Home Cigar 101
Options

question about the 29.99 humidor

rygarrygar Posts: 17
It came with a humidifier i assume, but i am not sure what (if anything) i should do with it.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CGHUM1

this is the exact one that i had purchased.  i stuck the item to the top of the humidor with the adhesive side facing upward.  Now is there anything that i need to add to it?

also should i keep the cigars in their plastic cases or take them off?

i apologize for my amateurism.

rob

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Add distilled water to the humidifier. You need to season the humidor itself as well, before putting any cigars in it. Put a dish of distilled water in their, with your hygrometer, and let it sit for a few days, until the RH at least gets up to 70%, then take the dish out, leaving only the hygrometer and humidifier in it, and wait until the RH% is steady at whatever you want it to be (between 65% and 70% is the consensus generally)
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    As for whether your cigars should stay in the cellophane or not, that is 100% personal preferance. I cant stand naked cigars because the wrappers can easily chip or otherwise become damaged. I feel that naked cigars loose their flavor faster than cigars in cello but I dont have anything scientific to back that up.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Add distilled water to the humidifier. You need to season the humidor itself as well, before putting any cigars in it. Put a dish of distilled water in their, with your hygrometer, and let it sit for a few days, until the RH at least gets up to 70%, then take the dish out, leaving only the hygrometer and humidifier in it, and wait until the RH% is steady at whatever you want it to be (between 65% and 70% is the consensus generally)

where would i get a hygrometer?
    the thing i have in there looks similar to a filter so i wouldnt even know how to read it
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    rygar:
    docbp87:

where would i get a hygrometer?
    the thing i have in there looks similar to a filter so i wouldnt even know how to read it
    Any brick and mortar store will certainly have digital hygrometers, and of course you can get one from CCom. The thing in there now (looks like a little hockey puck with a grate over one side) is a humidifier, which is really just florists foam, in a plastic shell. It's not great, and needs to be recharged regularly, with distilled water. Some people use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and propylene glycol. Everyone here will sing the praises of humidity beads (myself included) as a means of properly regulating the humidity in your humidor. A company called Heartfelt makes them.
  • Options
    wow...i just realized i completely failed in my research....im glad you guys are this good.
    thank you for the input
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    You can also get a digital hygrometer from Walmart for $7.99. Some people like them some dont but I have 2 now and have not had any issues with either of them. For the money you are better off having a digital over analog.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    rygar:
    It came with a humidifier i assume, but i am not sure what (if anything) i should do with it.

this is the exact one that i had purchased.  i stuck the item to the top of the humidor with the adhesive side facing upward.  Now is there anything that i need to add to it?

rob

I too have the ccom humi, it's a nice little 20 count, I use it as an 'office' humi so I can keep a small selection of sticks handy at the office for those rare occasions I have the opportunity for an afternoon smoke while at work!

I tossed the stock 'puck' humidifier and purchased a "Humidity Kit 50" for $24.95 that contained a hygroset hygrometer, gel humidifier, seasoning kit and hygro calibration kit. the humidifier contains the same gel beads that everyone on ccom forums rave about but in a puck humidifier package that will mount inside the lid of your humi the same as the stock puck. The hygrometer can be calibrated using the calibration kit and your humi seasoned to 70%RH using the seasoning kit

Don't appologize for being "amateurish" we are all learning and you did the right thing coming here and asking questions. If you search the forums you should find plenty of info on humi seasoning and hygro calibration. In fact there may be too much info, but you can always come back and ask questions again!

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    rygar:

rob
    No need to apologize either rygar - every name on this forum started right where you're at knowledge-wise. Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    As for whether your cigars should stay in the cellophane or not, that is 100% personal preferance. I cant stand naked cigars because the wrappers can easily chip or otherwise become damaged. I feel that naked cigars loose their flavor faster than cigars in cello but I dont have anything scientific to back that up.
    interesting.

a cigar will age faster out of the cellophane.

so do they lose the flavor faster? to get technical... yes. there comes a point in a cigars life when it has aged too much. this usually happens to sticks that ate on the mild side. an over aged cigar will lose all of its good flavor.

for an example... try smoking a Macanudo from the early 90s. if it was one of their more mild blends (the mild of the milds) and not a "vintage" line then you should have a cigar that have almost no taste at all.

• Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Another example of why this is such a good community to be a part of.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    definetly pitch the puck and get beads or gel. i swear by the gel because thats what i have now. i havent tried the beads but i am 100% sure they are just as good if not better. now that i have my humi full my RH is staying at 67-68%. cant complain. also like someone else said, MAKE SURE YOU SEASON IT lol. not trying to be mean but if you dont you will ruin every cigar you have. thats is not what you want. hope this helps. oh and take your time. patience is key with cigars dont rush anything including the seasoning.