Home General Discussion

My first big order

Well i finally decided that it was time to stock up my humidors so i made my first big order. Now my friends can have a right to call me an addict, meh, oh well. Here it is for your guys' review.

Rocky Patel Connecticut, Torpedo, Connecticut, 6.5 X 50 Box of 20

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, No. 2 (Torpedo), Habano Box of 25 w/ freebie

Acid One Series with black label 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Atom, Maduro 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Cold Infusion Tea, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Earthiness, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Kuba Kuba, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Liquid, Habano, 3 sticks

I am separating the acids into a different humidor so that they don't destroy the other sticks. What do you guys think?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    la-henry:
    Well i finally decided that it was time to stock up my humidors so i made my first big order. Now my friends can have a right to call me an addict, meh, oh well. Here it is for your guys' review.

Rocky Patel Connecticut, Torpedo, Connecticut, 6.5 X 50 Box of 20

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, No. 2 (Torpedo), Habano Box of 25 w/ freebie

Acid One Series with black label 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Atom, Maduro 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Cold Infusion Tea, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Earthiness, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Kuba Kuba, Habano, 3 sticks

Acid by Drew Estate, Liquid, Habano, 3 sticks

I am separating the acids into a different humidor so that they don't destroy the other sticks. What do you guys think?

Were you influenced by the article in this months Cigar.com magazine ? They did have a nice article on Drew Estates cigars.. I have had a number of the Acid cigars, I really like the mild Cold Tea, and the Robust " full bodied profile" of Earthiness. The Kubas had a nice flavor and size to them. And the Atom was a decent Maduro too. Not an everyday cigar for me but still , great quality cigars for a change of pace.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The only one of these I've had is the RP, which, in all honesty, I don't remember much about. Which is to say: I can't comment on your order, intelligently.

If the order makes you happy, though, it's a good one. Enjoy!
  • kaspera79:
    Were you influenced by the article in this months Cigar.com magazine ? They did have a nice article on Drew Estates cigars.. I have had a number of the Acid cigars, I really like the mild Cold Tea, and the Robust " full bodied profile" of Earthiness. The Kubas had a nice flavor and size to them. And the Atom was a decent Maduro too. Not an everyday cigar for me but still , great quality cigars for a change of pace.
    My jump from little swisher sweets to real cigars started with the acids. The ones that i ordered have been my favorites from that line. I ordered the cuban cabinet because in my opinion that is an amazing cigar with nice complexity. The RP was because i still like having a Connecticut every now and then, and most of my friends can't handle the fuller smokes so i got those to share (I love sharing my cigars)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I really liked the SC Cuban Cabinet, I probably have about a dozen in various sizes floating around...very solid cigar in my opinion. Haven't had a RP Conn. yet, I'm looking forward to trying one, it just never seems to grab me.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    A friend that shares cigars is a good friend to have.... It is nice to smoke with others who enjoy cigars as well, instead of people who curl up their noses when they walk past.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    la-henry:
    (I love sharing my cigars)
    I'll pm you my address j/k :)
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I've loved all the RPs I've had, especially the edge. But I never had the connecticut. And I've loved the SCs I've had. Never had an acid, though. I dunno, for some reason I have no desire to try them. Am I missing out on something wonderful? They seem kinda gimmicky to me or something.
  • I normally don't like the flavored cigars that i've tried. But the acids are different, they don't have a distinguishable flavor to them. It's just one of those things that is hard to explain. They're infused with "floral accents" so they have a nice sweet flavor with alot of smoke and some complexity.
  • j0z3r:
    la-henry:
    (I love sharing my cigars)
    I'll pm you my address j/k :)
    I'm planning on getting into some trades so you might get lucky hahaha
    j0z3r:
    I really liked the SC Cuban Cabinet, I probably have about a dozen in various sizes floating around...very solid cigar in my opinion. Haven't had a RP Conn. yet, I'm looking forward to trying one, it just never seems to grab me.
    I've got a few that I picked up from trades, games, passes, etc., but I haven't smoked one yet. Maybe that's tonight's smoke.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The Cuban Cabinet is spicy, and a very good smoke. The RP Connecticuts are a perfect cigar for sharing with non-smokers. It's very smooth and non-offensive. I didn't pack enough flavor for my tastes, but by the same token it had a nice creamy, muted profile.
  • Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    can sumbody explain spicy? like i love spicy foods and such but i dnt think that has anything to do with a cigar being spicy... is it like a peppery sent like salt and pepper or am i totally off?
    For me, it's a taste/feeling very similar to black pepper. The first thing I think when somebody says a cigar had spice (particularly at the beginning or end), it leads me to believe they've just smoked it to quick/hot. Seems you can make any cigar spicy if you smoke it fast enough. But the Cuban Cabinet burned cool, and even if the smoke was retained for many seconds, the lingering effect in the nose and mouth were still of having eaten a peppery dish.

Kuzi and the flavor experts could probably expand on this a bit more, or completely shoot me down with a better explanation.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    For me, it's a taste/feeling very similar to black pepper. The first thing I think when somebody says a cigar had spice (particularly at the beginning or end), it leads me to believe they've just smoked it to quick/hot. Seems you can make any cigar spicy if you smoke it fast enough. But the Cuban Cabinet burned cool, and even if the smoke was retained for many seconds, the lingering effect in the nose and mouth were still of having eaten a peppery dish.

Kuzi and the flavor experts could probably expand on this a bit more, or completely shoot me down with a better explanation.
    I think Yankee-Doodie-Doo-Doo said it pretty well... I'll also add this... For me I also relate the "spiciness" to how it feels on the back of the throat / nasel passages... When blowing the smoke out through the nose a "spicy" cigar will have a slight "burn" back there... a VERY spicy cigar can almost bring tears to your eyes... ;) a non-spicy will have almost no effect at all...
    rusirius:
    When blowing the smoke out through the nose a "spicy" cigar will have a slight "burn" back there... a VERY spicy cigar can almost bring tears to your eyes... ;)
    Like a good Dr. Pepper belch.
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    When blowing the smoke out through the nose a "spicy" cigar will have a slight "burn" back there... a VERY spicy cigar can almost bring tears to your eyes... ;)
    Like a good Dr. Pepper belch.
    Ex-zachery!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Acid trip?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok, In my 1st big order I got 4 cusano 18 with the double conn wrapper. This was my 1st cigar in a long time (Months/years) I hated it. It kicked my A$$. I thought it was way to strong way too bitter etc. I moved on the some others in my big order. Then when I was near the end of the order I went back to the 18 (cuz thats what I had left) Turned out that I thought it was a nice mild to medium cigar with a good flavor, not just a kick me in the head and burn me out! Anyway, Im on my 2nd big order. Ordered before I got on the Ccom forums so we'll see how it goes. 5 Toro of Each RP 90 RP 92 RP Edge Lite Ive had the RP 90 before and had some burn issues with it, but overall liked it ( I attested it to smokin as soon as the order came in) My follow up question are these 1 - How long should I let them 'rest' --I have some other sticks that may get me through for a while, but certainly not 6-8 weeks worth 2 - What sticks shoudl I start and end on? I look forward to hearing from the pro and anti RP fans on this forum
    I just crossed streams -- Never cross the streams, it would be Very Very Bad -- . Sorry posted this for the cusano 18 order on another post, but look forward to hearing from everyone anyway.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you wanna get technical, you dont have to let them rest at all.
    I know you dont have to let them rest, but I see in your posts and in others that you and others let some rest and some 'age' I just wanted to get other feedback on how long folks let the smokes rest. Kuzi - I think you stated you typically let them rest for 6 weeks or so?
    I ALWAYS let 'em rest... At least till I'm ready to smoke 'em.... Stick out tongue [:P]

Seriously though... The only reason I wouldn't smoke something right away if I wanted to would be either a) it's too humid as often cigars I get shipped in seem to be, or b) I've already had one and found it to still be a bit green... Otherwise I really don't pay much attention to it... I don't have a set rule that says it must sit for a certain period of time...

Bottom line is, whatever works for you is what you should do... For me, I never have a problem... I believe the reason Kuzi does the 6 week wait is because he's found that without his wait the rate of "Bad smokes" goes up... So...

The suggestion is simple... Order a cigar sampler that has multiples... Let's say it's 4 each of 4 different types... Smoke one of each right away when you get them and take notes... a couple weeks later smoke 4 of each again... Wash, rinse, and repeat... This will build a basis for YOU to make a decision on... If you notice a big difference as they rest, then you know you should probably do that from then on... If you don't notice any difference at all, then you're probably safe to smoke 'em whenever ya want...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    Bottom line is, whatever works for you is what you should do... For me, I never have a problem... I believe the reason Kuzi does the 6 week wait is because he's found that without his wait the rate of "Bad smokes" goes up... So...
    spot on

i like my cigars to be at 65% rh. 6 weeks is a bit of overkill for that but i feel that its worth it.
    I've found one week to not be enough, 10 days usually works. I try to let them rest for 3 weeks, but I don't panic if it ends up being only a few days. Look at it this way -- would you rather smoke the cigar with minor burn issues now, or would you rather wait another couple weeks and smoke it when you know it's settled. Make your decision based on that.