Home Cigar 101

Cigar Juice not working.. Help?

Hey guys, I'm using the Humi-care cigar juice in my little humi and I can't seem to get the RH any higher than 62%. My hygrometer was calabrated using the salt test and the seal on the humi seems ok so I don't get it. Could I be doing it wrong? I fill the humidifier with the juice and let it sit for a few min, then wipe off the excess and pop it in the humi. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    has your humidor been seasoned all the way. this sounds like the humidor is soaking up all the extra RH.

also if your hygrometer is analog then that may be the problem. analog hygros can go out very easily.
  • It is indeed analog. I'm going to order a digital right away. Also i'm fairly certian it is seasoned because it was doing fine a week ago with just distiller water. Thanks for the tip.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm just going to say it before someone else does... BEADS!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I would agree with Kuzi. Sounds to me like the wood of the Humi is soaking up the humidity. I would re-season the humi, because if this was a Hygrometer problem, and the RH was fine even thou you keep adding more moisture, then I'm thinking that hygrometer should have given different readings even if they weren't accurate. The only thing I can think of that would keep soaking up excess moisture would be the humi wood needs to be re-seasoned.

Once the humi is seasoned, then YES.... THE BEADS !! LOL The conservagel beads are much cheaper then the Heartfelt ones. FYI
  • Cool.. I'll have to make a temp. Humi and re-season. I have a new humi on the way cause I already filled my little one. I will def. go beads once I get everything straightened out. Thanks for the feedback guys!!!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I was having a issue a month ago with my humi not getting above 65% with the xikar fluid. I went back to using distilled water and came right back up to 70%...... Yeah I know....... beads.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i have never used anything but distilled water and have had no problems with keeping my humidity at 65-70%. i just dont see the need to buy expensive solutions when distilled water works so great. maybe im wrong but thats the way i feel.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    aron325:
    i have never used anything but distilled water and have had no problems with keeping my humidity at 65-70%. i just dont see the need to buy expensive solutions when distilled water works so great. maybe im wrong but thats the way i feel.
    as long as it works for you its all good.

another thought i just had about the 50/50 solution..

i may be wrong but i was under the impression that the 50/50 does not soak up extra humidity, but it will stop letting it off above 70%

anyone got more info that can prove/disprove that?