Home Cigar 101

Recommend me some hard liquor to go with a cigar

124»

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    shamrocked:
    Stopped reading through the posts about half way through but I'm surprised for rum that no one has mentioned Zaya. By far my favorite rum at the moment. You can really taste the sugar cane. For bourbons I'm loving bulleit at the moment for more of a budget bourbon and angel's envy for a pricier bourbon.
    Zaya is absolutely fantastic if you're not making a mixed drink. If you take your drinks neat or on the rocks, it's pretty much the tops.
    Yeah Don't ruin Zaya with cola.. Sip it on the rocks.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I run into the same issues too. For me I have no places to try scotch or whiskeys. I have to go off reviews and in some cases find people with similar tastes. I want to really give Rob props here, he has led me to many liquors I have really enjoyed. Scotch is really the only one who I am getting into. It's fun to find the good ones, however it can get really expensive unless you really do research or actually try samples.
    Thanks for the props bud. When it comes to alcohol, I pretty much drink it all. I started on the hard alcohol end of the spectrum and worked my way back through red wine, beer and finally white wine and champagne.

As for Rum, Squirrel nailed some of my favs. Ron Zacapa XO if you want a slightly dry, big, complex rum. It's the cognac drinker's rum. The Plantation 20th is pure, sweet rum. Still has a cognac finish, but not as long so the finish isn't as dry. Zacapa 23 and Zaya are great for the money as well. I've tried so many rums and these still stick to the top. For the Irish Whiskey drinkers: try El Dorado 15 year. It has a slightly grassy note, similar to Irish Whiskey. The 12 is also good but incredibly sweet.

Stouts, especially barrel aged stouts, tend to pair really nicely with spicy cigars or those loaded with cocoa. I'd pair them with most maduros, especially Dominican or Nicaraguan.

I find Honduran tobacco tends to pair well with Scotch, due to its earthy, leathery nature. If you don't do the really peaty scotches, try something from the Highlands, Speyside (part of the Highlands) or Lowlands. I just picked up a Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask (Rum finished), Glenmorangie Sonnalta (Pedro Ximenez finished) and an Auchentoshan 1999 (Bordeaux Wine finished). All distinctly different, but all very good.

Anyone with any booze questions, feel free to ask.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    what are your thoughts on the Caribbean Cask. I liked it but it was totally different than anything out there.

do you have any sticks you can recommend with any Islay malts. My Islay favorites are Laphroiag Quarter Cask, Ardbeg Correyvrecken, and Lagavulin 16. I was thinking a Ruination????
    I like the Caribbean. It's medium bodied with some distinctive sugar cane, caramel and plum sweetness from the Rum with almost no smoke and a bit of grain. I really like the style. I've had the Glenlivet 21 year Rum cask finish and I'd take the Balvenie over it, just based on price.

Islays are tough since that peat smoke is so dominant. They can have very overpowering flavors, so you want something big that's going to stand up to them. I'd say a Ruination should be able to put up a good fight but the Padron 26 is actually a really nice pair. The 64 is a bit softer and tends to be drowned out by the smokiness of the Islays but pairs well with most other regions and styles. Try to pick something assertive with some pepper, spice and rich leather or cocoa notes.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    http://www.totalwine.com/ This place kicks Bevmo's butt on price.Hopefully there is one near you.Better selection as well.Rows and rows of liquor.Rum,Vodka,Tequila,Single Malt Scotch.You name it.I spend an hour there each time I go.Half an hour to decide Scotch,Tequila,Bourbon or an occasional Pendleton Canadian whisky.And another half an hour to pick a bottle.Thousands of wines and plenty of crafted beers to choose from.Oh,and they have a small humidor too.Basic smokes.But on the fly it will work.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    JudoChinX:
    shamrocked:
    Stopped reading through the posts about half way through but I'm surprised for rum that no one has mentioned Zaya. By far my favorite rum at the moment. You can really taste the sugar cane. For bourbons I'm loving bulleit at the moment for more of a budget bourbon and angel's envy for a pricier bourbon.
    Zaya is absolutely fantastic if you're not making a mixed drink. If you take your drinks neat or on the rocks, it's pretty much the tops.
    Yeah Don't ruin Zaya with cola.. Sip it on the rocks.
    I've tried Zaya as well and was very impressed. Other great rum recommendations are Abuelo and Diplomatico. Since it's getting cooler I've been leaning toward single malt Highland and Islay region scotches.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    crzydimnd68:
    http://www.totalwine.com/ This place kicks Bevmo's butt on price.Hopefully there is one near you.Better selection as well.Rows and rows of liquor.Rum,Vodka,Tequila,Single Malt Scotch.You name it.I spend an hour there each time I go.Half an hour to decide Scotch,Tequila,Bourbon or an occasional Pendleton Canadian whisky.And another half an hour to pick a bottle.Thousands of wines and plenty of crafted beers to choose from.Oh,and they have a small humidor too.Basic smokes.But on the fly it will work.
    +1 on Total Wine and More. The awesomest!
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned it at all, with all the scotch drinkers out there, but has anyone tried aberlour? I really love that stuff. Just a touch of water or ice to open it up. Really a great scotch. It's on the milder side, but very delicious.
    Just recommended Abelour a'bunadh to a colleague in work and he loved it. Cask strength blended scotch that's not your run of the mill blend. Very complex and flavorful. Their 16 is also really nice.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump, good info
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Nola19Nola19 Posts: 1
    The Balvenie 12 year is an excellent scotch that goes good. I also like Johnny Walker Black with cigars that have the black pepper taste to it. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed this entire line. Worth well more than the price you pay.

http://www.ainsleybrae.com/
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Root beer?
    Oh wait, that's not hard liquor is it?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like a good root beer with muh gars.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bookers when on sale.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monkey Shoulder
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon. My favorite. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its 14% but dang is it good with a cigar!
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...TeKillYa....   1800...Jose....
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is my favorite scotch.
    I am a heathen however, and a splash of flavorless seltzer really opens up the nose and it seems to add to the enjoyment of smoking a cigar.

Cruzan Rum over ice or mixed is another good way to go. It is the cleanest tasting and crisp rum I have tried.