Home General Discussion
Options

Newbie finds a favorite

Hi everybody. I'm a VERY new smoker having picked up the hobby while in Mexico on my honeymoon last month. I've bought a 100ct humidor, got it seasoned and have begun filling it with odds and ends sticks of wildly varying brand/taste/size/quality and I'm beginning to hone in on a couple I like very much. For a cheap stick, I gotta say, the Henry Clay ain't bad! Rich, nutty flavor with mild spice and works into a sweet dare I say "smokey" flavor half way through. It did finish off a little bitter for me but overall for about $5 a pop, not bad at all. But my new temporary favorite is the Tatuaje Brown Label in the Noella length. I must confess the first few draws literally made me cough and gag a little. haha. But I'm certain this is because the cigars I'd smoked previous to this were FAR milder and demanded a full draw to get enough flavor for my liking. After coming to terms with the boldness (second or third puff), I found it to be a delicious, complex cigar that while I am too inexperienced to be able to truly articulate, I can tell you it tastes goooood! And good in so many different ways from the first 1/3 down to the nub. Sweet, spicy, RICH.  Great info on this site. I look forward to exploring more and finding other cigars I enjoy.  Based on these two favorites, can any of you recommend other cigars I might like?

Comments

• Options
    Hello and welcome.

If you like Tatuaje, then the easy advice is try anything from Don Pepin Garcia (cigar.com has a great sampler of his stuff). Be warned though, Don Pepin's stuff tends to all be quite full, especially if you are new to cigars. Still, if you liked the Tatuaje, there probably isn't much to worry about.

I am personally a huge Don Pepin junkie. He's even started making some Nicaraguan maduros, which have been utterly delicious in my experience.
  • Options
    Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    even though im a newbie smoker as well even more so than you are. you have taken a great approach into the world of cigars ur definiatly expanding ur horizon and trying a little of everything. the only advice i can give is dont narrow urself down to a favorite just yet keep giving things different tries at different periods of time especially if ur a new smoker ur pallette will change and evolve to the smoke bcuz ur not used to it. so keep trying different things.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Good advice, that.
  • Options
    Great advise. Thank you guys. I'm going to try out some of those Don Pepin Garcias and see what other Nic. wrapped goodness I can get my hands on. :)
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    If you're looking specifically for Nicaraguan cigars, try the Padron.