Home General Discussion

In the shadows

I thought it might be interesting to know how many of us, due to spouse or some other reason, keep our purchases secret or at least don't fully disclose how much we spend or smoke.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I do. Just because I figure it's not the gf's business....lol
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I got busted the other day.
    I normally let me wifw know when I order, but I placed a fairly large order on payday and forgot my pay was going to be half what it normally is this week. So after telling her about the pay check she freaked out a little thinking we won't be able to pay the bills on time (we have enough for everything, she just freaks a little with money).
    So I decided not to tell her at about the order and I get a call the next day at work. "Ross did you order more cigars?" She was not a happy camper.

I do want to point out that I am married to one of the most amazing women alive. Not only does she not normally worry about my ordering, but she has suprised me a number of times with really nice sticks, hefer-dors, and a new Humi.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i do but i dont. she know that i always have cigars coming in but she never asks how much i paid for them. she doesnt care.
    the way we budgeted is that all our bills and savings get paid first, then we pay ourselves fun money. i get mine, she gets hers. what we do with our own money is our own business. i dont care how many shoes she buys with her money. she doesnt care how many cigars i get with mine.
  • I usually only make 1 purchase per month....When I do, I let the wife know. Now when I see a DD I cant resist, or sneak in a few extra purchases, then I just kind of order, and hope it comes in the mail when she is out and about running errands/at work!
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    rossdavey2:
    I got busted the other day.
    I normally let me wifw know when I order, but I placed a fairly large order on payday and forgot my pay was going to be half what it normally is this week. So after telling her about the pay check she freaked out a little thinking we won't be able to pay the bills on time (we have enough for everything, she just freaks a little with money).
    So I decided not to tell her at about the order and I get a call the next day at work. "Ross did you order more cigars?" She was not a happy camper.

I do want to point out that I am married to one of the most amazing women alive. Not only does she not normally worry about my ordering, but she has suprised me a number of times with really nice sticks, hefer-dors, and a new Humi.
    You are lucky mate. My gf would rip me a new one if she knew I bought as much as I do lol. Im supposed to be saving money for a move to AZ....lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I quit discussing my cigar purchases with the wifey but she can and does go to the online CC statement and look so there are no secrets. I am supposed to have a cigar budget but I rarely live to it.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    No secrets here. The wife is usually the instigator when it comes to buying cigars.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    lol....dam wifeys always up in our business lol...my gf, practicaly my wife of 5 years, lol, doesnt ask how much i spend on cigars...she knows i pay my bills, credit cards, and car down with money going to savings, I take her out once a week or so, then the rest is for my cigars...she has actualyl bought me a DD here and there...she was even going to buy me that 39 dollar gurkha Deal yesterday but I told her not to as i already have all of them...Im working on getting her to buy my a cabinet or kick in money for me to build a small 6x6 walk in humi in my garage that is A/C controlled and storage to the ceiling lol
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    No secrets here. The wife is usually the instigator when it comes to buying cigars.
    Dang Russ, you poor guy. :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i do but i dont. she know that i always have cigars coming in but she never asks how much i paid for them. she doesnt care.
    the way we budgeted is that all our bills and savings get paid first, then we pay ourselves fun money. i get mine, she gets hers. what we do with our own money is our own business. i dont care how many shoes she buys with her money. she doesnt care how many cigars i get with mine.
    lol, good idea. kinda how we work it though she doesn't really ask for much so sometimes I dip into more than I should. Though I have found that boxes are hard to hide, and after getting so many I get the look more than ever. It seems some people don't understand that cigars are made to age, and what happens when they age, oh I dunno they can't be found anymore so stocking up is almost needed.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    lol nice, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one sneaking it. I haven't even told my gf that I started smoking cigars LOL
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ThinBluLine06:
    I usually only make 1 purchase per month....When I do, I let the wife know. Now when I see a DD I cant resist, or sneak in a few extra purchases, then I just kind of order, and hope it comes in the mail when she is out and about running errands/at work!
    I've tried and really try to do one purchase a month, though I missed out last month but these damn deals, Kelly's deal today, kill me.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    dang surfing...you might want to tell her lol...I know my gf's whole family is against smoking in general...as in cigars including...so her mom harrases me on a daily routine...even my gf is not to fond of it...but I do stuff like work out daily, I stated eating really good, taking vitamins, oh and teh big one, just dont tell her I smoke at least one premium cigar daily lol... I dont lie, I just dont tell her if she doesnt ask lol
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    My wife encourages me to buy cigars I want, until I give her grief over a purchase of hers. Fairs fair I guess!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm very lucky. Since my wife has started to smoke cigars with me, I have someone to share my hobby with and she usually instigates cigar purchases now.

I do seem to be going through cigars twice as fast now, hmmmmm.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    It's funny my budget for other stuff has been taken over by cigars.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The only time I get the hairy eyeball is when another humidor shows up.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    bigharpoon:
    The only time I get the hairy eyeball is when another humidor shows up.
    Same boat...my wife is generally pretty good about my spending (mostly because I try to buy cigars with gift money or work bonuses) but when I told her yesterday I wanted to get a new humidor, she just about bit my head off! What is it about a new humidor that leads to fits of rage?!