to sear them a bit on the outside and then move them away from the coals for some indirect lovin the rest of the way.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    I don't really give a flying F$%^ about what you retards consider BBQ or not BBQ. It's all delicious.

tell us how you really feel. ROTFL
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I thought this was a bbq thread, why are you putting things on a grill? I kid....I kid....:)
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    It kind of sucks up here in northeast ohio if you are a fan of bbq. We have plenty of places that claim they have good bbq but there is only one that is any good. Bubba's Q in Avon Oh, and I have to admit they are really good. The only down side is that they are in a upscale area so they are very expensive. But that is how I justify owning 2 grills (one gas one charcoal) and a smoker, its cheaper to do it myself. I have been playing around with making my own rubs and sauce and I think I am starting to get pretty close on the sauce. I wouldnt brag about it so I wont pass on the recipe just yet. But bbq is one of the best parts of summer. Sitting out back with a few beers and nice cigar and smelling the smoker for about 6 hours as you wait to eat some ribs. Dammit now I am hungry. Looks like its time to check the freezer.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sweet! Gonna try that recipe.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ok, so I wanna get in on some BBQ action, but due to living in a condo, all I have at my disposal is a charcoal grill (square with two racks - one on the bottom for charcoal, the second up higher for the food - has 4 vents - two on the hinged lid, two down near the charcoal), and some mesquite charcoal. How do I got about smoking some ribs? How long does it take? What do I need?
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    xmacro:
    ok, so I wanna get in on some BBQ action, but due to living in a condo, all I have at my disposal is a charcoal grill (square with two racks - one on the bottom for charcoal, the second up higher for the food - has 4 vents - two on the hinged lid, two down near the charcoal), and some mesquite charcoal. How do I got about smoking some ribs? How long does it take? What do I need?
    Smoking some ribs on a grill like that shouldnt be too hard. You can smoke them by getting some hickory wood chips or whatever wood you like and soaking them and then wrap them in foil and poke some holes in the foil and that will act like a smoker pan. You just place them on the coals and they will smoke as it goes. You will want an area for non-direct heat so place the charcoal on one half of the grill and leave the other half open. That is the side you would cook on. Without knowing the temp I cant give a definate time but I like to cook mine at about 260 degrees for about 5-6 hours but that is in my smoker so I am not sure how that would translate for you but I am sure someone would have some better advise than me. The smoker has a water pan in it that I usually put apple juice in when making ribs and I would think that it can be done by just putting a pan with it over the heat as it cooks. Hope this gives you something to at least get started with.
  • Options
    Dustin1981:
    xmacro:
    Smoking some ribs on a grill like that shouldnt be too hard. You can smoke them by getting some hickory wood chips or whatever wood you like and soaking them and then wrap them in foil and poke some holes in the foil and that will act like a smoker pan. You just place them on the coals and they will smoke as it goes. You will want an area for non-direct heat so place the charcoal on one half of the grill and leave the other half open. That is the side you would cook on. Without knowing the temp I cant give a definate time but I like to cook mine at about 260 degrees for about 5-6 hours but that is in my smoker so I am not sure how that would translate for you but I am sure someone would have some better advise than me. The smoker has a water pan in it that I usually put apple juice in when making ribs and I would think that it can be done by just putting a pan with it over the heat as it cooks. Hope this gives you something to at least get started with.
    +1 on this. exact same thing I was about to say. get a thermometer for your grill (walmart/home depot) and I normally smoke mine 6 hours at about 240. Once smoked, I like to stoke up the fire, slather on the sauce, and put a little crust on my ribs though.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    If you have a Weber grill, they recommend 20 briquets per side and then add 7 per side every hour. You Obviously need to use your vents to control the temp. Every time you peek under the lid you might as well ad 10-15 minutes of cooking. Only open when adding charcoal. Also check out the size of you grill because you may need less or more than the 20 and 7 per side.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    It kind of sucks up here in northeast ohio if you are a fan of bbq. We have plenty of places that claim they have good bbq but there is only one that is any good. Bubba's Q in Avon Oh
    a big +1 on that.

a coworker of mine went there tonight for his birthday.

its even better for him cos he was such a huge football/browns fan
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    jsnake:
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    This will be a regional war before it is over. Down here in the deep south BBQ is staple food. There is a joint on every corner and most are excellent. Just saying!
    yep. I'm trying to start it. See above post. haha
    Noted and unfortunately you are wrong! carolina style BBQ is King!
    Memphis bbq is pretty good, California is good too, but nothing beats a Texas smoked briskit from a Texas grown cow. KC is good for steaks, and for driving through ... Looks like IT'S ON!!!
    Kansas City Barbecue is considered the world's best Barbecue which gave rise to the city's motto "F#ck you, Texas".

The smack talk on this thread is the best......

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    TatuajeVI:

Here's a recipe I stole from Alton Brown on "Good Eats" for grilled chicken with a spicy dry rub.

Chop up a whole chicken (about 4.5 pounds) into it's individual pieces. Place them in a large zip-lock bag. Brine the pieces in the bag with the following:
    1 quart water
    6 oz honey
    3 ounces of kosher salt (if you use table salt, I'll kill you)

Leave them in the brine in the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes.

Remove pieces from the brine and pat them dry (do not wash them!) with paper towels. Get out a rack (or grab your rack from your oven and place it on the counter). Combine the following spices into a clean bag:
    1 T Chili powder
    1 T Curry powder
    2 tsps cocoa powder
    1 tsp each of Adobo, Cumin and Hot smoked paprika (if you don't have HOT paprika, add in a bit of cayenne pepper for some extra heat)

Squish the chicken parts around and coat thoroughly with the rub. Place individual pieces on the rack and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.

Grill them like you normally would do chicken - I like to sear them a bit on the outside and then move them away from the coals for some indirect lovin the rest of the way.

1st sentance here is my favorite Smack!