Home General Discussion
Options

Best Sampler Ever

This isn't a post about the greatest sampler in the world... this is my post to describe what I feel would make the best sampler ever.

Looking at the samplers offered on ccom, I am struck by what seems to be a permanent puzzle in constructing a sampler offering. How many of each stick should you put in a sampler? Some people (me) like to sample just one of a cigar, and will buy more based on that experience. Others like to carry two, perhaps for sharing or perhaps to give a stick two shots. Many on here have said they like to have 3 of a cigar (one to smoke right away, one in 6 months, and one in a year). Others like 4-of-a-kind or 5-of-a-kind... etc.

Here's my selfish solution to the above problem: Offer smaller samplers, and only 1 of each stick in the sampler. Am I shutting out the multi-stickers? Not at all.... you want three of each? BUY 3 SAMPLERS!! There. Done.

I don't smoke very often (2-3 times a week). I love trying a new cigar. Given a choice between a new cigar I've never tried, and one of my all-time favorites, I'll almost always choose a new cigar. I love ordering samplers just so that I can try new things, and hopefully enjoy a bit of a discount. The Custom Sampler doesn't do this for me, because I can't bring myself to sample a cheap stick off this fixed-price sampler. If the Custom Sampler offered a fixed-discount (say 20%) off the MSRP, I'd be snatching up custom samplers every month.

As it stands now, I have no interest in purchasing most of the samplers on ccom. I don't buy boxes (although I've considered buying a ccom Cuban Label box). I've never bought a sampler which features multiples of each stick, and I don't buy too many singles unless I can find them for a discount.

If ccom offered me the ability to buy, say, a dozen singles of my choice at a discount of 20% off MSRP, I'd place an order today. I want stuff that gets me in the ballpark of $3/stick and gives me stuff I haven't tried. Then, if I can pick up a half-dozen premium sticks at a 25% discount, I'd buy those as well. Mild discounts of 5-10% just don't do it for me. I considered getting a House Blends sampler, but I don't want a pile of robustos, I want to customize my shape based on the smoke (say a Torpedo for the Purple Label, but a Corona for the Corojo label... etc).

Am I too hard to deal with? There are samplers here that I am probbly going to pick up (Camacho Monarca, Nub Variety, Carlos Torano, Cusano, Padilla), but there are others I would definitely pick up if I could get them with single sticks (mild/medium/full-bodied samplers, DPG Sampler, AJ Fernandez, Toro Sampler, Sol Cubano, Partagas, Punch, etc....)

Am I being too high-maintenance? Should I just buy the samplers and ship all the dupes to people in games? As it stands right now I do most of my purchasing at the B&M, and if I find something I like I look for dirt-cheap auction fivers.

If I had my choice, ccom would get 90% of my business. But the fact is that I can't quite assemble what I want here. Should I call them up? I'm not a phone person. I don't even order pizza over the phone. Help me out. Alex, where are you!

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    One more thing and then I'm done ranting

Two things thus far have kept me thus far from pulling the trigger on several samplers listed above (Camacho, Torano, Cusano, Padilla). These are:

1. I already have or have had at least one of the sticks in the sampler (although I would love another 1962 Robusto)
    2. I'd rather try a sampler with many different brands, rather than all the brands offered by a single manufacturer.

OK.. there it is.. I've been thinking this for weeks, and I'm just about ready to place an order, and I just don't see what I want and I'm frustrated.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Hmmm, I'm not sure what to say but you make a lot of very good points.. I share many of these same feelings. I think CCOM has the right idea with their build your own sampler, but unfortunately, many of the sticks they give you to choose from are ones that I have already or tried in the past and the others that they offer don't interest me at all to tell you the truth.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    First off, you might want to hold off on that order until you receive the Boffo Birthday Sampler. I sent it 2nd day, so it shouldn't be long.

Second, if you'd posted this a bit sooner, the BBS would have been even boffoer; I'd have sent all singles.

Third, I don't think you're being unreasonable, necessarily, but I do think you're an unusual consumer. As you acknowledged, most people prefer to get multiples of a cigar. You know the old story about Willie Sutton: somebody asked him why he robbed banks, and he said, "Because that's where the money is." Retailers aim the product where the customers are. If most people like multiples, that's what the samplers feature.

All that said, I thought the ccom custom samplers wouldn't let you include more than one of a given cigar/size. Not so?
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    urbino:

All that said, I thought the ccom custom samplers wouldn't let you include more than one of a given cigar/size. Not so?
    True, but I think his point was that the custom sampler didn't fulfill his needs because many of the cigars on there are lower end smokes... In other words.... Even if we consider buying two samplers (24 cigars) and apply the 10% COTM discount the sticks are $3.75 each... What he's saying is, he may want to sample several of the ccom house blends or some of the other much cheaper smokes... Why put these in a sampler and pay $3.75 though when they could be bought as singles much cheaper...

In the same respect he's saying if he's buying singles, why can't he get a bit more of a discount for buying bulk...

Hence, he's suggesting a "choose your own sampler" that would be based on a discount.. In other words, you buy 24 single sticks and it just deducts 20% off the single stick price of all your selections... But you get the discount BECAUSE you're buying 24 sticks, not just 3 or 4...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Shirley's right... First off, I'm not in COTM, although I've toyed with the idea. The main reason I haven't joined is that right now I like to have a bit more control over what I'm sampling. Also, my ideal order would be somewhere in the 12-24 cigar range, just due to the frequency with which I smoke. Also, when something like the Custom Sampler is offered, I average it out as Shirley pointed out, but to me it's $60 for a dozen sticks, or $5/each.

I'm not going to add any cigar to the Custom Sampler that doesn't cost $5 or more by itself. I can't bring myself to do it. The percentage discount for buying in quantity (say 12, 15, 20 cigars... whatever) would motivate me immensely.

Urby, I understand that most customers like to buy in multiples. I generally only stock really nice cigars or favorites in multiples, because I like to share those with my friends. However, if a customer likes to buy things in pairs, he woudn't be interested in a sampler which has 3 of each. Vice versa for the customer who likes to buy things in 3's. If it's all smaller single-samplers, each of those customers can be satisfied. In fact, you could even offer a discount on multiple purchases of the same sampler.

Also, Urby, if there are multiples in the BBS, I'm actually going to be relieved, because if it was all singles I would have had to buy something nice to share with my father-in-law, who will be visiting in a few weeks. I'm going to wait for a nice deal to pop up on ccom before I place my next order.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'll pitch in here, I agree with a lot of what your saying, and that's partly because I really haven't bought any samplers at CCom.. Though some i have bought but I feel they were worth it for the price. The custom sampler is a good idea but like you all say, you can get single sticks cheaper. Though from going around pricing, CCcom does mark the price up a bit more and with the 10% your still paying a little more than other places. Though I guess you could say that the service is fantastic and you know the cigars will be terrific when you get them. I would be down for a custom sampler that had more high end sticks to select from, I mean to me that makes more since.
  • Options
    Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    that seems like a great idea. 3 bucks a stick is awesome i wish you could buy singels that cheap. wats wrong with singles though your saying you dont buy boxes so u only buy samplers that must super annoying