Home Cigar 101
Options

Calibrating Hygrometer

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
I am a new cigar smoker and have never calibrated a hygrometer before. After reading much about hygrometers I purchased an electronic hygrometer.

In doing the salt test after 24 hours it reads 72%. Could it be that far off or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    The salt test results in an RH of 75%, so your hygro isn't too far off. You can also try a Boveda calibration pack if you want to be 100% sure.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off welcome husker. I went with the boveda calibration kit it worked perfect. After a day it was right on 75%. IMO it's easier to use this method but to each his own. I bought mine for about $4 on amazon.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Husker44:
    I am a new cigar smoker and have never calibrated a hygrometer before. After reading much about hygrometers I purchased an electronic hygrometer. In doing the salt test after 24 hours it reads 72%. Could it be that far off or am I doing something wrong?
    as long as your salt is a paste you should be fine. your hygro is actually not as far oof as mine is. mine is low by 4. i took a bit of tape and wrote "-4" on it so i know that it is 4 lower than it should be.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    boveda here and worked perfectly