Home Non Cigar Related
Options

McChrystal vs Obama - "The Runaway General" article in Rolling Stone magazine

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
For anyone not up on this story, Gen. McChrystal has been recalled to D.C. because of a satirical article in Rolling Stone in which a journalist recorded McChrystal with his friends poking fun at the incompetence of several politicians in the current White House administration, their indecision, polticking, etc. There's talk that Obama may fire him for insubordination, but there's also talk that Obama won't wanna deal with the PR that'll result from the fallout.

EDIT - found the actual article - I guess Rolling Stone finally made it available online: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236

Comments

• Options
    So I just read the article - it seems that everything that may tick Obama off was said by McChrystal's inner circle when they were together and joking around. I really can't see how anyone can compare this to MacArthur, who openly criticized the President in the press and made a spectacle of himself. Here, it just seems McChrystal wasn't watching who was around with a pen and notebook when his pals and him were yucking it up.
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    I doubt Obama does anything about this. This is what we need right now. tough love and telling it how you feel. Obama has to deal with the gulf right now, and he doesnt want to deal with the war. And if you want to compare McChrystal to MacArthur, go to viginia and see MacArthurs resting place. the man was a legend, loved by the american people. so if McChrystal or his people make fun of lack luster leadership coming from a bunch of college boys,who never served, who cares? what the truth hurt?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    So I just read the article - it seems that everything that may tick Obama off was said by McChrystal's inner circle when they were together and joking around. I really can't see how anyone can compare this to MacArthur, who openly criticized the President in the press and made a spectacle of himself. Here, it just seems McChrystal wasn't watching who was around with a pen and notebook when his pals and him were yucking it up.
    lol, but it was a different time. I find it rather odd he would be dissing his boss's when he knew it would be published. Did he want a way out? Maybe. I think Obama might actually do something about this, we'll find out. I have to say though the way this war has transpired has made me mad. Sure we've killed or captured a crap load of taliban leaders and such but the fallout has been bad. Drones aren't the way to do this nor is a huge military buildup. I think Biden had it right, using anti-terror and special ops.
  • Options
    vegassparky:
    I doubt Obama does anything about this. This is what we need right now. tough love and telling it how you feel. Obama has to deal with the gulf right now, and he doesnt want to deal with the war. And if you want to compare McChrystal to MacArthur, go to viginia and see MacArthurs resting place. the man was a legend, loved by the american people. so if McChrystal or his people make fun of lack luster leadership coming from a bunch of college boys,who never served, who cares? what the truth hurt?
    I get it, but as a general you have to have more discipline than that. The same can be said of any type of commander or high enlisted. Going through the press to show your disagreements isn't the way of the uniform.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I agree with everything McChrystal said. But, the general deserves to be fired or should just resign over this.

There has been a lot of talk about what McChrystal was thinking when he allowed Rolling Stone that much access. I would argue that the general knew exactly what he was doing. I think that he wanted to air his grievances with the administration in the most public way possible before he hit the exit.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    jpclotfelter:
    I agree with everything McChrystal said. But, the general deserves to be fired or should just resign over this.

There has been a lot of talk about what McChrystal was thinking when he allowed Rolling Stone that much access. I would argue that the general knew exactly what he was doing. I think that he wanted to air his grievances with the administration in the most public way possible before he hit the exit.
    I thought the same thing. Bring the issues to the light then head out the back.

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Eh, Being active duty senior enlisted...there are veeeery specific rules regarding what you can and can not publicly say in regards to the president, chain of command, wars/conflicts that were involved in. You wouldnt believe how much our speech is sanitized. I have strong opinions on some issues and i'll only share them with my wife or fellow senior enlisted...there are some opinions i wont even voice on here. Come to think of it i actually did cross the line once in here. Regardless, Even if he was speaking to his friends he should have been aware that reporters, or anyone other than his audience was within earshot, that opsec 101. Since this blew up and hit mainstream press, he'll probably be held accountable, and should be. It shows the people under him that he does not respect and support the decisions of those above him in hi chain of command. Thats a cancer that will destroy and demoralize the lower COC in a heartbeat. There is a time and place to voice every opinion and concern, he choose poorly on both fronts.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Eh, Being active duty senior enlisted...there are veeeery specific rules regarding what you can and can not publicly say in regards to the president, chain of command, wars/conflicts that were involved in. You wouldnt believe how much our speech is sanitized. I have strong opinions on some issues and i'll only share them with my wife or fellow senior enlisted...there are some opinions i wont even voice on here. Come to think of it i actually did cross the line once in here. Regardless, Even if he was speaking to his friends he should have been aware that reporters, or anyone other than his audience was within earshot, that opsec 101. Since this blew up and hit mainstream press, he'll probably be held accountable, and should be. It shows the people under him that he does not respect and support the decisions of those above him in hi chain of command. Thats a cancer that will destroy and demoralize the lower COC in a heartbeat. There is a time and place to voice every opinion and concern, he choose poorly on both fronts.
    Tell me about it. I always hate it when senior officials were around, we had to prep for it, do practice stuff, then we have to act like we all agree and even if we hate them we can't say crap. You know I was thinking about this today and I have to say, I hope (though I doubt it) that he is made an example of. I mean look at those privates that got put in prison over those pictures that leaked at gitmo but did their CO get locked up, no. The fault always lies with the command, not the lower ranks. So I am hoping that this general gets court marshelled and stripped of any benifits and pay. I mean this isn't the first time he's F'd up. He tried to cover up the shooting death of a ex football star turned ranger who was killed by friendly fire, and signed away a false silver star award, then got promoted a few days after this guys death. Then he tried to cover up the leaks of looting and destruction of an area in Iraq. Not to mention the crap he pulled with the rules of engagement. This guy is a loose cannon.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    You have to admit, though, that if you've ever worked anywhere with a chain (especially the military), that your higher ups will ALWAYS have some ideas that make absolutely no sense whatsoever or some that you don't agree with. I've been stuck doing what I believed was BS work many times because someone in my chain in command couldn't make up their mind or ordered that my unit do something completely retarded.

It's the same as anywhere else. No one here that's ever worked under another person will ever say that they've been pissed off or pissed on by their boss. And guess what? The president (whether we think he's a $hitbag or a saint) is his boss.

Don't get me wrong though, all I'm saying is it's understandable. However, all military service members are taught that they are never to voice their personal political opinion in uniform (ESPECIALLY not in public or in front of media). He should have been more careful because now, he's getting a lot of publicity and his statements may affect the morale of a lot of soldiers. When you put it in perspective, it's just a guy complaining about his boss (like the rest of us sometimes). Only thing is, he did it in the wrong place, wrong time, and wrong uniform.
  • Options
    Mr. Hwang, I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The General knew exactly what he was doing, he was looking for a quick way out. The ROE these guys are trying to live to make this conflict impossible to win. He wanted out!
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Lol, how do you get out of a job you can't quit?
    Dude was a genius.

• Options
    Fla-Gypsy and stephen are probably right, he wanted out and this article was an easy ticket to leave without looking bad. The article said McChrystal was a brilliant guy, I'd say this confirms it
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Fla-Gypsy and stephen are probably right, he wanted out and this article was an easy ticket to leave without looking bad. The article said McChrystal was a brilliant guy, I'd say this confirms it
    +1
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    +1
    i heard a conspiracy theory.

the theory is that someone high up in the pentagon and under Obama's direct command, had to approve the reporter being there. knowing that McChrystal was a talker he would get something that would allow a scene to be caused to take attention away from a host of other issues that are causing controversy in the white house. these issues may/may not include:
    the oil spill
    supreme court appointments
    cap-and-trade
    the negatives that are coming out about the health care bill
    the Economy stagnation
    Unemployment sticking around 10%

i have a hard time believing this though.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    fla-gypsy:
    The General knew exactly what he was doing, he was looking for a quick way out. The ROE these guys are trying to live to make this conflict impossible to win. He wanted out!
    All the posts Ive read here seem to fall into one of two categories - 1) either it was an accident & he didnt know somehow that it would be printed, or 2) he did it on purpose to get "a way out". Here's a kooky idea...

He knew what he was doing, and he did it with a more noble purpose.

If the good General was facing policies & restrictions that made accomplishing his mission impossible, or was going to end up costing the country exponentially more than it should have (either in $$$'s or US servicemen's lives), and there was no way he could fix the problem within the chain of command (which the quotes in his article seemed to indicate to me)... well, whats the solution?

I think perhaps the General believed the answer was to put the whole situation under the magnifying glass in as loud a manner as possible. He knew his @ss was going to be in a sling, but perhaps he thought the attention this would garner from the American public would force the powers-that-be to make changes in policy & support military strategy that they were otherwise unwilling to - unless political heat was brought to bear against them.

I think that perhaps our good General looked at the problem he was facing from all angles & decided that the what the action would cost, up to and including the end of his career, was worth the benefit in lives perserved and / or dollars saved. What are 4 shiny stars on a man's shoulder versus avoiding the thousands of deaths and casualties we suffered in Iraq happening again in Afghanistan due to political blundering?

You dont attain the rank this man held by being stupid by any definition. He knew what he was doing, and he knew the cost. He had to have a reason.

If Im right about what that reason was, this man is a hero, pure & simple.