Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Need Some Good news...

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
When are we going to have a day of good news? When am I going to open a newspaper and find that consumers suddenly have confidence in our economy; that private small business owners are starting to hire again; that leading Democrat politicians have sudden concerns about the role and influence of government in our lives; that dependency on government is on the decrease; and that people have suddenly rediscovered their love for freedom? When? Not any time soon, that's for sure.

Let's see .....

Unemployment claims are up.

The so-called "recovery" is fizzling

US debt at a record percentage of GDP .. and growing

Private business aren't hiring ... and don't plan to

Government employment growing across the board

Iran thumbing its nose at further sanctions .. continue work on the bomb

Dependency on government growing at highest rate since Jimmy Carter

The United Nations is calling for the dollar to be replaced as the global reserve currency

Oil leak in Gulf continues with no real end in sight

Taliban cooling their heels and waiting for our July 2011 pull out date

Tax increases across the board in the US

The Value Added Tax is on the way!

Home sales are down by 30%

Six months to go before we are hit with the largest tax hike in history

Hugo Chavez just seized 11 oil rigs owned by a US company

Mexican drug gang fight at Arizona border kills 21

So ... how's that Hopey-Changy thing working out for you?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    best news ive had today... Judd Apatow to produce Pee-wee Herman flick http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/01/judd-apatow-to-produce-pee-wee-herman-flick/?hpt=C2 :)
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    here's some good news. i have some sticks in the humi. i have a job, when last year at this time i was unemployed. i still have a lot to be happy about. my kids are healthy. its all good. sometimes we forget the good things all around us.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    A few years ago I might have said the good news is that the GOP has a very good chance of taking a majority in the House and the Senate. Now, this is essentially a good thing because it will prevent anything from getting done - and frankly, Washington not doing anything is far better than what's being done to "help" us. But my complaint it this:

The GOP is just slightly a better alternative than the Libs. They are corrupt, incompetent, and have zero plan whatsoever to actually reduce real spending, shrink our government, and release the stranglehold of government programs destroying our economy. Can you name a single person in the GOP that has any real leadership capabilities? That can unify a bunch of self-serving politicians like Reagan once did? I can't! Who in the GOP is really going to crush spending, not just cut but truly eliminate government programs and pull back control? None that I can name. The GOP is being handed a huge gift and they will probably squander it and do nothing. Nothing is better than continuing what is happening now, but wow do I wish someone would step up and actually give their base what they really want: less government, less control, and lower taxes.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    A few years ago I might have said the good news is that the GOP has a very good chance of taking a majority in the House and the Senate. Now, this is essentially a good thing because it will prevent anything from getting done - and frankly, Washington not doing anything is far better than what's being done to "help" us. But my complaint it this:

The GOP is just slightly a better alternative than the Libs. They are corrupt, incompetent, and have zero plan whatsoever to actually reduce real spending, shrink our government, and release the stranglehold of government programs destroying our economy. Can you name a single person in the GOP that has any real leadership capabilities? That can unify a bunch of self-serving politicians like Reagan once did? I can't! Who in the GOP is really going to crush spending, not just cut but truly eliminate government programs and pull back control? None that I can name. The GOP is being handed a huge gift and they will probably squander it and do nothing. Nothing is better than continuing what is happening now, but wow do I wish someone would step up and actually give their base what they really want: less government, less control, and lower taxes.
    Sadly I agree with most of this. No one is stepping forward on the right and showing leadership above all the squawking. There are so many things too that could be done to help. All we have coming down the pipe right now is more out of control Dem spending, entitlements, and higher taxes. I do like what Gov Christie(sp?) is doing in Jersey. he is putting a stop to all of it there and making some headway.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    TatuajeVI:

Sadly I agree with most of this. No one is stepping forward on the right and showing leadership above all the squawking. There are so many things too that could be done to help. All we have coming down the pipe right now is more out of control Dem spending, entitlements, and higher taxes. I do like what Gov Christie(sp?) is doing in Jersey. he is putting a stop to all of it there and making some headway.
    Jindal, Palin, Christie .. I'd vote for any of them.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    As long as so many politicians only goal is to get re-elected they aren't going to have time to do the real work. It's all about the democratic or republican party and seldom about us.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well I guess you guys really want worse off conditions, I'll toast to ya. I guess 2000-2008 was such a great time. You guys seem to forget all the great times..
  • Options
    docedwards:
    As long as so many politicians only goal is to get re-elected they aren't going to have time to do the real work. It's all about the democratic or republican party and seldom about us.
    sadly true.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    What about this Tea party I keep hearing about?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    here's some good news. i have some sticks in the humi. i have a job, when last year at this time i was unemployed. i still have a lot to be happy about. my kids are healthy. its all good. sometimes we forget the good things all around us.

+1. I got a roof over my head, food on the table, beer in the fridge, sticks in the humi, a stable job and a car to get me there, a woman to love(occasionally.....HA), and my tomato plant is doing pretty good! All in all the bigger picture may be grim, but i have a lot of good news around me.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I guess you guys really want worse off conditions, I'll toast to ya. I guess 2000-2008 was such a great time. You guys seem to forget all the great times..
    My views on where the GOP should be and what they should be fighting for is pretty much the opposite of the Bush administration. Well, not exactly opposite, but close. Bush was a moderate, so was his father. We haven't had a conservative administration since Reagan. Economically, Reagans track record is pretty fantastic, not to mention his foreign policy.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    My views on where the GOP should be and what they should be fighting for is pretty much the opposite of the Bush administration. Well, not exactly opposite, but close. Bush was a moderate, so was his father. We haven't had a conservative administration since Reagan. Economically, Reagans track record is pretty fantastic, not to mention his foreign policy.
    That is the truth! I think in the long run the Reagen foreign policy view is much more sustainable that this junk that is being tried now. The rest of the world is NEVER going to love us, better to make them fear us.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I've got 2 pork butts in the smoker, beer in the cooler and cigars in the humi. I hope that helps you because it sure does for me!
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    That is the truth! I think in the long run the Reagen foreign policy view is much more sustainable that this junk that is being tried now. The rest of the world is NEVER going to love us, better to make them fear us.
    wow... yeah reagan was sure a genius. make the world fear us? wow... well it fits. I suggest that you guys really read on what reagan did, he was far from what you think he was. Why is it so hard to understand that the take-over by corporate America really was put in full gear. Let's see labor was cut almost down to a nub thanks to his policies, our debt rose, we could have been a leader if not the leader in clean energy if he hadn't destroyed what Carter started, we would be consuming half in not less oil than we are now, and our manufacturing industry wouldn't be in such ruin.

Oh and what tax hike? the sunset of the bush tax cuts? oh you mean the top 2% or so... Yeah we sure will feel that. Got to continue the welfare of the rich on our tax dollars. Republicans are the biggest liars in history these days. They go on and on about smaller govt but in reality they are making it larger and overstepping their bounds. Making the super rich pay less than what the commons do, and not to mention giving them and huge corporations such huge tax breaks they pay next to nothing or nothing at all. Even now they are blocking legislation for another tax cut for the middle class and are trying to keep tax cuts for the super wealthy and big industry. Oh and let's not even start with the hand out to the top banks and wallstreet. Or the huge give aways to the oil and gas companies or the huge amounts of money given to private military contractors. Or the huge breakdown of our privacy and rights thanks to the patriot act. Or one of the biggest re-structuring of govt in our history with homeland security. For some reason it's okay to give countless money to large institutions but when it comes to upgrading our countries infrastructure or our schools or our manufacturing or anything that will push us ahead of the rest of the world the GOP are against it (some dems too). what is so fearful of doing the right thing and moving away from the past? Seems to me that the GOP once a great party has really just turned into slaves for their masters instead of doing their job, representing this nation and her people. Sad thing is the dems are following...
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Jetmech_63:
    dennisking:

+1. I got a roof over my head, food on the table, beer in the fridge, sticks in the humi, a stable job and a car to get me there, a woman to love(occasionally.....HA), and my tomato plant is doing pretty good! All in all the bigger picture may be grim, but i have a lot of good news around me.
    +1 here also. Personally Im doing pretty well. Good job, great family, all my needs are met & thats where my focus should be IMHO. I much prefer to thank the Lord for the blessings I DO have instead of bemoaning the things that I do not.

We are living in some trying times Krieg, and it is definitely enough to try a man's soul. The best advice I can give you or anyone else is this - lead from where you stand. We cant reach high enough to fix the economy or international relations or many other things. But you CAN reach your family, your neighbors. You can volunteer your time, or money, or whatever you have to contribute to make the world around you a better place. Somebody help me out here, who is the author of the quote that went something along the lines of "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to stnad idly by and do nothing"?

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    fla-gypsy:
    TatuajeVI:
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow... yeah reagan was sure a genius. make the world fear us? wow... well it fits. I suggest that you guys really read on what reagan did, he was far from what you think he was. Why is it so hard to understand that the take-over by corporate America really was put in full gear. Let's see labor was cut almost down to a nub thanks to his policies, our debt rose, we could have been a leader if not the leader in clean energy if he hadn't destroyed what Carter started, we would be consuming half in not less oil than we are now, and our manufacturing industry wouldn't be in such ruin.

Oh and what tax hike? the sunset of the bush tax cuts? oh you mean the top 2% or so... Yeah we sure will feel that. Got to continue the welfare of the rich on our tax dollars. Republicans are the biggest liars in history these days. They go on and on about smaller govt but in reality they are making it larger and overstepping their bounds. Making the super rich pay less than what the commons do, and not to mention giving them and huge corporations such huge tax breaks they pay next to nothing or nothing at all. Even now they are blocking legislation for another tax cut for the middle class and are trying to keep tax cuts for the super wealthy and big industry. Oh and let's not even start with the hand out to the top banks and wallstreet. Or the huge give aways to the oil and gas companies or the huge amounts of money given to private military contractors. Or the huge breakdown of our privacy and rights thanks to the patriot act. Or one of the biggest re-structuring of govt in our history with homeland security. For some reason it's okay to give countless money to large institutions but when it comes to upgrading our countries infrastructure or our schools or our manufacturing or anything that will push us ahead of the rest of the world the GOP are against it (some dems too). what is so fearful of doing the right thing and moving away from the past? Seems to me that the GOP once a great party has really just turned into slaves for their masters instead of doing their job, representing this nation and her people. Sad thing is the dems are following...
    Not even wanting to get into this entire debate, but just have to ask you to qualify one statement in this while thing... How is letting the rich keep THEIR OWN MONEY considered welfare in your mind? If that's the case then you customers are paying you welfare, and the city I work for, yup allllll welfare... That statement shows a total hatred for the rich and successful that I just don't understand. When did someone making a lot money make them a bad person and not deserving of what they have legally and rightfully earned?
  • Options
    Puro - you must always remember that the rich are evil, and the government definitely knows better how to spend their money.

Pheebs, I agree with you that the Republicans have overstepped their bounds and have spent way too much money. That was the point of my original post. The difference between you and I is that (from earlier posts in other threads) you seem to think that even our Democrats are not far enough to the Left for you on issues like healthcare and business regulation.

Btw. Obama/the Left continued all of the "evil" things from the Bush administration (Patriot Act, anyone? oh yeah, they expanded it!) and took the idea of government involvement in business to a whole new level. (GM? Wallstreet? Banking industry? They are partly owned by Washington now! How does that make you feel?) Obama/Pelosi/Reid are far more frightening than the GOP, but as I've stated earlier, I doubt much will change even if the GOP annihilates the Left in November.
  • Options
    Just to clarify the tax increases I mentioned:

Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes in History From Ryan Ellis on Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:15 PM
    BREAKING: Wounded Warriors Face New Tax This Independence Day
    In just six months, the largest tax hikes in the history of America will take effect. They will hit families and small businesses in three great waves on January 1, 2011:
    First Wave: Expiration of 2001 and 2003 Tax Relief
    In 2001 and 2003, the GOP Congress enacted several tax cuts for investors, small business owners, and families. These will all expire on January 1, 2011:
    Personal income tax rates will rise. The top income tax rate will rise from 35 to 39.6 percent (this is also the rate at which two-thirds of small business profits are taxed). The lowest rate will rise from 10 to 15 percent. All the rates in between will also rise. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions will again phase out, which has the same mathematical effect as higher marginal tax rates. The full list of marginal rate hikes is below:
    - The 10% bracket rises to an expanded 15% - The 25% bracket rises to 28% - The 28% bracket rises to 31% - The 33% bracket rises to 36% - The 35% bracket rises to 39.6%
    Higher taxes on marriage and family. The “marriage penalty” (narrower tax brackets for married couples) will return from the first dollar of income. The child tax credit will be cut in half from $1000 to $500 per child. The standard deduction will no longer be doubled for married couples relative to the single level. The dependent care and adoption tax credits will be cut.
    The return of the Death Tax. This year, there is no death tax. For those dying on or after January 1 2011, there is a 55 percent top death tax rate on estates over $1 million. A person leaving behind two homes and a retirement account could easily pass along a death tax bill to their loved ones.
    Higher tax rates on savers and investors. The capital gains tax will rise from 15 percent this year to 20 percent in 2011. The dividends tax will rise from 15 percent this year to 39.6 percent in 2011. These rates will rise another 3.8 percent in 2013.
    Second Wave: Obamacare
    There are over twenty new or higher taxes in Obamacare. Several will first go into effect on January 1, 2011. They include:
    The “Medicine Cabinet Tax” Thanks to Obamacare, Americans will no longer be able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin).
    The “Special Needs Kids Tax” This provision of Obamacare imposes a cap on flexible spending accounts (FSAs) of $2500 (Currently, there is no federal government limit). There is one group of FSA owners for whom this new cap will be particularly cruel and onerous: parents of special needs children. There are thousands of families with special needs children in the United States, and many of them use FSAs to pay for special needs education. Tuition rates at one leading school that teaches special needs children in Washington, D.C. (National Child Research Center) can easily exceed $14,000 per year. Under tax rules, FSA dollars can be used to pay for this type of special needs education.
    The HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike. This provision of Obamacare increases the additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent, disadvantaging them relative to IRAs and other tax-advantaged accounts, which remain at 10 percent.
    Third Wave: The Alternative Minimum Tax and Employer Tax Hikes
    When Americans prepare to file their tax returns in January of 2011, they’ll be in for a nasty surprise—the AMT won’t be held harmless, and many tax relief provisions will have expired. The major items include:
    The AMT will ensnare over 28 million families, up from 4 million last year. According to the left-leaning Tax Policy Center, Congress’ failure to index the AMT will lead to an explosion of AMT taxpaying families—rising from 4 million last year to 28.5 million. These families will have to calculate their tax burdens twice, and pay taxes at the higher level. The AMT was created in 1969 to ensnare a handful of taxpayers.
    Small business expensing will be slashed and 50% expensing will disappear. Small businesses can normally expense (rather than slowly-deduct, or “depreciate”) equipment purchases up to $250,000. This will be cut all the way down to $25,000. Larger businesses can expense half of their purchases of equipment. In January of 2011, all of it will have to be “depreciated.”
    Taxes will be raised on all types of businesses. There are literally scores of tax hikes on business that will take place. The biggest is the loss of the “research and experimentation tax credit,” but there are many, many others. Combining high marginal tax rates with the loss of this tax relief will cost jobs.
    Tax Benefits for Education and Teaching Reduced. The deduction for tuition and fees will not be available. Tax credits for education will be limited. Teachers will no longer be able to deduct classroom expenses. Coverdell Education Savings Accounts will be cut. Employer-provided educational assistance is curtailed. The student loan interest deduction will be disallowed for hundreds of thousands of families.
    Charitable Contributions from IRAs no longer allowed. Under current law, a retired person with an IRA can contribute up to $100,000 per year directly to a charity from their IRA. This contribution also counts toward an annual “required minimum distribution.” This ability will no longer be there
    Read more: http://www.atr.org/sixmonths.html?content=5171#ixzz0siXBG0KH
  • Options
    Lies! Everyone knows it's just those greedy rich bastards that benefited from W's tax cuts! And Obama would never tax the lower or middle class more! ...right?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Here's some good news - The Supreme Court just ruled a few days ago that the Second Amendment applies against the States; hopefully the NRA and the like can push this so more people in oppressive States can enjoy their Constitutional rights :D
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    TatuajeVI:
    Lies! Everyone knows it's just those greedy rich bastards that benefited from W's tax cuts! And Obama would never tax the lower or middle class more! ...right?
    There's been rumbling among a lot of top dems that "it doesn't matter where the tax cap is - $250k or $200k or $150k - it's arbitrary" Those words have generally been taken as a signal that the dems are gonna start raising taxes on everyone, or just go ahead and impose a VAT on the country to pay for obamacare
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow... yeah reagan was sure a genius. make the world fear us? wow... well it fits.
    the world fearing us is WAY better than the world attacking us and destroying us.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I suggest that you guys really read on what reagan did, he was far from what you think he was. Why is it so hard to understand that the take-over by corporate America really was put in full gear.
    you hate free enterprise way more than you should. yes, corporations do bad things but if they government EVER did their jobs (BOTH SIDES NOT JUST THE REPUBLICANS) then the things you hate about corporations would be put in place. it is the governments job to protect our rights, and they (the republicans AND the democrats) have failed. dont sit there and try to say it is all the republicans fault. to blame them and them alone is very disingenuous and its pathetic if you are trying to make that argument.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Let's see labor was cut almost down to a nub thanks to his policies,
    but unemployment went way down....
    just how does that work? less labor, but more jobs.... hmmmm
    phobicsquirrel:
    our debt rose,
    yes it did. that is a bad thing that he did. he had part of the equation. the spending half of it was clearly not right.
    and haw do you sit here and *** about Reagan's spending when spending during THIS administration is astronomically higher? you always seem to back that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    we could have been a leader if not the leader in clean energy if he hadn't destroyed what Carter started, we would be consuming half in not less oil than we are now, and our manufacturing industry wouldn't be in such ruin.
    show me ANY shred of evidence of that. when carter left office he gave Reagan an economy that was worse than the one Bush gave Obama. by the end of Regan's presidency the economy was stronger on many fronts. this set up almost 20 years of solid economic growth.

phobicsquirrel:
    Oh and what tax hike? the sunset of the bush tax cuts? oh you mean the top 2% or so... Yeah we sure will feel that. Got to continue the welfare of the rich on our tax dollars.
    the average family of 4 making $60k a year got to keep $2000 more a year.

$60k a year is not "rich" especially when you take into account that is in a family of 4 people. yeah... keep punishing those rich guys that make $60K and have kids!!
    phobicsquirrel:
    Republicans are the biggest liars in history these days.
    correction: politicians are the biggest liars ever.
    phobicsquirrel:
    They go on and on about smaller govt but in reality they are making it larger and overstepping their bounds.
    that i agree with. but thats what all government does.
    i think its funny that when a republican makes government bigger you complain and call them liars but when a democrat does it its for the good of everyone.

the reality here is that every time that government is made bigger (either by Democrats OR Republicans) there is a violation of rights somewhere. its not "republican vs democrat" or "right vs left" or "conservative vs liberal"
    It is "US" being the people of the United States VS. "them" being the government and the policies that erode the rights of individuals

phobicsquirrel:
    Making the super rich pay less than what the commons do, and not to mention giving them and huge corporations such huge tax breaks they pay next to nothing or nothing at all.
    that is an out and out lie. there are tons of places where i can find documentation about what percentage of taxes paid into the system come from where. im not going to bother to link to them because it is damn near common knowledge. not only that but almost 50% of the people who have jobs in the US today dont even pay income taxes anymore. your above statement is laughable at best.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Even now they are blocking legislation for another tax cut for the middle class and are trying to keep tax cuts for the super wealthy and big industry.
    why are you so worried about who is getting taxed? the bigger issue here is SPENDING. its out of control.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Oh and let's not even start with the hand out to the top banks and wallstreet. Or the huge give aways to the oil and gas companies
    those were democrat problems as well. if you believe that BP and the democrats arent in each other's pockets then you are way more naive than i ever imagined.
    phobicsquirrel:
    the huge amounts of money given to private military contractors. Or the huge breakdown of our privacy and rights thanks to the patriot act. Or one of the biggest re-structuring of govt in our history with homeland security.
    i agree. there are problems with these systems as well. as i said above, every time the scope of the government is increased, there is a violation of rights going on somewhere.
    phobicsquirrel:
    For some reason it's okay to give countless money to large institutions but when it comes to upgrading our countries infrastructure or our schools or our manufacturing or anything that will push us ahead of the rest of the world the GOP are against it (some dems too).
    larger taxes hurt companies. and higher taxes are what the Dems are for. as for schools... we keep putting more and more money into them but keep falling further and further behind other countries.
    private schools are not as far behind.
    maybe its because the government shouldnt be in the business of education, but only in the business of protecting our rights.
    If i could opt out of paying taxes for schools i would. then i would take that money i saved by not paying several thousand a year on those taxes and buy my kids the best education i could find. schools that have to compete for your money will try harder to get you to send your kids there by offering up a better education. this competition leads to better schools. no competition (public schools) leads to mediocrity. i think education policy of the last 50 years or so can back me up on that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    what is so fearful of doing the right thing and moving away from the past?
    what is so fearful? these exact policies are whats bringing down Greece, Spain, Portugal, and the EU in general. the Euro is falling apart, and their deficit spending exceeds the GDP. this leads to a Bankrupt nation. the past may have problems, but the way we are moving is more European. we are a few years behind them now. the past is done. the future is not looking good if we take after Europe the way our current government is trying to.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Seems to me that the GOP once a great party has really just turned into slaves for their masters instead of doing their job, representing this nation and her people. Sad thing is the dems are following...
    that is very true.

BOTH parties need to remember that WE THE PEOPLE are their masters. they are not ours. WE THE PEOPLE have individual rights that they are not to violate. WE THE PEOPLE are their bosses and we can (and should) fire them.

down with incumbents.
  • Options
    Thank you, Kuzi. I just didn't have the energy to do what you did.
  • Options
    JumperJumper Posts: 135
    Well said, Kuzi. PhobicSquirrel, where are you getting your information?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow... yeah reagan was sure a genius. make the world fear us? wow... well it fits.
    the world fearing us is WAY better than the world attacking us and destroying us.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I suggest that you guys really read on what reagan did, he was far from what you think he was. Why is it so hard to understand that the take-over by corporate America really was put in full gear.
    you hate free enterprise way more than you should. yes, corporations do bad things but if they government EVER did their jobs (BOTH SIDES NOT JUST THE REPUBLICANS) then the things you hate about corporations would be put in place. it is the governments job to protect our rights, and they (the republicans AND the democrats) have failed. dont sit there and try to say it is all the republicans fault. to blame them and them alone is very disingenuous and its pathetic if you are trying to make that argument.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Let's see labor was cut almost down to a nub thanks to his policies,
    but unemployment went way down....
    just how does that work? less labor, but more jobs.... hmmmm
    phobicsquirrel:
    our debt rose,
    yes it did. that is a bad thing that he did. he had part of the equation. the spending half of it was clearly not right.
    and haw do you sit here and *** about Reagan's spending when spending during THIS administration is astronomically higher? you always seem to back that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    we could have been a leader if not the leader in clean energy if he hadn't destroyed what Carter started, we would be consuming half in not less oil than we are now, and our manufacturing industry wouldn't be in such ruin.
    show me ANY shred of evidence of that. when carter left office he gave Reagan an economy that was worse than the one Bush gave Obama. by the end of Regan's presidency the economy was stronger on many fronts. this set up almost 20 years of solid economic growth.

phobicsquirrel:
    Oh and what tax hike? the sunset of the bush tax cuts? oh you mean the top 2% or so... Yeah we sure will feel that. Got to continue the welfare of the rich on our tax dollars.
    the average family of 4 making $60k a year got to keep $2000 more a year.

$60k a year is not "rich" especially when you take into account that is in a family of 4 people. yeah... keep punishing those rich guys that make $60K and have kids!!
    phobicsquirrel:
    Republicans are the biggest liars in history these days.
    correction: politicians are the biggest liars ever.
    phobicsquirrel:
    They go on and on about smaller govt but in reality they are making it larger and overstepping their bounds.
    that i agree with. but thats what all government does.
    i think its funny that when a republican makes government bigger you complain and call them liars but when a democrat does it its for the good of everyone.

the reality here is that every time that government is made bigger (either by Democrats OR Republicans) there is a violation of rights somewhere. its not "republican vs democrat" or "right vs left" or "conservative vs liberal"
    It is "US" being the people of the United States VS. "them" being the government and the policies that erode the rights of individuals

phobicsquirrel:
    Making the super rich pay less than what the commons do, and not to mention giving them and huge corporations such huge tax breaks they pay next to nothing or nothing at all.
    that is an out and out lie. there are tons of places where i can find documentation about what percentage of taxes paid into the system come from where. im not going to bother to link to them because it is damn near common knowledge. not only that but almost 50% of the people who have jobs in the US today dont even pay income taxes anymore. your above statement is laughable at best.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Even now they are blocking legislation for another tax cut for the middle class and are trying to keep tax cuts for the super wealthy and big industry.
    why are you so worried about who is getting taxed? the bigger issue here is SPENDING. its out of control.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Oh and let's not even start with the hand out to the top banks and wallstreet. Or the huge give aways to the oil and gas companies
    those were democrat problems as well. if you believe that BP and the democrats arent in each other's pockets then you are way more naive than i ever imagined.
    phobicsquirrel:
    the huge amounts of money given to private military contractors. Or the huge breakdown of our privacy and rights thanks to the patriot act. Or one of the biggest re-structuring of govt in our history with homeland security.
    i agree. there are problems with these systems as well. as i said above, every time the scope of the government is increased, there is a violation of rights going on somewhere.
    phobicsquirrel:
    For some reason it's okay to give countless money to large institutions but when it comes to upgrading our countries infrastructure or our schools or our manufacturing or anything that will push us ahead of the rest of the world the GOP are against it (some dems too).
    larger taxes hurt companies. and higher taxes are what the Dems are for. as for schools... we keep putting more and more money into them but keep falling further and further behind other countries.
    private schools are not as far behind.
    maybe its because the government shouldnt be in the business of education, but only in the business of protecting our rights.
    If i could opt out of paying taxes for schools i would. then i would take that money i saved by not paying several thousand a year on those taxes and buy my kids the best education i could find. schools that have to compete for your money will try harder to get you to send your kids there by offering up a better education. this competition leads to better schools. no competition (public schools) leads to mediocrity. i think education policy of the last 50 years or so can back me up on that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    what is so fearful of doing the right thing and moving away from the past?
    what is so fearful? these exact policies are whats bringing down Greece, Spain, Portugal, and the EU in general. the Euro is falling apart, and their deficit spending exceeds the GDP. this leads to a Bankrupt nation. the past may have problems, but the way we are moving is more European. we are a few years behind them now. the past is done. the future is not looking good if we take after Europe the way our current government is trying to.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Seems to me that the GOP once a great party has really just turned into slaves for their masters instead of doing their job, representing this nation and her people. Sad thing is the dems are following...
    that is very true.

BOTH parties need to remember that WE THE PEOPLE are their masters. they are not ours. WE THE PEOPLE have individual rights that they are not to violate. WE THE PEOPLE are their bosses and we can (and should) fire them.

down with incumbents.
    Well Said

"Long ashes my friends."