Home Cigar 101
Options

How often to recharge humidifier?

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
Granted my calibration may not be perfect..

I seasoned the humidor for about 2-3 days with a shallow bowl of distilled water. Since taking the bowl out and putting in about 20 sticks, the humidity has dropped by about 5%.

Do I recharge the humidifier already or is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    What % did they drop to? If it's around 70%, you're fine
  • Options
    babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    I'd also wonder what it dropped to. If the humidifier is charged and the humidity keeps dropping, it may be that the cedar inside the humidor hasn't absorbed enough moisture yet. It may require leaving the bowl of distilled water in for a few more days or wiping the inside with a damp sponge. I don't personally recommend this--I used a little travel spray bottle filled with distilled water. A few spritzes on the inside, kept the cigars out for 4 or 5 days, and it was fine. Everybody has their own preference about how to set up their humi, you just have to go with what you're comfortable with. The important thing is to be patient (I know, it's not easy).
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    I think it was a case of an analog hygrometer. Huge difference in the readings I get with the calibrated electronic hygrometer.

The electronic reads about 76% today. It was high last night but I think that was because of where I had it placed. I placed it on the tray but when the lid was closed it was beneath the humidifier in the lid