Home Cigar 101
Options

Higher temps and cigars

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Does it make cigars "mushy" when they are exposed to higher temps?  A buddy of mine just gave me four La Herencia's that he had on a fishing trip....I just had this cigar in the fernenedez dozen sampler and loved it...so I was excited...when he gave it to me they were spongy/mushy...they had been in his car in the heat...wondering if that had an effect..

I smoked one and it burned fine and was OK but tasted lighter than the other I had...I'm hoping some time in the humidor will fix the others but I am skeptical..

Thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    The way I am to understand it, mushy comes from being to humid. The main probelmw ith having high temps is that tobacco beetles hatch if they are exposed to tematures at or around 80 degrees for a few days.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have experimented some with smoking sticks at different temps. The sponginess comes from higher relative humidity's with greater temps. I have found a couple of sticks that I like to get hot before smoking as it alters the flavor profile some. Others do not respond well.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    fla-gypsy:
    I have experimented some with smoking sticks at different temps. The sponginess comes from higher relative humidity's with greater temps. I have found a couple of sticks that I like to get hot before smoking as it alters the flavor profile some. Others do not respond well.
    True, if T is high,RH gotta go down!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    While RH may go down, warmer air is capable of holding much more moisture.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Yes,i was saying as a rule in your humidor,if the T is high,lower your RH cause high T will hold more moisture.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    just dry box them for a day or so, and u will be ok.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Put them back in to a properly maintained humi and they will sort themselves out...