Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tornado weekend with Pics!

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Wanna see what a EF4 twister looks like?

My inlaws were pretty lucky and only had minor damage to the roof and lost a few trees. Their next door neighbor was not so lucky...

This twister moved on twards farm lands after hitting the town and scored a few direct hits including these next houses. The first was actually moved off the foundation with the family in the basement. I cant imagine seeing my house move just over my head. They had some horses that were found over 1 mile away on another farm DOA.

Most of our time was spent trying to clear out debris from my wifes aunts corn and bean field which is now a 700+ acre dirt field. The boards and clothing that littered this field came from the house in this image. The white thing in the middle of this photo is their fridge, its also just about the only thing left... We found a stove door, a check from 2000, a horse shoe, a bra, and a rotary hoe blade. This storm also picked up a 21,000 gallon fertalizer tank and put it in the middle of a corn field (did not roll). That tank was the size of a small submarine and traveled over half a mile. There were also a bunch of 1000gal propane tanks strewn across the fields and many are still missing.

Anyway, it was a hell of a weekend filled with nails, boards, the red cross, salvation army, jail inmates, mormans, and stunned farmers. One family bought a pop-up camper that day and was planning to get it insured the next day only to have it hit by a twister and totaled. Bummer.

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    dam...its crazy how much damage wind can do when twisting in a circle lol
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just more proof of one of my personal beliefs - Mother Nature is a cruel, evil, and often vindictive beeotch!!!

Im glad you're people are OK Goldy. Now no more drama for you for a while for you my friend, huh? Some nice quiet time in the woods for work has gotta be sounding pretty good right about now! :-D

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Seems everyone is ok right? While losing your house, car, etc...those things can be replaced. If one good thing that can come of this is, it really puts your priorties in the right order.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    just... WOW.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    One week later there was another tornado but luckily it missed town by about 10 miles.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    As a storm chaser I wish I was there, as a fellow BOTL I'm glad everything turned out ok for you.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Gods powers!
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I still remember that night the sky was a odd light greenish color here in the cities. We only got a little rain and some decent wind but you could tell it was gonna get evil at some point. Sorry to hear that it got that bad near your in-laws.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wow, that's crazy. As much as I make fun of Michigan for having crazy weather changes, we don't have many tornadoes, we don't have earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, mass floods or droughts. So maybe I need to quit complaining about our weird changes in weather.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I must have missed this when it was first posted...
    Goldy:
    Anyway, it was a hell of a weekend filled with nails, boards, the red cross, salvation army, jail inmates, mormans, and stunned farmers.
    LOL I seriously spit coffee!! Goldy, I put jail inmates and mormons side by side too when disasters roll around... Which would you rather deal with? ... inmates!!

On the brighter side, it's good to see that you are still well after almost getting a second hit!!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    WOW! Gods powers!
    +1
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The tornado from last year turned 200 yards from my house, and went around me. I sat on my back porch and watched all of the bad weather the last several weeks steer clear of me, thankfully. The wind did get strong enough at one point here for me to hit the basement pretty darn quick.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283