Home Non Cigar Related
Options

damn

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
car overheated last night. had to take it into the shop this morning. also had them look at the rubbing and squeeling noise from one of my wheels. total repair estimate? about $1080, new water pump, thermostat housing, serpentine belt, new radiator and a wheel bearing.

Comments

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    On the bright side, congrats on 400 posts...

seriously though, that sucks hard but its actually a pretty reasonable estimate for replacing all those parts.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Goldy:

ROTFL
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    surfingzeeko:
    Goldy:

ROTFL
    BTW, sorry to hear about your car. mine decides to take a dump on me on a monthly basis
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    had an 02 impala and started great with it. then the intake gasket cracked, then the muffler had a seam crack in the resonator, then the windshield wipers stopped working, then while trying to fix that the windshield got cracked, then the master console for my windows went out, then to top it all of had to get my brakes replaces. i freaking hated that car after i was done with it. cost me about $1500-$2000 to repair everything and it still wasnt fixed all the way. i feel your pain brother lol
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    cars suck...thats why its worth it even to buy a hyundai with a warranty...try doing some of the work urself or with friends and you will probably save 1000 bucks off that bill...also, go to pick n pull or a salvage yard and you will save a few hundred bucks to....thats what i didn...I had a 98 plymouth breeze...aka a dodge stratus lol....but had major engine problems..shop told me 1200 bucks for most of the stuff...I went to pick n pull with a mechanic inclined buddy, ordered a few parts online, and my dad helped do most of the work and I spent a total or 325 bucks...and one hards day of labor and it was like new....
  • Options
    oh and water pumps are the most simple thing in the world to install...seriously google it and u will be amazied at how simple..., thermostat housing just uses a few bolts and bam its on., serpentine belt is losening up ur idler bolt and slipping off old and putting new on... new radiator is just a few hose clamps being pulled off, new one installed and bam its easy...wheel bearing is a whole different story though lol
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Most new wheel bearings have to be pressed in. Shops usually send that out to a machine (tool&die) place themselves.

Had a buddy throw a serpentine belt 100 yards from the shop. They still charged him $50 for the tow...

• Options
    I feel your pain brother...I face the Acura dealership tomorrow morning for A/C problems in my 05 RL. I have already used a local shop to check the freon and they filled it..everything was fine. However, the compressor was kicking on and off when it wanted to..and now it still blows hot. No leaks. I'm dreading tomorrow.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    oh and water pumps are the most simple thing in the world to install...seriously google it and u will be amazied at how simple..., thermostat housing just uses a few bolts and bam its on., serpentine belt is losening up ur idler bolt and slipping off old and putting new on... new radiator is just a few hose clamps being pulled off, new one installed and bam its easy...wheel bearing is a whole different story though lol
    Water pumps aren't that simple on every car. On my old Audi it was run off the timing belt, had to take the whole front end of the car apart. A lot of front wheel drive cars are not easy to access either. Most aren't too tough though...
  • Options
    yeah I have a audi to and would never dream of working on it...its 06 a3...lol..but most gm vehicles and some **** cars arent to bad as long as u take ur time and just work ur way through it...we did it on my gfs highlander which wasnt bad at all...and on my step moms ford explorer. just takes time and patience and a book or google lol