Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Paradigm 262 Torpedo Review

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
So...this is my first review...well, my first POSTED review on ccom. So don't be too rough on me. I like to use a 100pt scale and rate on different categories. Hope you enjoy it:

Paradigm 262 Torpedo

This cigar has a dark chocolate color wrapper. Upon taking the label off, the glue was stuck on the cigar and wrapper ripped. I took off 10 points off the overall 30pt max possible for construction. The lite was nice and even and first initial draw greeted my palette a strong nutty and toast notes with a quick finish.

As I got into the first 3rd, I tasted notes of light spice and orange peel. It was a nice refreshing change from the regular, same old earth flavored cigars. The smoke has a very rich and creamy character to it. The ash had a salt and pepper look, very nice to look at. The ash was very firm and hung on well into an inch or inch and a half. The draw is more on the loose side, but the cigar still has a good even burn to it and remained cool burning.

Second 3rd,- The ash hung on for 2 inches. Now I am getting hints of dark chocolate on the finish, the orange peel has given away to a more nutty finish. It’s very interesting, the flavors are really starting to bounce off of each other, very nice. The cigar is still putting out a good volume of rich creamy smoke. By now the dark chocolate has faded and given away to notes of Earth and leather. No re-lighting issues are occurring, and the burn remains even. The finish still remains quick, however, it is starting to remain little longer on the palette.

Last 3rd- Wrapper is starting to crack now at the last 3rd. Finish is still full of cool and creamy smoke. Not too many changes from the first 2/3s

Summary- During the first and second thirds the cigar had very good flavor, but towards the last 3rd, there wasn’t much going on. The label was glue directly to the wrapper which is a huge point deduction in my book and the wrapper started to crack on the end (my humi stays at 65%). In short, good cigar and would smoke one again, but will probably hold off on buying a box till I know the quality controls have been fixed.

Overall Appearance – 20/20 points
Lighting/Burning Properties- 15/15
Construction- 20/30
Taste- 30/35

Overall score: 85/100

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. I've also had trouble with the foot bands. Seems like too much glue is used to affix them. Still working on tasting that citrus. I've had a couple already and no luck so far.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    sightunseen:
    Nice review. I've also had trouble with the foot bands. Seems like too much glue is used to affix them. Still working on tasting that citrus. I've had a couple already and no luck so far.
    Im with you on not getting that citrus note. I've had a few of each vitola and really like them even, but yes the band tearing the wrapper is a real pain. Wont stop me from getting more of these bad boys tho!
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The foot band glue issue was supposed to be fixed. I will be sure it is addressed again.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    good review keep them coming.
    I want to see one on that padron the next time you fire one up.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    What's funny is that I reviewed the robo and box press also, (my own personal notes) and did not get any citrus flavors, if they are there, I must have missed it (I'll be the first one to tell you I don't have the most experienced cigar palette in the world)...but the torpedo I could def pick it up.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jsnake:
    The foot band glue issue was supposed to be fixed. I will be sure it is addressed again.
    Those were from the stash you sent me snake from our trade, were those first releases or from the "fixed" batch?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    good review keep them coming.
    I want to see one on that padron the next time you fire one up.
    Thanks! i will def do one eventually, I only smoke them on my kids bdays though...so my next one won't be until October. But if i remember, I'll do a review on it...I do remember that cigar was one helluva smooth and POWERFUL cigar. Wiped me out for a day, couldn't smoke anything else.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Not bad. Considering that if it weren't for the band issue it would of been closer to a 90 rating. I'm dying to try a 262. I keep meaning to order a sampler, but it's on my long list of things to try. Anyone know of a B&M in the Chicago area that has them??????
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Krieg:
    jsnake:
    Those were from the stash you sent me snake from our trade, were those first releases or from the "fixed" batch?
    Yes they were from the second production run. I pick up citrus in the torpedo but not the robusto and only a few times in the box pressed toro. I haven't had any wrapper issues and I have smoked a ton of these. I have noticed the foot band glue and in is annoying. Sending an email about it again today.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    Krieg:
    jsnake:
    Yes they were from the second production run. I pick up citrus in the torpedo but not the robusto and only a few times in the box pressed toro. I haven't had any wrapper issues and I have smoked a ton of these. I have noticed the foot band glue and in is annoying. Sending an email about it again today.
    don't know if u know this already, but stogiereviews.com has a review out for the paradigm. Pretty good review too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had 2 of these. I have to say I had a good and a bad experience. One was tasty the other was poor. I would have to have a few more to form a solid opinion. I have to say, I hate when glue is over used. I have run into this many times, most of the time when taking off a band (as I do before I smoke) the damn thing has to be torn off as the band is glued way too much or glue is actually on the wrapper and tears it when pulling off the band. Sometimes both. I think it is really a QC issue that needs to be addressed. It's been on many blends from different manufacturers.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Krieg,
    Keep up the reviews ,, their good!
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Krieg,
    Keep up the reviews ,, their good!
    +1
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Nice review, bro! I still gotta try this one... Thanks for posting to the site as well! I made your review as a formal post so I could add tags and it could be searchable. Here is the link in case you need it - 262 Paradigm Torpedo Review by Chris K. Thanks again! Maybe you should contribute to the site on a regular basis ;)...
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    Nice review, bro! I still gotta try this one... Thanks for posting to the site as well! I made your review as a formal post so I could add tags and it could be searchable. Here is the link in case you need it - 262 Paradigm Torpedo Review by Chris K. Thanks again! Maybe you should contribute to the site on a regular basis ;)...
    thanks! I actually have a couple of reviews stuck in my cigar dossier, I just finally got the nerve to post it online. Then I remembered your site and figured u wouldn't mind or if u thought it was crap, you'd just delete it lol. I'll post some more when get them typed up.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    Renaissance_Man:
    thanks! I actually have a couple of reviews stuck in my cigar dossier, I just finally got the nerve to post it online. Then I remembered your site and figured u wouldn't mind or if u thought it was crap, you'd just delete it lol. I'll post some more when get them typed up.
    Yea, it was a great review. You should join and be a recurring reviewer.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Krieg:
    Renaissance_Man:
    how do I join??

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    sightunseen:
    Krieg:
    Renaissance_Man:
    how do I join??
    I've just been emailing my reviews and pictures to Rennie. You should PM him and work out the details.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Krieg:
    sightunseen:
    Krieg:
    Renaissance_Man:
    how do I join??
    I've just been emailing my reviews and pictures to Rennie. You should PM him and work out the details.
    Yeah - that's pretty much it LOL... I can set you up with an account to post the reviews yourself, but the easy thing you can do is just e-mail it to me and include any photos you might have with it and I'll take care of the rest :)... Its actually working out pretty well. For me - I did not have much time to provide content, but it does not take me much to post it. So it works great with the guys sending me the content and me posting - really a team effort!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I cant smoke enough of these! New staple in my humi but i think i'm the only guy who hasnt picked up on the citrus note. I tried smoking while sniffing a lemon, smelling OJ....(trick i learned from kuzi...if you think you detect something like pepper....go sniff pepper...) i just cant find it. Even tried it with a citrusy IPA. Oh well, still an uber damn fine smoke!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I cant smoke enough of these! New staple in my humi but i think i'm the only guy who hasnt picked up on the citrus note. I tried smoking while sniffing a lemon, smelling OJ....(trick i learned from kuzi...if you think you detect something like pepper....go sniff pepper...) i just cant find it. Even tried it with a citrusy IPA. Oh well, still an uber damn fine smoke!
    I only tasted it on the torpedo, and not the robo or box press (if that helps). and it didn't last too long.

"Long ashes my friends."