Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Last 3 Cigars

Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
I figured rather than post 3 separate posts, I'd combine my last 3 reviews in one post, especially being as one sucked and the other two, while good, were not jump out at you incredible.

First on the list was a Man-O-War corona. I had such high hopes for this cigar. Construction was beautiful. The band was possibly the most beautiful band I've seen aside from some of the Gurkha bands. Pre-light aroma was of leather and cocoa. The cigar lit nice, started with some spice, lots of cocoa and some leather notes. About 2 inches in, I got a sticky, tar buildup around the head of the cigar that kept leaving a really nasty burning plastic taste on my tongue. The draw became really tight and the smoke, what little I was able to get, also had that burnt plastic taste. Just nasty. As much as I really wanted to love this cigar, I really couldn't. I had to put it out just over the half way point.

My next was a La Aroma de Cuba Immensa (5.5" x 60). This cannon looked, smelled and felt beautiful. Pre-light draw was easy and produced a clean taste. Nothing really stood out. After much toasting, it finally lit, burned evenly all the way down, but it burned a bit quick. However, even as it burned quick, it never got hot and always produced lots of smoke. This was a fairly strong cigar, but not very spicy - there was a faint, sweet spice lingering in the background. The dominant flavors were chocolate and coffee (dark coffee). Overall this was a VERY pleasant smoking experience and very reasonably priced. I'd recommend this one.

Finally, last night I lit up my Gurkha Estate Selection Vintage Toro. Nice feel and looks to this cigar. No band, attractive wrapper, nice sweet tobacco smell, hints of cocoa - the sweet smell of the wrapper kept popping up every time I held it to my lips to draw all through the smoke, it was actually quite nice. Clipped nicely and pre-light draw produced notes of cocoa and coffee. This one immediately reminded me a bit of the Royal Brigade, but a bit more coffee. There were some slight burn issues, but nothing too bad. I had to correct it once. Other than that, it was a nice cigar. Plenty of smoke that started with some spice, cocoa and dark coffee. The spice slowly faded through the length of the cigar and the cocoa and coffee (more like espresso) notes picked up and took its place. Again, reminded me in flavor profile of the Royal Brigade, which is a nice cigar as far as I'm concerned. Not sure which one I enjoyed more. I'd say right now I'd have to go with the RB, as I love that perfecto shape. I'll have to pick up some of the Estate Vintage in the perfecto and do another comparison.

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rob, I had a Man-O-War the other day, and it was a let down.The pre light did offer far more than the stick delivered. It is the second time in a year that I quit a cigar before the half way point. The flavor was ( IMO) not barnyard, but the barn floor. It tasted like ten kinds of crap. Sorry to anyone who enjoys this cigar, but it was not for me. I recut all the ash and chewed on it for about half an hour, tasted great. Re-light it. No way, had to toss it out. I never had a cigar that i enjoyed more chewing it than smoking it, until M-O-W.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nice reviews! I like the Gurkha Estate Selection Vintage as well but I'm going to have to steer clear of that man o war.....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nice reviews! I like the Gurkha Estate Selection Vintage as well but I'm going to have to steer clear of that man o war.....
    Geez phobic, I hope it wasn't something I said...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like the M-O-W. Phobic, if you like the ESV, try the Royal Brigade and Legend. The legend is more earthy or "barnyard" as Kas was talking about, but the RB has a very strong dark chocolate/cocoa flavor.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Geez phobic, I hope it wasn't something I said...
    LOL, Eh, no but it didn't sound too good.. I've got enough on my want list...
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Thanks guys! Glad I wasn't the only one that didn't like the M-O-W. Phobic, if you like the ESV, try the Royal Brigade and Legend. The legend is more earthy or "barnyard" as Kas was talking about, but the RB has a very strong dark chocolate/cocoa flavor.
    Aw, the RB sounds right up my alley...