Home General Discussion
Options

Newbie here

Hi all,

I just joined here today, and thought I would post a bit about myself.

First, I am in the US Navy, and have very little experience with cigars.  I have enjoyed a few in the past, usually when folks have offered up one at a get together.  I don't recall exactly what I have smoked, but for the most part I have enjoyed what I have had.

Today I stopped at a local Tobacconist here in San Diego, and picked up a small 10 cigar humidor and 6 cigars.  I'm not sure if what I bought is any good... (like I said, I'm new).  I purchased the following today... tell me if I did ok or not :P

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial
Isla del Sol
Edge Toro Maduro
Eureka Lazarus  (smoked this today it was a bit bitter)
JM's Dominican

My goal is to learn more and get a more solid idea on what are the better cigars and discover my favorites along the way.

One of my hobbies is woodworking, so when I get to my next duty station in Virginia in the next month and a half, I will most likely start on building my own humidor.

If you have any advice for the budding cigar aficionado I would appreciate it.  I'm sure I will enjoy the community here.

Comments

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome! Thanks for your service! Great forum and great bunch of Brothers Of The Leaf (BOTL). Just search around and you'll find some good info! Where in VA are you getting stationed?
  • Options
    interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    going to Dahlgren, VA... up in the northern neck just south of the Maryland border.  I'll be spending a bit of time with my family in North Carolina before I head up that way though.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to the group, I see 3 sticks on your list that i like. It is all personal preference when it comes to sticks.
  • Options
    so which one would you recommend i smoke tonight?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Hey, man. Always good to see more military on here, even if you're Navy (Army grunt here). Cigar smoking is all just personal preference. If you're trying to try everything out like I am (been smoking for a few weeks now), I suggest getting a bigger humidor. If you plan on only smoking during special occasions, a 10 to 50 count humidor is good. Again, welcome. This forum is rich with information and hospitable brothers of the leaf.
  • Options
    thanks for all the welcomes.

I bought the small humidor today, just to have something.  I will probably do a lot of research into the humidor I want to build over the next month and a half, and hopefully by September, I'll have it stocked up with a few.  I'm thinking I will build something that I can fit 100-150 cigars in... I probably will smoke 1-2 a week, but, I like to have options when it comes to anything LOL.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    If you're thinking of getting a humidor that actually holds 100 to 150 cigars, I suggest getting a 200 count. It's horrendously difficult to actually get the advertised amount of cigars in the humidor. In any case, I would probably suggest you start with mild cigars. 5 Vegas Gold will never steer you wrong.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Welcome! Let me know how the humidor build goes. I've been thinking about building one myself. Let us know how the smokes are?
  • Options
    I'm thinking of building something along the lines of this

• Options
    Just finished smoking the

RP Edge Toro Maduro  It was excellent, a nice smooth smoke.  I'll have to get this one again.
  • Options
    The Isla Del Sol is a infused cigar...Its actually the only infused cigar that I enjoy, very strong chocolate/espresso flavor...very sweet on the lips and palate...
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Wow that would be an awesome build. Glad to hear the smoke went well too.