Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Runners amongst us

I run a few 5K races. Just curious if we have many runners amongst us.

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I used to run 1-2 miles a day and do the occasional charity 5k. It's been about a year since I stopped and I do miss it.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i have been hitting the gym a lot lately getting in shape...i have been starting to run a little bit, and do enjoy it..but dam its hard for a fat guy lol
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I used to run 3 to 4 (ran 12 once) miles a day, but my shin splints have been killing me no matter what I do.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    i have been hitting the gym a lot lately getting in shape...i have been starting to run a little bit, and do enjoy it..but dam its hard for a fat guy lol
    You working on cardio, upper body, abs, or just all-around? I could give you some tips and exercises to do.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    well i had a personal trainer and know what im doing in the gym...i love health and fitness in general...so im losing weight...but its just hard running when your not used to it...shin splints, breathness, etc...lol...its getting better though
  • Options
    Yeah...unfortunately, the only way to get better at running is running. Make sure your shoes are right for your feet and if you need extra support, I'd suggest getting Dr. Scholl's Athletic Gel Soles. Lunges and squats are also good for developing leg and thigh strength as well. It's good that you're running. A lot of body builders tend to ignore the legs. They may look like the Hulk from the waist up, but they have tiny twig legs that can barely support the bulk they build up.

EDIT - Also, you'll run faster and lighter (less pain from shin splints) when you lose weight. I lost 40 pounds in Basic and could run forever with no problems. Now, after bulking up my upper body and abs, my shin splints are back.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well over the last weekend, we had numerous guests in my hotel that were participating in the Western States 100mile Marathon here in California... yes, that's right: 100 miles....running... My uncle - Michael Hays - owns Personal Best Performance in Idaho, and actually organizes these kinds of marathons regularly. My other uncle regularly runs 20+ miles a day, my father 10+, my brother is a personal trainer in training and my other brother participates in 50mile marathons... In other words, hell no I don't run!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a lot of good intentions about running...

do i run?
    not any more.

i should start again.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    EDIT - Also, you'll run faster and lighter (less pain from shin splints) when you lose weight. I lost 40 pounds in Basic and could run forever with no problems. Now, after bulking up my upper body and abs, my shin splints are back.
    to help with shin splints.

every day walk as far as you can before your workout while not letting the balls of your feet hit the ground. you should be walking on your heals only. this builds up the right muscles to prevent shin splints.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm a runner. Been very into it since high school. I ran track and cross country. I'm currently training for the Chicago Marathon. It'll be my first Marathon, although I trained for a marathon back in '04 but never ran it. My wife was set to run with me but broke her foot a week out ;-( I was too chicken to run it by myself. But I logged a 22 mile run 3 weeks before the marathon, So I guess that's my longest distance un-timed. But I've run in too many 5Ks, 8Ks, 10Ks and Half Marathons to count.....

I recently lost about 25 lbs and got inspired to train for it again. I still have about 15 lbs to go, but I feel good on my runs. I've already improved my 5K time by about 3 mins.

If anyone ever needs advice or tips, feel free to ask. I'm no expert, by any means (disclaimer), but I'm always willing to offer my honest opinion on things.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    I'm a runner. Been very into it since high school. I ran track and cross country. I'm currently training for the Chicago Marathon. It'll be my first Marathon, although I trained for a marathon back in '04 but never ran it. My wife was set to run with me but broke her foot a week out ;-( I was too chicken to run it by myself. But I logged a 22 mile run 3 weeks before the marathon, So I guess that's my longest distance un-timed. But I've run in too many 5Ks, 8Ks, 10Ks and Half Marathons to count.....

I recently lost about 25 lbs and got inspired to train for it again. I still have about 15 lbs to go, but I feel good on my runs. I've already improved my 5K time by about 3 mins.

If anyone ever needs advice or tips, feel free to ask. I'm no expert, by any means (disclaimer), but I'm always willing to offer my honest opinion on things.

What did you do to lose that weight?
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    lilwing88:

What did you do to lose that weight?
    I used a program called Body-For-Life.... It's a 12-week program that's as foolproof as any. I just went on the website, downloaded all the info and stuck to it. It's all free too (which was the best part!). Check it out...... bodyforlife.com
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    wwhwang:
    to help with shin splints.

every day walk as far as you can before your workout while not letting the balls of your feet hit the ground. you should be walking on your heals only. this builds up the right muscles to prevent shin splints.
    I've been long boarding a lot recently and couldn't figure out how to fix my shin splints. the balls of my feet get used the most when I'm "kicking" on my board, and when I'm skateboarding in general... Damn Kuzi, this is just what I needed!! Thanks!!
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    yup, i guess you can call me a runner, training for columbus marathon. handcycle div.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    yea, me and running... we don't get along so well, that *** still owes me new knees.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I'm set to run my first half marathon about 5 hours from now. Started running again in Jan. after taking about a 23 year break. I've run about 14 5Ks and 1 10K this year. This will be my first ever race beyond 8K. So, why am I awake now? I work 12 hr shifts, will get off at 6. On most race days I have to be back at work at 6pm but I've arranged to be off today. Probably a wise move. My race goal. 1. To finish. 2. and finish under 2 hrs.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I've been running and working out for some time now. I've ran a few marathons, 50K, and 50 mile races. In AZ I was very much into mountain and trail running, but out here there isn't much of that. I'm also into lifting/bodybuilding.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Great regimen you have. I stay fairly fit for an old man but stick to running and biking.
  • Options
    I subscribe to Satchel Paige's view on running. He said " Avoid running at all cost "!
  • Options
    Didn't John Kruk say something like "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player"? :-D
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Ran my first half marathon on Sat. with a time of 1:50:48, (age 53). Was very sore but did 3 miles on Sun and 3 today. Feeling good and looking forward, i think, to the next one. Probably in the spring.
  • Options
    Ran my last race of the year yesterday. It was a 5K course not too far from the Talladega Superspeedway. Hilliest course I've ever ran and it kicked my ***. Still took 2nd in my age group with a 25:51.
  • Options
    Nice work!
    Light 'em up.