Home Cigar 101

Cigar is "belling out" a bit at the end

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
I put my cigars in a tupperware container until my humidor is ready.

Now one r two of them has started to "bell out" a bit at the clipped end, meaning thevery tip of the cigar is slightly wider in diameter than the rest of the cigar. Is this indicitave of an environmental issue that needs to be addressed? I'm pretty sure they weren't like that before.

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Your humidity is too high, causing the foot to swell. What are you using for a humidifyer and hygrometer?
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Your humidity is too high, causing the foot to swell. What are you using for a humidifyer and hygrometer?

Also, examine them for wrapper / binder damage at the foot, I've had the belling issue in the past, thought my hygro was shot, only to find out the sticks had got a little worn at the foot over time, the binder is what holds the filler togther, if you cut / split it the filler will start to 'burst' out.

But don't disregard cabi's advise!!! Check you hygro too!!!!

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    i had it in a humidor that had too much humidity. then in tupperware. now I took it all out and put the sticks in a bag
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about this. Good advice so far. Funny though how we all put our cigars in a humi and make sure they rest in a perfect environment and still have problems. Though my friend's GF had a 5 vegas A I gave her for her birthday while I was smoking a cigar and I had nothing but burn issues though hers burnt very well. She had it out in the kitchen since march! Strange aye..?
  • Cigar-20007197Cigar-20007197 Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    Similar issue ... a couple of my newly purchased cigars look / feel normal. When foot is toasted, the foot swells and wrapper cracks.
    Too much humidity?
  • Cigar-20028955Cigar-20028955 Posts: 1
    @Cigar-20007197 That happens when the binder/filler and wrapper arent evenly humidified, the filler and binder expand due to the heat and cause the wrapper to burst. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also normally indicates too much humidity meaning there is too much wetness in the tobacco, it turns to steam and swells and cracks and also heats up the smoke and tastes hot and a bit acrid on the tongue too. Dry boxing a stick like that for a few hours before smoking typically fixes that. Personally I keep all of my coolers and wineador etc at 63-65% rH and I don’t run into those issues. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."