Home Cigar 101

Humidification in my 150 qt Coolidor

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
I went with 2 LBs of humidification beads, even though the instructions call for approximately 1.5 lbs for something that size. Some people (in which I would say I am one of them) subscribe to the school of thought that having too many properly humidified beads will make it more stable.

A friend of mine told me he had a buddy who went too heavy with the beads and it sucked every last bit of moiture out of the cigars at one point.

Now, I am confident that once my cigars age in my store-bought 20-count humidor for a week or so (which maintains a steady 70-72% RH) , they'll be back to normal so I'm not that broken up about this but I was just wondering what you gentleman thought.

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    ppack that humi full and im sure u will be fine with the 2 pds...worst comes to worst move a small handfull into ur smaller humi..or just send me the beads lol
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'm no expert on beads, but I'm fairly certain more beads means more stable humidity, and a quicker recharge of the RH after opening the lid.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Monitor it for a few days, if the humidity is dropping, wet the beads, if it rises, your beads may be saturated and you will need to leave the top off.

I don't have anything as big as you've got and I don;t use beads, but I do use the gel filled bricks which i understand is the same material as the beads, and am using in a cedar lined humi, the cedar helps control the humidity too, and mine RH is very stable, the lack of a cedar lining may account for what your buddy related.

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Yea I don't have wall-to-wall cedar but I do have all of my stogies in lidless empty cigar boxes, all of which (hopefully) are made of spanish cedar. I hope this will stabilize humidity as well. Thanks, gentleman.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the only way that the beads would have sucked out all the humidity of his cigars is if he had them under charged. the more beads you have the more stable they will be and the less often you will have to recharge them. however, if all of your beads are under charged, they WILL suck out humidity. keep the right charge about them and there should be no problems at all.

keep an eye on that hygrometer.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Do as Kuzi suggests, keep the beads charged, watch the hygro, and quit worrying your puros will be fine!!!!!! ;)

someone told me to spray a very light mist on the wall of the cooler which will allow the beads a little extra moisture for the beads to soak up, and if they can't the cedar will, and if they cant the cigars will. Seems sensible to me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    someone told me to spray a very light mist on the wall of the cooler which will allow the beads a little extra moisture for the beads to soak up, and if they can't the cedar will, and if they cant the cigars will. Seems sensible to me.
    as soon as that drips on to one of your cigars then youll be pissed.

you can spray the beads directly and cut out the middleman
    good point. nix the mist.