Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

1,000 Post Contest- Guess the Market- WE HAVE A WINNER

1,000 posts sure can pass by quickly and it's been an awesome journey thus far. To celebrate, I am hosting a contest.

The contest is whoever makes the closest guess of where the Dow Jones Industrial Average is at on the day I reach my 1,000th post wins.

But wait, there's more! The winner gets the chance to win some bonus prizes by guessing the following correctly: The closing price of Amazon.com (AMZN), BP (BP), and exchange rate of the USD to the Hong Kong Dollar. Why these things? I like buying stuff from Amazon, I have a desire to see BP's share price plummet even more, and Hong Kong is where I'm from.

Rules:
Edit: Deadline for guesses is Friday, 06/25.

Open to anyone on the Good Trader List.

All numbers will be verified on Google Finance.

All numbers are as of the closing price on the day of my 1,000th post. Exception is the exchange rate, which will be the last quoted rate by Google Finance on that calendar day.

Edit: Please include answers to the bonus question on your post.

Only the winner is eligible to play the bonus game. Each correct bonus answer results in one bonus prize. Answers don't have to be correct sequentially.

Good luck.

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Ill guess the number of the Dow Jones when ur 100th post comes up....i got this..lol.. my guess is 10,302
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Oh boy ;) - u r talking to a former FOREX trader here ;).. I love stats and the markets! I'm up for this - just gotta polish my charting software this weekend... Until then - slow down on the posting...
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    now THIS will be fun!
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Ill guess the number of the Dow Jones when ur 100th post comes up....i got this..lol.. my guess is 10,302
    Good point. I'll have to cut the game off around my 1,000th post or something. In the meantime, you have some answers for the bonus questions?
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    10556 dow; 126.25 Amazon; 1 HKD - 0.15 USD
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Dow 10178 Amazon 121 and 1 HKD will be 0.13 USD
  • Options
    yeah my bonus gueses are going to be 138.50 for Amazon...and HKD will be 0.17 USD
  • Options
    Bumping this. No one wants to play?
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    I think you should have a cut off of when we can post our guesses. Cause we will all wait to see the market closer to your post count and we will have a better advantage of the numbers to pick. So when you hit like 995 post count, I'll be posting my answers...

Trust me Tony.....everyone loves free cigars! = )

I'm waiting like the others bro! (until you put a date)
  • Options
    zeebra:
    sightunseen:
    I think you should have a cut off of when we can post our guesses. Cause we will all wait to see the market closer to your post count and we will have a better advantage of the numbers to pick. So when you hit like 995 post count, I'll be posting my answers...

Trust me Tony.....everyone loves free cigars! = )

I'm waiting like the others bro! (until you put a date)
    Great point. Ok, deadline for guesses is this Friday. Very naive of me to underestimate the power of free cigars.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    You shoulda also made a contest out of something simple... Not something I'd have to spend all night googling in order to come up with a decent guess! :-P
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    You shoulda also made a contest out of something simple... Not something I'd have to spend all night googling in order to come up with a decent guess! :-P

But this is simple. Well its a lot simpler than people listing 15 asceroteric tidbits about themselves you are supposed to guess.
  • Options
    Just a reminder that I have modified the rules: Deadline for entries is this Friday 06/25, so get them in while you can.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Dow 10,138; Amazon 121.89; and .12 USD - 1 HKD
  • Options
    Dow 10350, Amazon @ 123.23 BP @ 29.01 and 1 HK = .13 USD
  • Options
    I have to admit...i think Sirfost will have this in the bag depending on how the market does tommorrow..cuz i mean....dam...if it ended today he would be hella close on all them
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    BP=27.95, AMZN=116.35, DOW=10050.7, and the conversion rate from Hong Kong to US dollar is going to be....0.12855 to 1. good luck everyone!
  • Options
    bige1371bige1371 Posts: 196
    Dow 10,273.62 Amzn 119.18 Bp 27.05 hkd to usd 0.13
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    I have to admit...i think Sirfost will have this in the bag depending on how the market does tommorrow..cuz i mean....dam...if it ended today he would be hella close on all them
    Why ya gotta go and jinx me Joe! ; )
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Dow - 10165 closing... Amazon Price - $118, BP price - $26.80, and exchange rate will be USD/HKD = 7.77, which means 7.77HKD for $1... Cheers! I like this game...
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    dow = 10073 amazon = $121 BP = $27.01 exchange = 7.78
  • Options
    I hope you dont hit 1000 till Monday. :)
  • Options
    Can I change my DOW guess please lol jk. Dang i certainly have no hopes of winning this
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Goldy:
    instructions said guesses were closed today????
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    Goldy:
    Yes, I should clarify that you have until the end of today to submit guesses- I apologize if my original instructions were confusing. I'll generous and say that I will take guesses until midnight PST.

The winner will be determined based on how the market does on the day I hit my 1,000th post.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Dow: 10,163; Amazon: 125.30; BP: 22.53; USD/HKD: 7.79
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    Goldy:

Ya, i am just thinking there are a lot of people hoping Mr. Sight posts 5 more times on this weekend which would make Fridays DOW the number to guess. Its alot easier to guess todays close when there are only a few hours left compared to the guys who guessed last week. I'm hoping for a huge monday rally and for Sight to lose internet connection for the weekend. :) Goodluck to all!
  • Options
    wow....dam the market took a dump lol...i so re change my has please lol...jk..
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    still sitting on 999
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Fourtotheflush:
    still sitting on 999
    seriously lol I don't have a chance anymore