Home Cigar 101
Options

So I am new and have a humidor question

I have read and understand that I need to allow the $39.99 20 cigar humidor on this site to season for 4 days, but do I need to dip the humidifier that comes with it into distilled water as well, or do I only need to place the distlled water into the unit?

I have read nothing in the forum on this, and have been through several posts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Both - a shallow dish of distilled water and a charged humidor
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    no dont dip the humidor. try "seasoning" in search
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ah, I misunderstood your question - zeebra's right
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm going to try to clarify the previous answers for you.

What you want to do is 'charge' the humidifier that comes with the humi with distilled water, typically by dunking it (though I tend to rest the humidifier on the counter and pour water into it slowly so that it has time to fully absorb). You don't want to overload the humidifier; give it a few moments, and then attempt to shake off any loose water. You can then place this in your humi, along with a shallow dish of distilled water. If you have a calibrated digital hygrometer, you should put this in there as well. Then leave it sitting, unopened (the more you open it, the longer it takes) for at least 3 days. If you have a hygrometer, and can see that it's holding steady at 70% humidity after 3 days, you're done - if it's not, continue to let it sit. If you do not have a hygrometer, I recommend getting one, but as far as seasoning goes I would let the humidor season for at least a week - the additional time will not hurt it, and will best assure you a solid seasoning.

Welcome to the forums!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Thank you all for the info! I appreciate the help!