Options

Cuban Cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    Save your money. 50% of Cuban Cigars dont draw and 95% of them arent made with properly fermented tobacco.
    i agree with the first statement 100%. the construction is very hit or miss, and if im payin a few bills for a box of fine cigars, they ALL better be spot on with construction

the second one.... iduno

i have yet to have that problem.

this may be due to the fact that i have never smoked a CC that wasnt in the humidor for at least 2 years.

As a freqeunt smoker of Cuban cigars I will say that I rarely have construction issues, the brands I smoke are Cohiba, Trinidad, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Hoyo, San Cristobal, Ramon Allones, in fact the only construction issues I have ever had have been with Monte's and too that no reputable dealer will ever question or not replace a single or a box if you have a problem with them. As for not properly fermented tobacco I am no expert on this but 95% just seems way out there. I have smoked a lot of non Cuban as well as Cuban and both are wonderful, sometimes I just have to have a Cuban and nothing else will do and sometimes I just need a non Cuban and nothing else will do.......
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    Save your money. 50% of Cuban Cigars dont draw and 95% of them arent made with properly fermented tobacco.
    i agree with the first statement 100%. the construction is very hit or miss, and if im payin a few bills for a box of fine cigars, they ALL better be spot on with construction

the second one.... iduno

this may be due to the fact that i have never smoked a CC that wasnt in the humidor for at least 2 years.

As a freqeunt smoker of Cuban cigars I will say that I rarely have construction issues, the brands I smoke are Cohiba, Trinidad, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Hoyo, San Cristobal, Ramon Allones, in fact the only construction issues I have ever had have been with Monte's and too that no reputable dealer will ever question or not replace a single or a box if you have a problem with them. As for not properly fermented tobacco I am no expert on this but 95% just seems way out there. I have smoked a lot of non Cuban as well as Cuban and both are wonderful, sometimes I just have to have a Cuban and nothing else will do and sometimes I just need a non Cuban and nothing else will do.......
    its not that they are 100% plugged its that they draw tight. they will still draw, but not the way i would expect.

i have also seen them unravel even when cut correctly. and that is frustrating to no end.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Diamondog:
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:

the second one.... iduno

its not that they are 100% plugged its that they draw tight. they will still draw, but not the way i would expect.

i have also seen them unravel even when cut correctly. and that is frustrating to no end.
    I hear you on the cutting but that can happen with any cigar really, I have smoked countless cubans and far and few inbetween with any construction issues including draw, it happens with all cigars and I can understand it being more of a p1ss off with the more expensive/hyped Cubans, but being somewhere where I can buy and enjoy both I just have not seen anything to warrant such critical review...but as they say each to their own lol
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Alex Svenson:
    Alex, while I have the utmost respect for you and ccom, I gotta think that I have been the luckiest s.o.b. with Cuban cigars that exists, because I very much dissagree with your impression of Cuban Cigars. I have close to 70 Cuban cigars in my humidor, and I've smoked that many or more in the past year. A couple were plugged or had a tight draw, and that's it! To be honest, I've also had the same problem with cigars from ccom. I don't see any real difference in construction issues....it happens from every place I've ever purchased cigars, just not often. As for the fermentation of the tobacco, well, I can't tell so either I like unfermented tobacco, or ...well.....I guess there is no "or".

Maybe on your next trip to Canada I can guift you an H. Upman Magnum 50, or San Cristobal, or one of my Cohiba and you might change your mind?

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have friends that swear by them. I recently saw a video showing their precesses in cigar making and fermenting and they broke my heart. I don't want to say what I saw but I I spoke to several of the people that used to work in the factories that left and they confirmed my suspicions. It broke my heart. If you guys like them I say go for it, I just pass.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Alex Svenson:
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have friends that swear by them. I recently saw a video showing their precesses in cigar making and fermenting and they broke my heart. I don't want to say what I saw but I I spoke to several of the people that used to work in the factories that left and they confirmed my suspicions. It broke my heart. If you guys like them I say go for it, I just pass.
    I imagine a lot of quality control issues come from the Governmental involvement. Sucks.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    it's the same for all cigars really. I had an Oliva Serie V Maduro the other night and it had tar bubbles that led to a poor draw. I have experienced the same problem with a God of Fire Carlos. I have had Cubans that have had problems as well like the Cuaba Exclusivos that had wrapper issues, not to mention they didn't taste very good. Anything that is hand made from natural product is bound to have some sort flaw somewhere sometime.
    with that said, if there were a list of what sticks I could only smoke for the rest of my life, most the sticks are not from Cuba. The San Cristobal de la Habana is my new favorite but it still gets beat by the Anejo77 and is as good to me as a Padilla Habano or Cain Habano.
    in my review of the San Cristobal de la Habana, you can read where I state that "this cigar lives up to the hype of the region it is from", and that's truly how I feel. Not all Cuban sticks will though. I think a Diesel is just as enjoyable as any Cuban i've had.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    it's the same for all cigars really. I had an Oliva Serie V Maduro the other night and it had tar bubbles that led to a poor draw. I have experienced the same problem with a God of Fire Carlos. I have had Cubans that have had problems as well like the Cuaba Exclusivos that had wrapper issues, not to mention they didn't taste very good. Anything that is hand made from natural product is bound to have some sort flaw somewhere sometime.
    with that said, if there were a list of what sticks I could only smoke for the rest of my life, most the sticks are not from Cuba. The San Cristobal de la Habana is my new favorite but it still gets beat by the Anejo77 and is as good to me as a Padilla Habano or Cain Habano.
    in my review of the San Cristobal de la Habana, you can read where I state that "this cigar lives up to the hype of the region it is from", and that's truly how I feel. Not all Cuban sticks will though. I think a Diesel is just as enjoyable as any Cuban i've had.
    Have you had a Cohiba Maduro 5? Very nice Maduro, I am partial to the Genios...what are your thoughts on the Cohiba Black?
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Have you had a Cohiba Maduro 5? Very nice Maduro, I am partial to the Genios...what are your thoughts on the Cohiba Black?
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    the Cohiba Black was pretty good. It had a pretty different flavor from a lot of maduros I have smoked. It had a core that I can only describe as "solid and earthy" but that's what I picked up. I enjoyed it greatly but as an example of ISOM maduro vs. non ISOM, I like the Camacho Triple Maduro better than the Cohiba. I think that a good cigar can come from anywhere.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    the Cohiba Black was pretty good. It had a pretty different flavor from a lot of maduros I have smoked. It had a core that I can only describe as "solid and earthy" but that's what I picked up. I enjoyed it greatly but as an example of ISOM maduro vs. non ISOM, I like the Camacho Triple Maduro better than the Cohiba. I think that a good cigar can come from anywhere.
    Im thinkin I'll be ordering some CTM soon been dying to try but looks like they are out of stock here....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    dennisking:
    Im thinkin I'll be ordering some CTM soon been dying to try but looks like they are out of stock here....
    Hold that thought until we do our trade, I'll throw a couple Triple Maduros in there for you.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Diamondog:
    dennisking:
    Hold that thought until we do our trade, I'll throw a couple Triple Maduros in there for you.
    Too kind sir, you will find a litte extra from the forbidden land for that! lol
  • Options
    tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    Don't forget, spending money on any Cuban goods is illegal for a US citizen, no matter where in the world you are. On that note, have fun, and whatever you smoke, best of luck, I'm jealous :-D
  • Options
    here's a neat site some may enjoy the reference material
    Click Me