Home Cigar 101
Options

How to pronounce .....

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's how I've always pronounced it, too. (In my head, that is. I can actually read silently.) It's probably because of my familiarity with foam beer can insulators.
  • Options
    CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    I found this - Audio guide called:

Cuban Brands Pronunciation Guide -

Here - http://www.habanocigarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3605&highlight=pronounce&page=3

3rd post down.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm not registered on that forum, and I really don't feel like signing up.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    i felt the same way.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    According to Megan's Law I HAVE to be registered...
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Thread killer, and I hope you were kiddin ...
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Lasabar:
    Totally kidding...

Never been called a thread killer
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    Lasabar:
    Totally kidding...

• Options
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    Lasabar:
    Totally kidding...

That one was slightly disturbing and I was praying you were kidding, now that I know you were .... see Greg's sign
  • Options
    urbino:
    CAO is actually pronounced "cow." Little known fact.
    Do they name the other parts of the cigar differently too?

Do you have to "Curdle the Hoof" instead of Roast the foot?

Are they made with a rich Honduran "Hide" instead of wrapper?

I'm just wondering here... I'm sure there are allot more terms I could have thought of... but then I'm lazy
  • Options

Okay sirius and madurofan, to clear this up you're both sorta wrong.  Everything that has to do with cigars is in Spanish.  So to make life easier if you want to hear how something is supposed to sound find someone that can read and speak Spanish and they'll tell you exactly what it's supposed to sound like.  Tatuaje, the last part is not hey or he (which confuses people into thinking it's "he" like: He walks the dog.) it's actually "heh" with the first h sounding like the h in the word hero, the e sounding like the e in the word flex and the last h is silent.  Just for extra points the word tatuaje actually means tattoo. 

Also criollo is pronounced kree-oh-yo not yo-yo!!  Only the double ll makes the y sound. 

• Options
    PJSaez:
    ...it's actually "heh" with the first h sounding like the h in the word hero, the e sounding like the e in the word flex and the last h is silent.  ...
    Look... It's obvious with a name like Saez that you're Scottish, and scottish folk can't pronounce nothing right... Stick out tongue [:P]
    PJSaez:

Also criollo is pronounced kree-oh-yo not yo-yo!!  Only the double ll makes the y sound. 

Whoops, typo on my part... I was trying to type kree-oy-yo and flipped the first pair...
  • Options
    It's okay now lets go smoke some criollos, drink some scotch and play some golf.  I'll wear my quilt.  LOL
  • Options
    PJSaez:
    It's okay now lets go smoke some criollos, drink some scotch and play some golf.  I'll wear my quilt.  LOL
    KILT damnit KILT! Stick out tongue [:P]

Maybe I was wrong... You must be Danish...
  • Options
    There's two things I hate in this world... Nuclear weapons... and the Dutch
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rusirius:
    PJSaez:
    KILT damnit KILT! Stick out tongue [:P]

Maybe I was wrong... You must be Danish...
    Danish? I dunno, that sounds like a classic Polack blunder to me. (it's ok, I can say that...I'm part Polish :D )
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    OH! Help me out, Lassy. Austin Powers?
  • Options
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Yup! Austin's Dad
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Yup! Austin's Dad
    That's a kickstand!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Yup! Austin's Dad
    That's a kickstand!
    HAHAHA! They must call you tripod! (Ithankyou)
  • Options
    Hey that's not funny I work with a bunch of Danes.  Them be fightin' words.  Also how do you know I wasn't just cold and wanted to take a quilt with me, huh??!!
  • Options
    Lassy I thought it was ... "People who are intolerant of other people's culture And the Dutch."
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Lassy I thought it was ... "People who are intolerant of other people's culture And the Dutch."
    Dammit... you are right...

*Goes over to corner and puts on dunce cap*... *Then thinks to self that if a teacher used a "dunce" cap in today's world I wonder how the trial will go?*
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    *Then thinks to self that if a teacher used a "dunce" cap in today's world I wonder how the trial will go?*
    LMAO
  • Options
    I'll tell you what - Call CAO Cigars at 615-352-0587 and tell the lady that answers with "Thank you for calling See Ay Oh International" and tell her she's saying it wrong.
    http://www.caocigars.com/
  • Options

Davidoff : sh-muck

Awesome =)
  • Options
    seriously....

i dont understand all the Davidoff hatred as of late.
    Henke Kelner (the blender for Davidoff) blends in a very unique style. his style is in each of their original brands. (Davidoff, AVO, Zino). they tend to blend a medium bodied cigar with very subtle complexities. in a Davidoff you will almost never find a "smack you in the face" flavor like many of the big brands try to give you. its a very different way of blending than many are used to.

they way i try and describe it is like this:
    most brands aim for a flavor profile. Davidoff aims for it to taste like tobacco. other flavors will seep in when you arent looking

I can understand how you wouldnt like the blending style but for those who do like them and truly appreciate them they are worth every penny. I happen to be a huge fan of the AVO line. it is one of the more expensive cigars that i keep in rotation.

now that i have stated that i like Davidoff, does that make me a snob?

i dont think so.

am i looking down on you because you "dont understand such a subtle yet complex cigar"?

no.
    maybe you do understand it. maybe you dont like it. I dont know. I am not one of your taste buds. I dont know why others like davidoff. maybe some people buy them just because they are crazy expensive. I buy them because i like them

its just sad to see a group of people that love cigars so much spit so much hate in the direction of one of the most detail oriented cigar companies in the business. Henke Kelner is brilliant and misunderstood.
    please, sit down with an AVO domaine (the no.9 is a great size) and give the company a shot.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    seriously....

i dont understand all the Davidoff hatred as of late.
    Henke Kelner (the blender for Davidoff) blends in a very unique style. his style is in each of their original brands. (Davidoff, AVO, Zino). they tend to blend a medium bodied cigar with very subtle complexities. in a Davidoff you will almost never find a "smack you in the face" flavor like many of the big brands try to give you. its a very different way of blending than many are used to.

they way i try and describe it is like this:
    most brands aim for a flavor profile. Davidoff aims for it to taste like tobacco. other flavors will seep in when you arent looking

I can understand how you wouldnt like the blending style but for those who do like them and truly appreciate them they are worth every penny. I happen to be a huge fan of the AVO line. it is one of the more expensive cigars that i keep in rotation.

now that i have stated that i like Davidoff, does that make me a snob?

i dont think so.

am i looking down on you because you "dont understand such a subtle yet complex cigar"?

no.
    maybe you do understand it. maybe you dont like it. I dont know. I am not one of your taste buds. I dont know why others like davidoff. maybe some people buy them just because they are crazy expensive. I buy them because i like them

its just sad to see a group of people that love cigars so much spit so much hate in the direction of one of the most detail oriented cigar companies in the business. Henke Kelner is brilliant and misunderstood.
    please, sit down with an AVO domaine (the no.9 is a great size) and give the company a shot.
    I've had the Davidoff Dominicano Puro fresh from the B&M and it burned like hell outside but the finish was almost peaty and covered my mouth, I knew I was smoking a different kind of cigar.

I enjoyed it immensely and would like to get more if they weren't $20 each... But it WAS good!
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I've heard more than one person call Cow cigars Cad cigars. That O is a bit squashed, I guess.

also, you could add the tilde to the (En-yays) in A